Author Topic: Where to find "OMS Midi Manager Driver"?  (Read 33552 times)

macStuff

Re: Where to find "OMS Midi Manager Driver"?
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2019, 11:28:19 PM »
Thanks again to those contributors that make this forum such a wonderful source of help and information.  :)

MMtuk:
is there anyway u can share the expert editor software? someone else was looking for it recently here on the forum for use with a vl70-m;

macStuff

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2019, 11:33:24 PM »
I have read that OMS and Freemidi can work together.
I can't imagine where you read that.

Freemidi made certain versions of freemidi have different ways of interacting/connecting with OMS;
there was an OMS emulation mode in certain versions
and there was also OMS compatibility mode in certain version
these two modes obviously work differently from each other;
the proper public documentation of this seems to have slipped past the good people at MOTU
for the most part but there is some mention :
https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/document.1999-08-04.1354548829

i belive freemidi v1.24 > 1.35 were the ones that emulated oms (pretended to be oms when connecting with apps)
and freemidi v1.4 was the one that introduced oms compatibility

not 100% sure what the difference is exactly
see this post i made in 2017; quoting a SOS article from 1996:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1477.msg27677.html#msg27677

dont feel bad i still dont get it either
lol
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/oms-free-midi-pro-tools/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 11:45:52 PM by macStuff »

Offline Irisman

• Veteran Member
  • each day I am older
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2019, 04:32:51 PM »
You only have to connect your Apple Midi Manager apps to OMS:

Make a forum search I had explained this in several occasions.

I Can't find that explanation.... Am I getting too older??? 🤔

Offline Irisman

• Veteran Member
  • each day I am older
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2019, 05:00:34 PM »
Requested file attached . Drop it inside your system folder and configure it using PatchBay as you wish.

I have an older MIDI Application that only understands the equally-old Apple MIDI Manager.  But Apple MIDI Manager only understands built-in serial ports, which my Mac doesn't have (and I can't get the Keyspan USB adapter to work with this configuration).

I saw a post mentioning an "Opcode MIDI Manager Driver".  Essentially, this replaces the Apple MIDI Driver that comes in the MIDI Manager package, and would let me see OMS ports from within the MIDI Manager patchbay (which would -- in theory -- let me use a USB MIDI Interface).  There are screenshots showing this at this link [1].

I have used a similar configuration for years.

Hope this will work for me, as I am trying to make the Soundprocess Visual Editor program (AMM) communicate with an Ensoniq Mirage Rack, using an Opcode Studio 5 LX.

Offline Irisman

• Veteran Member
  • each day I am older
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2019, 06:30:53 PM »
After several headaches, I have my mojo working. Still need some adjustments, but the old non-oms compatible app SPVE (Sound Process Visual Editor for the Ensoniq Mirage), is actually communicating with the Mirage using the OMS MIDI Manager, and the patchbay. Impressive!!

Offline user2020

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2020, 10:22:49 AM »
Requested file attached . Drop it inside your system folder and configure it using PatchBay as you wish.

I have an older MIDI Application that only understands the equally-old Apple MIDI Manager.  But Apple MIDI Manager only understands built-in serial ports, which my Mac doesn't have (and I can't get the Keyspan USB adapter to work with this configuration).

I saw a post mentioning an "Opcode MIDI Manager Driver".  Essentially, this replaces the Apple MIDI Driver that comes in the MIDI Manager package, and would let me see OMS ports from within the MIDI Manager patchbay (which would -- in theory -- let me use a USB MIDI Interface).  There are screenshots showing this at this link [1].

I have used a similar configuration for years.

Thank you for uploading this file, as it probably is exactly what I need to get an ancient Mac editor for a Korg module to work.

For reference, the installation instructions can be found here:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,985.msg3690.html#msg3690
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 11:03:02 AM by user2020 »

Offline y_ito

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2020, 10:29:44 AM »
OMS MIDI Manager Driver 2.0a1
https://web.archive.org/web/19970513104844/http://www.opcode.com:80/downloads/oms/mac/drivers/OMS-MIDIMgrDriver.hqx

OMS MIDI Manager Driver 1.2.3 (included OMS 1.2.3)
https://web.archive.org/web/19970513102619/http://www.opcode.com:80/downloads/oms/mac/OMS1.2.3.sea.hqx

It works fine in OMS 2.3.8(OS9.2.2).
I have confirmed works with EZ Vision 2.0, YAMAHA CS1x Editor, AN1x Editor 1.00b, Visual Arranger.
And, I remember that the CS1x Editor and AN1x Editor worked in Classic environment with USB MIDI,
but I can't confirm because the my iBook broke. Sorry.

Offline y_ito

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2020, 12:42:27 PM »
I have also confirmed works with VL v2 Expert Editor, W5/7 Editor.

Dear, user2020.
Does "Korg module" mean the X5 to N series?
OMS compatible version available.
X05/05 SoundEditor v1.2.1 (for 05R/W,X5,X5D,X5DR)
http://www.korg-datastorage.jp/Software/SoundEditor/X505.sea.hqx
NS5R SoundEditor v.1.1.1 (for NS5R,NX5R)
http://www.korg-datastorage.jp/Software/SoundEditor/NSNX.sea.hqx
N1/N5 SoundEditor v1.4.1 (for N5,N5EX,N1,N1R)
http://www.korg-datastorage.jp/Software/SoundEditor/N1N5.sea.hqx

Offline user2020

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2020, 05:56:26 AM »
I have also confirmed works with VL v2 Expert Editor, W5/7 Editor.

Dear, user2020.
Does "Korg module" mean the X5 to N series?

No, Korg AG3 & AG10 "AG Sound Editor".

I almost have it working, but don't seem to be able to get any output via the connections I made in PatchBay.

