Author Topic: Looking for TurboSynth 2.23  (Read 11387 times)

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
Looking for TurboSynth 2.23
« on: January 20, 2017, 10:28:28 AM »
  Does anyone have a copy of this available?  The last version I can find for download is 2.21, but I know there was also 2.22 and 2.23 released which extend hardware support further.  I'd like to try it out, and it seems like a great use for a very basic older Mac computer because the software is so 'light-weight'.  Apparently it also supports the SA4 cards directly, which is great since I was not really interested in the challenge of sourcing and using Pro Tools 3.x TDM on that hardware.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Looking for TurboSynth 2.23
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 12:59:39 PM »
will have to look tomorrow.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
  • Quadra 700, G4 MDD, Mac mini
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 12:35:58 PM »
hi,
it looks like 2.22 added better functionality with the rest of the digidesign software stable but did 2.23 increase sample length? or allow stereo preview?

Does anyone know if the 'diffuser' module which requires a h/w DSP card works with Samplecell Nubus? Or do you need an Audiomedia Nubus card, for diffuser,  as well as the Samplecell for playback without  a sampler?

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 11:36:20 AM »
hi,

Turbosynth - info

I have managed to get 2.23 to work fully, via an Audiomedia III PCI card on a G3 Beige.  By fully, i mean the 'diffuser' module that only works with Digidesign DSP cards.  The manual does not mention the Audiomedia III, because it was not in existence then but i can attest to it working and it does have a DSP chip on-board.

However, I haven't managed to get 2.23 and the Diffuser module to work with Samplecell II Nubus on a 840AV.  This is despite the manual referring to the SampleCell card as being a method of utilising DSP for the purposes of the Diffuser module. This is disappointing.  Has anyone else had any luck with SampleCell and Turbosynth 2.23?

I did try and post up the complete manual on here but the attachment is too big.

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 12:43:42 PM »
hi,

i now have a Audiomedia ii Nubus and have the diffuser module, in turbosynth, working all inside a 840av.

I'm still going to try and look for a solution for the G4 and a pci based card.  Right now my audiomedia iii pci is the wrong revision for the g4....

Diffuser is an interesting but lo-fi reverb ... so far...i'll keep testing

Offline CurtisC

• new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 07:50:19 PM »
Hello, I have been trying to find Turbosynth 2.23 everywhere. Would you be able to share with me the link where you found it?

Offline tomekx

• new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 11:04:15 PM »
Hello, I have been trying to find Turbosynth 2.23 everywhere. Would you be able to share with me the link where you found it?

Please.

macStuff

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 08:02:24 AM »
Right now my audiomedia iii pci is the wrong revision for the g4....

what version would that be? can u share more info about this please?
i didnt know there were diff "versions" of the AMIII..
good to know as i have almost bought one more than a few times
but still havent pulled the trigger on that one

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 08:38:02 PM »
  Any PCI card that uses an AMCC PCI Matchmaker S5933Q 1st revision chip as the bus bridge will fail on any post-beige powermac.  There is a bug in the chip which makes it incompatible with the later PCI bus specification used on the B&W G3 and later machines.  The AMCC chip must have a revision letter code of "C" or higher for it to be compatible, ie "S5933QC".  Most commonly you will see "C" or "E" revision on the correct chips.  Ignore the revision stamp on the card - just pay attention to the AMCC chip revision.

This affected a great many cards of all types from many manufacturers.  It was a plague of sorts at the time once the bug was found.  Digidesign used to offer a program where you could send your Digi cards in for refurbishment specifically to desolder and replace the offending AMCC chip (they would also stamp a new revision code on the card).  While working with a fine-pitch 160-pin chip of this nature is quite difficult, I have done the re-work myself on Sonic Solutions USP PCI cards with good results.  There were two other types of Sonic Solutions cards I tried the conversion on without it working.  This led me to believe that some cards need firmware or driver updates to make them work with the new chip revision.  I have never been able to get confirmation of whether Digidesign cards will work just with a chip swap or if they require a firmware update at the same time.  I would prefer to know this before I go to the effort and risk of replacing the chips on some of my own Digidesign cards.  I've asked the question on this forum before and never got an answer.  If it was as simple as a chip swap then I'd probably make a side business out of it.  I have at least one spare S5933QE chip on hand for a future conversion, and tons of them are still available through electronics component surplus dealers.

Back directly on topic, I'm still looking for TurboSynth 2.23.  Hopefully someone has this stashed away in their collection somewhere.

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 01:51:55 AM »
hi,

i had two audiomedia cards and it turns out i gave my friend, to whom i gave a g3, the wrong version of the card.  So i swapped them back. Now i have rev C in my G4 MDD and it works alongside Digidesign Mix Core.  I need to check whether i get diffuser for sure now.

I have a Quadra 840AV with audiomedia , with which diffuser works.

I have 2.23 and the earlier version with which you can use samplers direct (SMDI Dump).  Can we upload it somewhere. I also have the manual....keep reading the manual as it does cover 2.23...there is an addendum at the back

Try these downloads and let me know if it works

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 01:52:42 AM »
turbosynth manual scan is too big...PM me for that.

Offline systemseven

• Enthusiast Member
  • 7.6.1 Electronic Music
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 05:23:03 PM »
For folks who might come across this thread in the future:
There is no version 2.23 of Turbosynth.  2.22 is the last version.  I believe the confusion comes from the naming convention used for version 2.21x3.  2.22 is out there in the garden for those looking, and is the last version - though it removes external sampler support in favor of Digidesign's own SampleCell cards, so YMMV

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 01:40:05 AM »
2.22 adds diffuser , as well as removing direct sampler communication.  diffuser needs a digidesign dsp card and whilst i have an audiomedia ii and it appears as dsp in 'hardware setup' within turbosynth i can't get anything out of diffuser.  the diffuser icon, with audiomedia ii. is at least not hashed out.

os8.1 quadra 840av with audiomedia ii nubus

Offline WhiteWarlock

• Enthusiast Member
  • SynthWizards/N01ZE
    • SynthWizards
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 12:02:48 PM »
have working version of Turbosynth v2.21x3
yet also have v2.0 NC17 with sampler support
yet for some reason v2.0 gives me error every time hit play
using it with Digidesign 442 on 7100
no clue why v2.0 NC17 is giving errors
would prefer getting v2.0 with sampler support working
not sure important since have some version functional
Has anyone encountered this or have any hints for getting the older version working correctly?
also looking for some Sample Cell 1 extensions and/or utility for seeing if it even is recognized in nubus slot
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 04:47:39 PM by WhiteWarlock »

Offline Blzproductions

• Valued Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 09:32:55 AM »
I have TurboSynth SC2.23, and 2.21x3

Using it with SampleCell II TDM, on a MIX3 system with Logic as the front end.
Can record, open recorded files in Turbosynth, and then (once mangled) play direct in the session via Samplecell.

System is 888/24s, so the Diffuse function doesn't work...which is a shame. Might see if the 442 is MIX system compatible, as there are some floaring around on Ebay. Shame I don't have one anymore (Had a 4 channel NuBus system about 20 years ago).

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2019, 12:11:00 PM »
I've used it a bit on a Lombard with OS9 recently, just the in-built audio. It flies on the G3, of course, feels almost real time.

Offline systemseven

• Enthusiast Member
  • 7.6.1 Electronic Music
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2019, 01:20:57 PM »
I have TurboSynth SC2.23

can you post a screenshot of the "about" page for your version 2.23?

Offline Blzproductions

• Valued Member
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2019, 05:23:45 AM »
Sorry... My Bad..

I have 2.22 and 2.21x3