Author Topic: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Drivers request  (Read 15138 times)

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Drivers request
« on: February 10, 2017, 07:33:23 AM »
i was wondering if anyone is willing to share these drivers:

Extension: Audiophile 2496 Driver
ASIO: ASIO Delta Audiophile and ASIO2 Delta Audiophile
Panel: DeltaPanelPPC
OMS: Delta Audiophile OMS Driver

i just got the card on ebay and the accompanying CD has a later "universal" Delta driver installer (3.1.0) from 2003.. causing pops, freezes etc. could not find any appropriate downloads here despite a lot of info and discussions.  :)
djupsinnig

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Re: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Drivers request
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 11:11:40 AM »
I have like a butt pile of M-Audio driver CD's that have all sorts of drivers on them. Some of them are older disks that have drivers that worked better than the new ones. When I'm home tonight, I will check on that for you.
I know it had the delta 1010 drivers that worked with multiple cards and didn't crash.  The last OS 9 version for that card caused me a lot of headache.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 06:25:24 PM »
Here's the driver I have.  This would include the ASIO, Sound Manager and OMS drivers in it.
Let me know if it works for you.  I might have an older one if I can find my older disc.

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 11:24:36 PM »
i will. thanks alot!
djupsinnig

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 01:43:42 AM »
Problems shifted slightly. If you (or anyone else) can find the original drivers i would be grateful..the Delta AP OMS mididriver as well :) According to manual all drivers should be in a folder on the CD to be installed manually, not by an installer..
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:03:47 AM by dr bu »
djupsinnig

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 06:01:34 AM »
I'll see what I can dig up.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 08:27:37 AM »
This is the oldest driver I have.  It's from 2001 which is when the 2496 was released (if I am remembering correctly).
I read the manual as well, and it's kind of odd that the instructions had manual copying of files.  The ones I provided are for Mac OS 8.5.1 and later.
Is there another issue with the driver I provided?

Additionally the manual for the Delta 1010 has the same instructions.  I have newer revisions that had the same instructions which were not correct.

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 04:36:29 PM »
ok. :( and the OMS driver?

maybe ive been over-optimistic to finally change my 20 years of association with the build-in soundcard.

i use about 15 audio-programs regulary. Absolutely indispensable are:
Max/Msp 4.1, Cubase 5.1, Pro Tools Free, SoundMaker 1.03, Peak 2.62 and SoundApp.

For recording i like Pro Tools because unlike Cubase you can record thru plugins. This guy Dave http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=78970 had PT free working with the 2496 using original drivers. But until now my PT freezes at startup. Cubase seems to work with your drivers. Peak will not load them. Max reports a Sound Manager error at start. SoundMaker will freeze on and off. And the Sound Controlpanel produces clicks when open.

Do you have this card working in a configuration at the moment?
djupsinnig

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 09:14:05 PM »
This is not a card I own.  I have four Delta 1010's, which are handled in the same was as the 2406.
In the case of those, the installer correctly installs the sound manager drivers and OMS drivers. This get's it working as a system sound card.
It usually puts an ASIO driver on the desktop, which I duplicate and put in the ASIO folder of each program.  This must be what the manual means about dragging the ASIO driver around.

I know in the Delta control panel there is a setting for the buffer used in the sound manager. If I don't have that set right I get a lot of similar issues.

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 03:11:29 AM »
well, thanks for looking. :)
the naming of things..discovered a "Midiman OMS support" driver in the OMS folder (not "Delta Audiophile OMS Driver") that pops up in OMS setup as "Audiophile 2496", so one issue less..
djupsinnig

Offline Roman78

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 12:34:15 AM »
The drivers are available on there site:

http://www.m-audio.com/support/drivers-search

At least the Audiophile 2496 drivers, I have the same card and downloaded the drivers from there.

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 01:20:10 PM »
Only ver.3 >:(
djupsinnig

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 08:24:57 PM »
The 2496 Version V2 drivers are (and have been) in the Download Directory... I moved them there about a month ago.
At the top of the page, click "Downloads" in between "Help" and "search"

macStuff

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 06:53:28 PM »
greetings Dr BU!

please check this address:
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.m-audio.com:80/images/global/drivers/MultiASIO_Delta%20AP2496_Beta.sea

mouse over one of the blue dots and select the backup snapshot to initiate the download..
the files are dated February 2002

heres the readme:
02-08-02

Beta Release of Multi-Card Mac ASIO Driver.