In OMS I get output when I use the test function, both from my MIDI controller and the AG3 module.
I however cannot figure out how to patch my MIDI controller in OMS so I can play the module directly via my USB interface. So I tried connecting the MIDI controller output to the module input in Patchbay, but that also does not work. The AG Sound editor is also connected to the module input in Patchbay, and that also fails to work.

What I am using:
  • PowerBook G4 Aluminium 1.5 GHz running OS X 10.4.11 & MAc OS Classic
  • MidiMan MidiSport 2x2 USB (yellow and blue version) - works with OMS in Classic
  • OMS driver for PatchBay installed, shows up properly in PatchBay. MIDI controller is configured as a source, Korg AG3 is configured as a destination.
  • AG Sound Editor, can only work with PatchBay, and shows up properly in there.
  • In PatchBay I made the following connections: AG Sound Editor MIDI OUT -> OMS driver MIDI IN for AG3, OMS driver MIDI OUT for MIDI controller -> OMS driver MIDI IN for AG3

Still, everything behaves as if PatchBay was not configured...

Offline user2020

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2020, 09:13:48 AM »
Well, I managed to get it to work...

I had the cables set up in such a way that my MIDI controller was hooked up to the MIDISport's MIDI IN A, and the AG3 to MIDI OUT B. This works fine in OMS in test mode.

Out of curiosity, I changed the port to with the module was attached to MIDI OUT A. This means that according to OMS both MIDI ports in use belong to the MIDI controller (and therefore the OUT port has the wrong name in PatchBay). However, it also fixes my issue with controlling the module from my MIDI controller while both are connected via the MIDISport...  :o

The only other thing I can imagine is that the AG3 (well, its OEM cousin from I/O Data) uses a different device ID than most Korg modules, so when set up as a Korg module on port A with device ID 1 it simply won't react, but surely in that case I should have seen activity on the MIDISport's LED for that port despite the module ignoring the commands... ???

The editor also works (it has realtime control of all parameters...). ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 09:36:58 AM by user2020 »

Offline xavierbzh

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2020, 12:38:02 PM »
Thanx for OMS Midi Manager Driver

It did the trick.

At first it didn't work but it was because I wasn't putting it in the right place. I tried in the OMS folder in the system and in the same folder as the Patchbay application. Doesn't work. It just needs to be put in the System folder.

Thanks a lot, Xavier.

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2021, 07:59:24 PM »
Yes, OMS Midi Manager from OMS 1.2.3 works perfectly with Patchbay when running OMS 2.3.8, using the OS9  Yamaha VL editors to edit the Yamaha EX5, simultaneously along side Freemidi 1.45  under OS 9.2.2 on a G4 1.25 dual MDD. There is also the Freemidi OMS Emulator (Freemidi 1.3), but that is very buggy.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 08:32:20 PM by coachla »

Offline ioguie

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2021, 04:22:17 PM »

Oh holy night.  This lets me use Peavey SP Remote on my Wallstreet G3.  So happy.  Thank you!

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2021, 07:10:11 AM »

Oh holy night.  This lets me use Peavey SP Remote on my Wallstreet G3.  So happy.  Thank you!

Finding this little file cause me a lot of headaches in the past. And was so useful once I get it to work.  ;D ;D ;D
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline jmacdoug

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2021, 09:05:36 PM »
iRISHMAN you talked about using studio5xl and Ensoniq Mirage with spve editor.
Can you explain your setup please? Laptop/tower? OS Version/Hardware etc.
Did you mange to get SPVE to write the proprietary mirage floppy? Is there a way to share presets?

I also have a mirage and a studio 5xl, i would like to use the g3 wallstreet (I managed to successfully replace the LCD Cold cathode tube)

Other post have talked about needing a native68k machine to reliably communicate with the mirage (Baud rate etc).
Maybe this is a work around?

thanks,

Offline Irisman

• Veteran Member
  • each day I am older
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2022, 02:22:26 PM »
iRISHMAN you talked about using studio5xl and Ensoniq Mirage with spve editor.
Can you explain your setup please? Laptop/tower? OS Version/Hardware etc.
Did you mange to get SPVE to write the proprietary mirage floppy? Is there a way to share presets?

I also have a mirage and a studio 5xl, i would like to use the g3 wallstreet (I managed to successfully replace the LCD Cold cathode tube)

Other post have talked about needing a native68k machine to reliably communicate with the mirage (Baud rate etc).
Maybe this is a work around?

thanks,

Sorry for late reply; I just saw your message when trying to solve this forgotten thing.

5 years later I have now my SPVE editor for Mirage running under Os 7.5.3, using a Studio5LX.

The tricks are the following:

1 - You need OMS installed on your system. Go to OMS setup, and be sure to mark the option "Run MIDI in background". Click ok. If it was already activated, is ok.

2 - In OMS Setup, you have to program your Studio5 in the compatibility settings on the OMS Setup-->Studio5 menu-> compatibility setup and choose the port that has the Mirage connected bidirectionally. Choose the Mirage port por both "Standard interface in" and "Standard interface out" (check also Sysex and MiscSysex for the Mirage). It is recommended to save the settings on a file on your hard disk.

3 - If all is correct, now your Mac believes that you have connected a standard MIDI interface to the corresponding serial port.

4.- Check your system folder: check that it is NOT present the Apple Midi Manager, PatchBay.

5.- Check your extensions folder: you must have the classic "Midi Manager" (apple), and "Open Music System" extensions.

6.- Check that you do NOT have on your system folder the "OMS Midi Manager".

This setup worked for me, and saves me using a dedicated computer only for really very old AMM MIDI apps that wants specifically the AMM with standard midi interface to work, as it is with the SPVE software.

I am happy to know that I am not the only one left in the world using OMS and SPVE... Great!

« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 04:31:31 PM by Irisman »