Author Topic: Getting MIDIPal to work with Freemidi / MTP AV / MidiExpress XT  (Read 4810 times)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Getting MIDIPal to work with Freemidi / MTP AV / MidiExpress XT
« on: January 27, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »
Hi everyone,

So I have a MIDI Pal http://mutable-instruments.net/midipal

this is a a small device that gives you things like chord memory and arpeggiation.  It's vital that it receive MIDI Clock from my G4 Mac OS 9.2.2 with Digital Performer 3. 

It has a midi in and a midi out.  no thru. 

See the attachments to see my setup currently.  i've tried a few things but nothing has worked so far.

one thing I noticed is that I don't know how (if it's possible, but it must be) a way to route specific in devices to go to specific out things..   like if i had 3 musicians playing different midi controllers, they should be able to be routed to specific instruments vs all going to everything. 

This is how i imagine it should work but i don't see how to do it:

1- I direct my midi controller to the MIDI Pal to send it the notes it needs and along with that, DP3 would send midi clock as well. 

2- Then I treat the MIDI Pal as a controller and route it to talk to another specific device.

This should I would hope avoid the midi feedback i get with the current configuration. 

Any help would be amazing! 

Thanks
Caleb
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:56:54 PM by part12studios »

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Getting MIDIPal to work with Freemidi / MTP AV / MidiExpress XT
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 01:55:26 PM »
We just now went through this exact issue:  http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3077.msg24134/topicseen.html#new

You didn't do a very good job of describing what you're trying to do but it sounds like you want the MIDIPal to to effect a chord or such from one keyboard and then send it to another and you've got a feedback loop that may or may not be MIDI clock.

OMS has a routing window and a way to prevent this (see the above topic) - with a little luck, you can get FreeMIDI to do the same.
If that's NOT the problem, try describing it again.

Also, posting 3264x2448 screenshots (did you try to open them?) makes it a lot more difficult for anyone to want to get involved.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 03:52:40 PM »
yea yikes.. first time i tried attachments like that.. lol.  not good.  I'll fix that.

and yes the idea is to figure out how to direct notes/midi info to a specific device and then have that device send other specific notes.. 

Filtering might do the trick in some way, but it feels like it's more about being able to pin point exactly which devices are sending what to what..  and Freemidi seems perfectly capable of that level of precision.. I need to research more, but that other thread did get me thinking of some other stuff.

Thanks!
Caleb

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 05:05:40 PM »
Cool. Note that you'll probably have to configure the MIDIPal as a controller rather than a plain ol' sound module.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 06:07:48 PM »
yea i tried that..  i really need to figure out how to get multiple instruments to be routable to different modules.  i'm sure there is a way..  might have to break out the dp3 manual..  i have it on my macbook but it's in the shop till monday so i'll have to dig into that stuff then.

I banged no DP3 some more tonight but no luck after reading the other thread.  I really think this routing thing (which must be possible!) is the key.  I just think it must be some kind of option hidden somewhere to enable..

I find it hard to believe that DP3 wouldn't allow an electronic drummer to trigger a specific drum module on a specific midi channel while a keyboardist is playing at the same time to control some other synth module..  but by default the "input" section of it is grayed out.. while the audio input section can be clicked and adjusted accordingly. 

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 07:27:43 AM »
I guess the idea of having the midi pal be routable is too much.  I still have one thing I want to try once i get my hands on my DP3 manual today, but what I will have to settle with I think is running it to a dedicated synth.  I may devote it to the Juno 106 since it doesn't have any arppegiation / midi clock support. 

I'll report back though if I have any breakthroughs..  The dream would be that I could apply the midi pal's abilities to any synth in the entire freemidi setup but it may really be beyond what the devices original intention was.