This is intended for beta purposes only with no technical support provided.

You will need a 75 Ohm S/PDIF COAX Digital Audio cable.

There is no installer for this beta release.
The two files enclosed only include:
"M-Audio Delta" (multi-card) control panel that includes controls for Multi-Card selection and 
"ASIO DeltaMultiv.098a" driver which is inclusive of all the Delta lines of cards including:

Delta 44*
Delta 66
Delta 1010
Delta Audiophile 2496
Delta DIO 2496
Delta 410
Delta 1010LT
Delta TDIF
Delta RBUS

To assist you in getting multi-card ASIO running on your system here is some info to get you started.

Since there is no installer, files will have to be placed manually.

#1) Download and install the current driver for your series card that you intend to run more than one card with and install it. So if you have two delta 66's, then download and install the installer for the Delta 66 card for OS 9.x from the driver portion of the website.

Note: If you have two different Delta cards, i.e. Delta 66 and Delta 410, run the installer for each card to install the driver file for each card.

#2) Remove the existing Delta control panel from the downloaded installation which will be located in your main hard drive under "\system\control panels".

Note: The existing control panel might be called DeltaPanel PPC or M-Audio Delta.

#3) Place it in the "Disabled Control Panels" folder and replace it the new M-Audio Delta control panel by dragging the new M-Audio Delta Panel into the "Control Panels" folder.   

Note: Only this control panel will allow you to toggle between installed cards properly.

#4) Copy the "ASIO DeltaMultiv0.98a" to the ASIO folder in the application with which you intend to use it with.  (Copy a file by holding the "Option Key" and dragging the file to the destination ASIO folder of your choice.  This will not remove the original file from the download folder so you can have it for other installations as well.

Note:         Make sure that there are NO other ASIO drivers in the same folder as the
"ASIO DeltaMultiv0.98a" driver, otherwise you will have stability and possibly crashing
                      issues with the application.

#5) Run the M-Audio Delta control panel, and you will see at the top right of the panel, there is a drop down menu that allows you to toggle between cards.  The Delta panel will enumerate the cards with a two digit extension to identify the cards, so depending on which slot you put the cards into, card #1 might read D66*13 and card #2 might read D66*14 for one slot or D66*12 for the other slot.  This is just ID'ing the cards.

#6) Multi-Card Sync Operation.

Connections on the card's themselves:

To properly sync two Delta cards, you must use the external S/PDIF connectors to sync the cards together with a 75 Ohm S/PDIF COAX Digital Audio cable**.  One card is selected as the master and the other card is selected as the slave.  On the back of the card, you will see two RCA connectors, one is red and one is white. The top red RCA jack is the S/PDIF In and the lower white RCA jack is the S/PDIF Out.  Connect the COAX cable from the Master card's S/PDIF output (white jack) to the S/PDIF In (red jack) on the second card.

Software Settings In the control panel:

A) At the top right "Multi-Card" should be checked
 B) Under HW settings, the master card should be set to Internal XTAL and the slave card should be set to "S/PDIF In". 
 C) Check to see that you are getting proper S/PDIF sync signal input on the slave card, click on the S/PDIF tab and in the lower left quarter panel marked "Digital Input", you will see "S/PDIF Signal". If no signal is coming in it will say: "Invalid or not present".  If you set the cards up correctly, then it should read: "Valid Input Detected".

*    Note: Delta 44 users do not have external Sync option since there is no S/PDIF installed
      on those versions of cards.  Multi-Sync may work, (selecting Independent in the control Panel)
      but will most likely encounter drifting of signal between the cards.

** A note about S/PDIF when attempting to use a standard RCA audio cable in the place of the     required cabling.

Although a S/PDIF cable has the same style RCA connector as regular phono jacks, it does not have the same resistance as standard audio cabling, thus placing it in it's own category of cabling. The use of a standard audio RCA cable will yield noise in your audio signal and loss of external sync between cards.
    Please use the proper cabling when syncing cards together to yield desired results.

Keep an eye out for further updates.

Thank you.

