Author Topic: Where to find "OMS Midi Manager Driver"?  (Read 33568 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Where to find "OMS Midi Manager Driver"?
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 09:27:11 PM »
there is a freemidi OMS driver isnt it?

Where ???

i think it comes with the freemidi installer
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 05:42:23 AM »
there is a freemidi OMS driver isnt it?

Where ???

i think it comes with the freemidi installer

In what version? But Freemidi version 1.38 has OMS emulation, but if use that, you cannot use devices with OMS driver (or I don't know how).
But that version 1.38 installer has Midi Manager Driver (newer installer doesn't), but although I installed it, I don't see it Apple Midi Manager PatchBay. Could it be that I dont't have any MOTU hardware? Can somebody test this?

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 05:46:51 AM »
AMM has limits and doesn't know shite about USB because it's ancient It pre-dates both OMS and FreeMIDI. I used it on my very first Mac Plus a looong time ago. Just for perspective, at the time , I had a 2400 baud modem and that was cutting edge!

AMM works with any device (including USB) with that OMS Midi Manager driver. I tested it.
Only problem is now how to make AMM, OMS and Freemidi get together.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 07:39:59 AM »

In what version? But Freemidi version 1.38 has OMS emulation, but if use that, you cannot use devices with OMS driver (or I don't know how).
But that version 1.38 installer has Midi Manager Driver (newer installer doesn't), but although I installed it, I don't see it Apple Midi Manager PatchBay. Could it be that I dont't have any MOTU hardware? Can somebody test this?

i cant remeber exactly whath process was and where i had the freemidi oms from.

regarding AMM, that needs to have to AMM system extension installed too i guess. ...you have? :)

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 11:21:54 AM »
Here's a question for you Teroyk:

What the Hell is a "Keyspan Pro"?…………This mysterious device that "needs FreeMIDI"?

It appears (at least as far as I can tell so far) to be the only thing that's making you think you need FreeMIDI at all.
Problem is, personally, I've never heard of it. Every Keyspan device I've ever seen has a model number.
I've also never heard of any Keyspan device made specifically for MOTU.

I'm beginning to suspect you're creating a problem for yourself that doesn't really exist.
Please provide the actual model# and description of your Keyspan device AND the Mac model and OS you're using.
There's a pretty good chance you just have the wrong Keyspan driver.

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 02:14:37 PM »
Here's a question for you Teroyk:

What the Hell is a "Keyspan Pro"?…………This mysterious device that "needs FreeMIDI"?

It appears (at least as far as I can tell so far) to be the only thing that's making you think you need FreeMIDI at all.
Problem is, personally, I've never heard of it. Every Keyspan device I've ever seen has a model number.
I've also never heard of any Keyspan device made specifically for MOTU.

I'm beginning to suspect you're creating a problem for yourself that doesn't really exist.
Please provide the actual model# and description of your Keyspan device AND the Mac model and OS you're using.
There's a pretty good chance you just have the wrong Keyspan driver.

oh..Sorry. Keyspan SXPro PCI is actual model (4 serial ports). Mac model is Powerbook Titanium with Magma PCI expansion in PCMCIA slot. And ofcourse OS 9.2.2. With Freemidi and Keyspan you can put to serialports all stantard serialmidi devices. But how to make those serialmidi devices from Freemidi to show OMS or Midi Manager?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:33:38 PM by teroyk »

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »
i cant remeber exactly whath process was and where i had the freemidi oms from.

regarding AMM, that needs to have to AMM system extension installed too i guess. ...you have? :)

I have AMM installed and I even tested first that it works with OMS with that topic driver.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 02:42:04 PM »
OMS Midi Manager driver has to be in System Folder and not System Folder/Extensions/

it should work in the system folder, but oficiallly it should go in the OMS folder in the system folder. you will find a folder there with lotsa OMS drivers.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 05:27:36 PM »
oh..Sorry. Keyspan SXPro PCI is actual model (4 serial ports). Mac model is Powerbook Titanium with Magma PCI expansion in PCMCIA slot.
Oh shit. Now I see. We're in an alternate universe here.
OK, let's see…you're running a Magma and 4 serial ports via PCI… I have only one question…WHY???

Some observations:
• If you have so many things connected that you actually need a Magma chassis, you almost certainly should be using something other than a laptop.
• You could hang a Keyspan USA-28 on one of the USB ports, get perfect emulation of Mac serial ports, plug in say, an Opcode Studio 4 or 5 and run OMS and MIDI Manager without a hitch.
• I still don't understand why you need FreeMIDI unless that's the only way you've found to "see" the SX-Pro. It that's the case, you probably need to change something in the Keyspan Manager - which I assume you have. You should be able to get OMS to "see" it as well…BUT:
• Neither OMS or FreeMIDI are intended to see or use 4 serial ports. The timing will go all to hell.
• Especially if you're trying to force large gobs of data through the PCMCIA port.

My conclusion is: You will never, ever get OMS and FreeMIDI to run simultaneously, talk to each other or generally co-operate in any way. I think there must still be more to your setup you haven't yet revealed here for you to have put this together and so at this point I'm completely stumped.

Good luck and best wishes. Perhaps someone else here can help.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2017, 04:02:00 PM »
There were only a few instances after prepping many os 9 daw systems back in the day where I had to make OMS and free midi coexist.

