Author Topic: Did the MDD CPU modules have some kind of underneath support bracket?  (Read 6278 times)

Offline s0s

• Enthusiast Member
  • I love my 4.0GHz wife
    • Tech Stuff Only
I've never used an MDD before, but I bought some individual components, planning to build my own. Anyway, tonight I noticed that the MDD CPU module has 3 screw holes. Out of all of them, only the one closest to the RAM slots has a small hole under it.

I thought that maybe these holes were designed for some kind of support, because the module is kind of flimsy; it wiggles up and down a little bit.

Then I noticed from this article https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Power+Mac+G4+MDD+CPU+Heatsink+Replacement/1625 under steps 3 and 5, that his CPU module has what looks like some kind of support bracket, but when I looked on ebay for any, there weren't any results.

Do you guys have a support bracket of some kind for your CPU module?

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Re: Did the MDD CPU modules have some kind of underneath support bracket?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 03:24:21 AM »
There is a support bracket that you wedge the CPU in. This bracket is mounted on the motherboard and not the CPU. The holes are probably there because they used the same shape for the MDD CPU as the old G4 CPU modules which where tighten in place with three screws.

It's nothing the MDD uses either way (the 3 holes that is)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 03:07:51 PM »
It's a bracket that helps prevent trashing the big daughterboard connector if you should  push it down when it's not perfectly aligned - something that's very easy to do without it since you can't see if the plug and socket are aligned when you're installing it.

Note that this mistake will instantly brick both the CPU card and the motherboard!

It gets lost easily because it's not attached to anything - it just fits over the two posts at the front end of the card.
If you can't find one, PM me and I'll mail you this one.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 07:43:21 PM »
I
Note that this mistake will instantly brick both the CPU card and the motherboard!

Yes... we're not masons around here and want nothing to do with bricks!!!!! ;D

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
I thought that maybe these holes were designed for some kind of support, because the module is

The MDD and xserve CPU modules are interchangeables, those holes is to attach the heatsink when the CPU module is placed on a xserve.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 08:32:55 AM »
Aha... the mystery is solved! ;D