Author Topic: Mac OS 9 Challenge  (Read 13569 times)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Mac OS 9 Challenge
« on: March 01, 2017, 06:19:01 AM »
I have decided to do something fun. Maybe someone else will join in too.

I have decided to move to OS 9 exclusively. 
So everything I do now I will do in OS 9 and use nothing else. The exception is at work. I would have no job due to being a .NET developer and working for a Microsoft Partner (don't judge, it pays the bills).

But outside of work, OS 9 only.  I will start my challenge next week as I want to make sure I have all the software setup to replace everything I do.

So the challenge is to see how long I last before I give in and stop using OS 9.
I will even commit to only using my phone for text and calls only.

Any one else want to give this a try? Post your commitment to try and then again when you give in to newer things.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Mac OS 9 Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 06:34:42 AM »
Sounds like fun!! ;D

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 10:10:03 AM »
Been working on this as my goal for daily use.

Things I've found so far:
MacSSH does not connect to openssh > 6.6.1 without help. I'm too lazy, just down graded those locally.
No VPN software can be found. I need to connect to cisco vpns to do my job.
Virtual PC 4.0 doesn't seem to want to install windows XP. It loops in an error. Could be my DVD drive, not too sure.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »

MacSSH does not connect to openssh > 6.6.1 without help. I'm too lazy, just down graded those locally.
Virtual PC 4.0 doesn't seem to want to install windows XP. It loops in an error. Could be my DVD drive, not too sure.

VPN isn't an issue for me, but the ssh thing may be an issue.  So we may be in the same boat there.
I have a version of VPC though that came with windows xp on a premade disk image.  I'll see if I can find it for you if that would help?

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 01:05:57 PM »

VPN isn't an issue for me, but the ssh thing may be an issue.  So we may be in the same boat there.
I have a version of VPC though that came with windows xp on a premade disk image.  I'll see if I can find it for you if that would help?

Would be awesome to see if the disk image runs under 4.0. For science anyways!
Debian Jessie is the only thing I've seen so far with OpenSSH6.7+ on it. I'm sure with some tweaking, it might not be an issue, but I don't know. 3 hours was too much time and I just recompiled 6.6.1. The reason I suggest 6.6.1 was the patch notes for 6.7 where they turned some features off. I wasn't sure if that meant, they were disabled, or removed, or what, so I went 6.6.1.

I just did a

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc/ssh --with-md5-passwords

I'm sure that's insecure, but they are private machines at home, so I'm not terribly worried. The WEP for airport has me more worried :D

Software I'm using all the time:
macSSH (there's a repo with 'updates' to it, but I couldn't get it to build out of the box)
realVNC FAT
timbuktu
nissus writer 6.5 (I assumed it would write a format my osx machine could use as I own nissus for that....)
project 3.0
VirtualPC
Transmit
Audion
Codewarrior
Finderpop

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 01:32:12 PM »

Debian Jessie is the only thing I've seen so far with OpenSSH6.7+ on it. I'm sure with some tweaking, it might not be an issue, but I don't know. 3 hours was too much time and I just recompiled 6.6.1. The reason I suggest 6.6.1 was the patch notes for 6.7 where they turned some features off. I wasn't sure if that meant, they were disabled, or removed, or what, so I went 6.6.1.

I just did a

I'm sure that's insecure, but they are private machines at home, so I'm not terribly worried. The WEP for airport has me more worried :D

macSSH (there's a repo with 'updates' to it, but I couldn't get it to build out of the box)
realVNC FAT
timbuktu
nissus writer 6.5 (I assumed it would write a format my osx machine could use as I own nissus for that....)
project 3.0
VirtualPC
Transmit
Audion
Codewarrior
Finderpop

I have a Debian Jessie server, but it's not a home one, it's a public hosting machine and I do need to SSH to it periodically.  So this may be something I will have to spend some time on making work.

If I remember correctly the XP disk image came with version 5.  I'll have to check all the disc's that I have. 