If I had a difficult client that needed multiple DAWs like Cubase and DP and they had multiple pieces of MIDI hardware (MOTU Midi and some legacy serial device).  I remember that I would install freemidi (with OMS support for a MOTU usb) the then OMS. even this simple scenario had a specific order and was a nightmare. What you are describing, IMO would best be done with diffent extension sets and I doubt you could have freemidi, OMS, amm simultaneously loaded.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2017, 04:44:49 PM »
I remember that I would install freemidi (with OMS support for a MOTU usb) the then OMS.

according to MOTU you must first install OMS :D but the real fun begins when you also need midishare :D

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2017, 06:27:47 PM »
There were only a few instances after prepping many os 9 daw systems back in the day where I had to make OMS and free midi coexist.

If I had a difficult client that needed multiple DAWs like Cubase and DP and they had multiple pieces of MIDI hardware (MOTU Midi and some legacy serial device).  I remember that I would install freemidi (with OMS support for a MOTU usb) the then OMS. even this simple scenario had a specific order and was a nightmare. What you are describing, IMO would best be done with diffent extension sets and I doubt you could have freemidi, OMS, amm simultaneously loaded.

Yeah…what HE said…

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2017, 07:42:08 PM »

Remember when I was in Mac Hell for a couple years? Nothing has ever defeated me. Nothing, I tell you!... Except for getting Free Midi to work with my system. I literally gave up on MOTU software on my old system and I'm not sorry for it. There's nothing wrong with running a system of MOTU gear and software - that's fine and it would probably be decently stable, but getting that to work on a system with all of your other software is a god damned NIGHTMARE IF THERE EVER WAS ONE!  :o

Man, I'm getting PTSD just thinking about it  ???

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2017, 08:38:02 PM »
getting that to work on a system with all of your other software is a god damned NIGHTMARE IF THERE EVER WAS ONE!  :o

Take a few deep breaths Syntho!! Haha! ;D

Offline mmtuk

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 07:13:22 AM »
Thanks to all who've had their say in this topic - after several months of trying to get Yamaha Expert Editor and my VL1m talking to each other I've finally cracked it! My problems seemed turned out to be a corrupt version of the Expert Editor software and, most crucially not having the OMS midimanagerdriver software. The latter seemed to be the most important link in the system as I'd have never got things working without it.

Despite documentation saying that the Expert Editor would work with a MIDI interface alone, no amount of coaxing would produce anything but errors - with or without OMS or AMM. I don't think that in all my 30 years of working with computers have I ever been so frustrated and determined to resolve a computer/software/interface problem. The driving force was always that without the Expert Editor, I would never gain full access to the full potential of my VL1m.

If Rudy Verpaele doesn't gets the support and encouragement he needs to spur him on to write a brand new VL1 editor in the style of his awesome VLWizard softwarefor the VL70m and PLG VL cards, there may never be an alternative to the antiquated setup I now have. Neither SoundDiver or MIDI Quest come close in my opinion.

My final (fully working!) setup is a PowerBook G3 266MHz, OS 9.2, OMS & Opcode Studio 5LX. I do have lots of other 'ancient' hardware hence the choice of a Studio 5LX. I particularly like its flexibility and potential use independent of a computer once the patches have been set up.

I'm deeply indebted to you all!
"What the mind of man can conceive, and truly believe, he will achieve" - Norman Vincent Peale

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2017, 10:13:38 AM »
 ;D

Wow... Glad you did not give up.  Sometimes just talking out loud helps you fix something yourself when others cannot get you there.  You are one tenacious MF, again, great job

Offline mmtuk

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2017, 03:39:06 AM »
Thanks for your comments.

Having got it working as per the above spec. I then proceeded with success on all the other G4 PowerBooks I have accumulated in the past few months, albeit in "Classic Mode".

Having gained a bit more knowledge I discovered that the latest OS9 bootable laptop (without mod's)  :)was the 1GHz G4 A1025 PowerBook. I didn't have much luck finding a working one for sale so ended up buying three faulty/broken ones from eBay and managed to assemble a fully working one from bits acquired from all three. I can now strip down and rebuild one in minutes!

Looking back I can't help feeling that it would've been a lot easier to get a MOTU/Clockworks setup running on a current spec. PC, but that would've been far less fun wouldn't it - and I wouldn't of been able to run Expert Editor. The right choice was made.

Thanks again to those contributors that make this forum such a wonderful source of help and information.  :)
"What the mind of man can conceive, and truly believe, he will achieve" - Norman Vincent Peale

macStuff

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2017, 09:32:37 AM »
question: where to find oms midi manager driver?

answer: http://macgui.com/downloads/?mode=search&search_keywords=midi+manager

this is where i have been downloading this from the past year or so, im not aware of any other sites that have it posted for download!

the actual files are dated frm the early 90s i think 1993?

macStuff

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2017, 06:37:05 PM »
back to the Original Post..
Where to find the "OMS MIDI Manager Driver"?
i downloaded thse files frm here: http://www.rcsprogramming.com/miditools/Main.html

macStuff

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2019, 09:25:59 PM »
Remember when I was in Mac Hell for a couple years? Nothing has ever defeated me. Nothing, I tell you!...
Except for getting Free Midi to work with my system. I literally gave up on MOTU software on my old system and I'm not sorry for it.
There's nothing wrong with running a system of MOTU gear and software - that's fine and it would probably be decently stable,
but getting that to work on a system with all of your other software is a god damned NIGHTMARE IF THERE EVER WAS ONE!  :o

did u ever read the post i made back in 2014 here:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1477.0