Midiman Testing Department.

its interesing to note that the supported devices includes the ENTIRE FULL LIST of Delta products
i suspect that later on (arond 2005?) they edited the driver to not allow the Delta 410 to be synced with the 1010LT
in a multicard setup etc etc
in fact, i also suspect alot of the later drivers were altered to purposely not allow people to use these cards in multi setups. $$$ greedy corporations $$$

Delta 44*
Delta 66
Delta 1010
Delta Audiophile 2496
Delta DIO 2496
Delta 410
Delta 1010LT
Delta TDIF
Delta RBUS
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:39:41 PM by macStuff »

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 09:26:11 AM »
Well..still not v.1.x that from hear-say are supposed to get along with ProToolsFree. Thanks anyway. I will give these a go on a beautiful day when abundant with energy  :)
djupsinnig

macStuff

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 02:16:28 PM »
Delta Audiophile 2496, version 1.0
posted 2/14/2001 • Includes BETA version of the ASIO 1 ver. 3 driver needed for programs such as; Retro, Unity, Digital Performer, Peak, and Reason.
installation instructions

heres some info re: the version 1.0 audiophile 2496 drivers
Dating back to February 2001 - valentines day! how romantic <3

after some extensive multi-snapshot searching..
https://web.archive.org/web/20010613055941/http://www.midiman.net/m-audio/html/dr/drdelta.htm
visit this link to download m-audio delta series drivers from (June 2001)

at this location i was able to download the macdelta_ap1.5.2b1.hqx file i have attached
this should be the FIXED + CORRECTED version of the 1.0 drivers you were after
that supports S/PDIF + ASIO properly
posted 3/23/2001
• These drivers have full S/PDIF support. ASIO2 and Sound Manager.

here is a snapshot of the drivers that were posted just prior to this development:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010623231727/http://www.midiman.net:80/m-audio/html/dr/archive/drdelarc.htm here u can see they are saying they are still working on S/PDIF for the audiophile 2496

also note the msg at the top:
These new (2-20-01) Macintosh Drivers now include support for both the 133MHz and 100MHz FSB G4 and all other supported Macintosh computers.

also includes the OMS Driver.. this is what you were after!
i wonder why they didnt add the oms driver to the drivers released in 2002?
*Shrug* anyway, thats another problem solved;)

heres installation instructions to ensure proper install of driveR:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010623230911/http://midiman.net:80/m-audio/html/dr/apsetup.htm

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:38:27 PM by macStuff »

macStuff

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »
It usually puts an ASIO driver on the desktop, which I duplicate and put in the ASIO folder of each program.  This must be what the manual means about dragging the ASIO driver around.

There also was a little app or script that would let u drag the asio file to it, and then it would scan your drive and duplicate it to any folders with ASIO in the folder name i think?

does anyone else remember this?

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 08:04:57 PM »
hmm..what do you do for a living, man 8)
many macthanks for this re-search. ill get back when ive tested. probably in a few days.  :)  :)
djupsinnig

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 01:34:45 PM »

There also was a little app or script that would let u drag the asio file to it, and then it would scan your drive and duplicate it to any folders with ASIO in the folder name i think?

does anyone else remember this?

Yes I do. The versions I had that install from the various version of the delta drivers though never worked for me.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 08:28:02 AM »

Yes... this little tidbit and other info. kind of fell thru the cracks as far as the details.  Depending on the Classic Mac OS application, you sometimes have to try each ASIO Driver and manually drag it to the Specific application's sub-folder that contains the ASIO drivers...

So, keep in mind, some application can use the version 2 driver with no issues, some will crash or have audio artifacts, so you have to use the version 1 driver, and lastly, some, like "Spark" need the "Metro ASIO" driver to prevent pops/clicks; also there is obviously different ASIO drivers for different product lines of M-Audio and lastly... different versions of the same drivers based on revision...

I know this sounds like a nightmare, but the easy solution is...

1)  Find the "ASIO" Sub folder of the Audio Application Host you want to test
2)  Create a Subfolder (within the ASIO folder) and call it "ASIO Drivers not Used"
3)  Copy ALL ASIO drivers, including the Soundmanager ASIO driver into "ASIO Drivers not Used"
4)  Copy a single ASIO driver from "ASIO Drivers not Used" into it's Parent folder, which is the "ASIO" Sub folder (the folder the application looks for ASIO drivers)
5)  Launch the Audio application... this ensures you are force testing 1 driver at a time and you know which one... the application should automatically use the single and only driver available, and test
6)  Repeat for each ASIO driver

In this manner, you can test every driver individually and figure out the best, non-crashing, non-popping driver for each individual Audio Host Application