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 12:58:49 AM »
My main machine is a MDD and I tend to use OS 9 more than OSX on it. Would be fun to go OS 9 exclusivly and see how much I can do of my daily computing with it ;)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 08:13:23 AM »

I just did a

realVNC FAT
timbuktu
project 3.0
VirtualPC
Transmit
Audion
Codewarrior
Finderpop

I pm'd you the image I have.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 08:15:18 AM »
My main machine is a MDD and I tend to use OS 9 more than OSX on it. Would be fun to go OS 9 exclusivly and see how much I can do of my daily computing with it ;)

That's my goal.  Right now I'm trying to figure out what software I need to make sure I have at least something to do what I need (even if it isn't perfect).

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 03:11:30 PM »
I happen to have a copy of pgp circa 2000, that has PGPNet on it. Gonna test it with a raspberry pi, etc. My thoughts are....

PGPNet -> Pi -> Pi -> WORK VPNS which should then just route all my traffic to where i need them to go, solving my vpn problems.
It would also solve the WEP problem on wifi.

OpenWRT wifi router + WEP -> Only VPN traffic can leave -> Two RaspberryPis for routers. Or something.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 07:41:42 PM »
This sounds like a good plan.
I happen to have a copy of pgp circa 2000, that has PGPNet on it. Gonna test it with a raspberry pi, etc. My thoughts are....

PGPNet -> Pi -> Pi -> WORK VPNS which should then just route all my traffic to where i need them to go, solving my vpn problems.
It would also solve the WEP problem on wifi.

OpenWRT wifi router + WEP -> Only VPN traffic can leave -> Two RaspberryPis for routers. Or something.

For any one else wanting to give this a try you don't have to cut everything out. I've never used only one OS ever.  But there has always been one primary one that I do almost everything with. This is what I will use OS 9 for.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 10:55:35 AM »
Here's my status after one week in.
I haven't been able to switch completely yet.
Three things are delaying, but I am working on it.
1. Email.  I've just been incredibly busy to take the time to set up a pop client.
2. Managing finances.  I haven't had time to figure out the best route for migrating data.
3. And (like the other two issues) not enough time to actually get setup the two machines I will be using primarily.  I was going to setup my desktop over the past weekend, but instead I found out how much I do not like plumbing.  What a time suck it is to do a semi-major replacement of part of our hot water system.

I haven't stopped. I just wasn't able to switch over as quickly as I hoped.

More updates to come as I go through this.

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 09:55:59 AM »
1. Email.  I've just been incredibly busy to take the time to set up a pop client.
2. Managing finances.  I haven't had time to figure out the best route for migrating data.
3. And (like the other two issues) not enough time to actually get setup the two machines I will be using primarily.  I was going to setup my desktop over the past weekend, but instead I found out how much I do not like plumbing.  What a time suck it is to do a semi-major replacement of part of our hot water system.

Email....I install eudora 6. It hard locks the laptop when it goes to fetch accounts... o_O

I've had much success getting CVS to work for code versioning. I'd rather have git or svn, but after a few hours of searching, no such luck.

Coding via CodeWarrior and MPW is coming along. After you fight and fight with codewarrior, and you get it to work, it works rather well. I really like the code hints / completion as an editor. I really dislike looking for libraries to drag into the project. That's really lame.

Virtual PC 6 works great for running XP. 4 for running everything else. Side note, for linux under virtual pc you need the dec driver.

Audion really does it for me for a mp3 player. I just hate the skins. All. Of. Them.

Email client and getting pgpnet will pretty much complete me.

I spend 90% of my time on my ppc laptop now. I love it. Next, getting the MDD to be fully operational :D

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 10:16:51 AM »

Email....I install eudora 6. It hard locks the laptop when it goes to fetch accounts... o_O

I've had much success getting CVS to work for code versioning. I'd rather have git or svn, but after a few hours of searching, no such luck.

