Author Topic: plug and play AGP Video card that fully supports 1920 X 1080 ?  (Read 17951 times)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: plug and play AGP Video card that fully supports 1920 X 1080 ?
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 06:49:14 AM »
hopefully there is an answer in thee somewhere. http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2005040811124189

Yes there seems to be a bunch of things in there to check out! ;D

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 10:49:12 AM »
Hey this card Works! 

It didn't at first, but that turned out to be a driver issue. Even though I have 9.2.2 installed it was still running the 2.4 Nvidia drivers. I updated it to 3.5.2 and it fired right up using the DVI connection.

HOWEVER! Here is where it gets weird.

I connected my second DVI monitor to the ADC port using the Formac ADC to DVI adapter and for no apparent reason the G4 wont even turn on, no lights nothing. I had to disconnect the ADC adapter and leave the G4 unplugged for 5 minutes and then reconnect power (without the ADC connection) to get it to turn on.

What the heck is that all about?

Hmmm, I don't think I've ever experienced that with any of my ADC-based cards in any machine type.  I don't like making guesses, but I'd have to think this is either some peculiarity with the particular ADC/DVI adapter you got, computer firmware revision, or video card ROM version.  Does your card have the 1121 ROM or is it older?  You can see that in System Profiler under its PCI device tab.

I don't think this behavior is normal for ADC cards.  I've found all the AGP G4s occasionally act really weird or picky, particularly the Quicksilver followed closely by the MDD.  Every now and then I have to do a PMU reset to restore function.  Something as simple as a partial OS crash can cause this - it's never really one specific trigger.  A PMU reset might fix your machine's behavior too.  Even my Xserves have had this problem occasionally.

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 07:19:35 PM »
Hey this card Works! 

It didn't at first, but that turned out to be a driver issue. Even though I have 9.2.2 installed it was still running the 2.4 Nvidia drivers. I updated it to 3.5.2 and it fired right up using the DVI connection.

HOWEVER! Here is where it gets weird.

I connected my second DVI monitor to the ADC port using the Formac ADC to DVI adapter and for no apparent reason the G4 wont even turn on, no lights nothing. I had to disconnect the ADC adapter and leave the G4 unplugged for 5 minutes and then reconnect power (without the ADC connection) to get it to turn on.

What the heck is that all about?

Hmmm, I don't think I've ever experienced that with any of my ADC-based cards in any machine type.  I don't like making guesses, but I'd have to think this is either some peculiarity with the particular ADC/DVI adapter you got, computer firmware revision, or video card ROM version.  Does your card have the 1121 ROM or is it older?  You can see that in System Profiler under its PCI device tab.

I don't think this behavior is normal for ADC cards.  I've found all the AGP G4s occasionally act really weird or picky, particularly the Quicksilver followed closely by the MDD.  Every now and then I have to do a PMU reset to restore function.  Something as simple as a partial OS crash can cause this - it's never really one specific trigger.  A PMU reset might fix your machine's behavior too.  Even my Xserves have had this problem occasionally.

There is a lot more info about what is going on at this link. http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2377.0.html I have traced the problem I believe back to AGP pins 3 and 11 conflict. As soon as I connect the ADC adapter it shorts a pin (called soft power) and tells the card to look for 24V on the return from a MAC ADC monitor. This sends a signal through AGP pins 3 and 11 that tell the G4 to wait. Pressing the pram until you are blue in the face will not fix this problem.

This link talks about pins 3 and 11 http://themacelite.wikidot.com/pins-3-and-11

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2017, 07:34:05 PM »
This Geforce4 MX32 video card has the 1121 ROM. Card version 165.

My G4 quicksilver is
733 Mhz
1.5 gigs of ram
Rom revision $77D.45F6
Boot Rom      $0004.25f1
Mac OS ROM  8.7
USB  driver 1.5.6

If push comes to shove I have two more G4's I use for parts, I could always swap mother boards