Coding via CodeWarrior and MPW is coming along. After you fight and fight with codewarrior, and you get it to work, it works rather well. I really like the code hints / completion as an editor. I really dislike looking for libraries to drag into the project. That's really lame.

Virtual PC 6 works great for running XP. 4 for running everything else. Side note, for linux under virtual pc you need the dec driver.

Audion really does it for me for a mp3 player. I just hate the skins. All. Of. Them.

Email client and getting pgpnet will pretty much complete me.

I spend 90% of my time on my ppc laptop now. I love it. Next, getting the MDD to be fully operational :D

Awesome.

I'm using Classillas e-mail functionality.  Got it setup sot works how I want now.  Both my machines are setup (frankenstined clamshell iBook and MDD).  Just have to setup the finance stuff and I'm good to go.  I really have no use for VirtualPC as the only thing I need a PC for is some messed up floppy drive stuff that VirtualPC won't do.

Realisticly I will use another system for something specific, but I have always done that, but thats not a daily thing so I'm still OS 9 for daily stuff.  I guess I could cut myself off to OS 9 for daily stuff and then for windows stuff I can't use anything higher than 98, but that actually sounds fun (not sure how long that would last though).

Nice to see someone else making an attempt at this as well.

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 05:48:18 PM »
Email clients I've tried and thoughts:
Netscape Communicator: Loads fast on the 667mhz box, supports SSL on imap, it doesn't want to support multiple smtp (or i can't seem to tell how)
Eudora 6: Just hangs my machine up. Have to hold power to shut down.
Classilla, improved Communicator, works great, slow though.
Mulberry: Interface is weird. Doesn't seem to support SSL. It appears there was a SSL plugin, but alas, all the files were on ftp and not on archive.org.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 06:08:22 PM »
Netscape Communicator: Loads fast on the 667mhz box, supports SSL on imap, it doesn't want to support multiple smtp (or i can't seem to tell how)
Mulberry: Interface is weird. Doesn't seem to support SSL. It appears there was a SSL plugin, but alas, all the files were on ftp and not on archive.org.

It took me a while to figure out the multiple smtp on classilla which would be the same as on netscape.  I'll check and get back to you how I did it.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 06:44:13 AM »
Any one else want to give this a try? Post your commitment to try and then again when you give in to newer things.
Guys yo are funny! That is what I do every day since 2002 (or whenever I upgraded from 8.6 to 9.x). No other machine in the house! ;)

What shall I do now, tell you exactly for which tasks I need to use another computer somewhere?

The open VPN seems to be an issue. I tried to find some solution about 4 years ago. There are VPN clients, and there have been commercial ones that I couldn´t find anywhere. I have to see if I got some informations (name, company, ...) left at some HD.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 07:26:59 AM »
Guys yo are funny! That is what I do every day since 2002 (or whenever I upgraded from 8.6 to 9.x). No other machine in the house! ;)

What shall I do now, tell you exactly for which tasks I need to use another computer somewhere?

The open VPN seems to be an issue. I tried to find some solution about 4 years ago. There are VPN clients, and there have been commercial ones that I couldn´t find anywhere. I have to see if I got some informations (name, company, ...) left at some HD.

You are incredibly awesome!

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 01:47:45 PM »

It took me a while to figure out the multiple smtp on classilla which would be the same as on netscape.  I'll check and get back to you how I did it.

When in the area to setup and manage the e-mail accounts, smtp is listed last.  Select that and there is an advanced button.  You can define multiples there.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 02:50:37 PM »

• Netlock from "Apani Networks" (2003)
• TunnelBuilder "Efficient.com" was bought by Siemens
• BroadWay VPN Client by "Ashley-Laurent" (Neon Software)
• PGPnet as stated above, especially "PGP Corporate Desktop"

• DAVE "thursby"

And some clients from VPN providers:
purevpn
IPVanish VPN
Express VPN
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:09:19 PM by Mat »