Author Topic: What's the fastest Clamshell iBook?  (Read 4984 times)

Offline s0s

• Enthusiast Member
  • I love my 4.0GHz wife
    • Tech Stuff Only
What's the fastest Clamshell iBook?
« on: January 01, 2017, 01:05:41 AM »
According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBook#Models the first two Clamshell models have 512KB of L2 cache, so I was thinking the middle Graphite one at 366MHz and 512KB L2 cache would be the fastest model. But the Tangerine one was always my favorite color, so I was sad to see the colors aren't equal. I know 66MHz isn't a lot, so I'm still kind of thinking about going with the Tangerine, but I wanted to get other people's opinions first on which would be the most powerful Clamshell.

I found 19 topics relating to Clamshell iBook, but none of them covered this point. The majority of them were about problems, and the majority of the remainder were introductions.

I'm still thinking the 366/512 Graphite, but prefer Tangerine's aesthetics lol

What say you? :o
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:19:58 AM by s0s »

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Re: What's the fastest Clamshell iBook?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 08:26:57 AM »
There was the final one which was the 466 mhz SE with firewire.
Only available in Key Lime and Graphite

The fastest Tangerine was the original 300 MHZ no firewire.

I own a Tangerine and an Indigo 366 mhz with firewire.

There is a pretty noticeable difference between the two.   
The faster CPU and the faster L1 and L2 cache are the reason.

Both of them are pretty damn cool to use.
I use the Indigo daily and it's just a fun computer to use.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline s0s

• Enthusiast Member
  • I love my 4.0GHz wife
    • Tech Stuff Only
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »
The third "gen" of the Clamshells had half the L2 cache, but are you saying they're faster due to the combination of higher CPU clock rate and faster (PC100 vs PC66) RAM? I saw that, but I don't have much experience comparing and calculating 2 different systems, so I thought that maybe the more cache would actually let the CPU do more work without waiting.

But if there's a noticeable difference, then darn! I've always wanted a Clamshell, and a Tangerine one, but I also want the fastest one I can get lol. I guess I'll have to get all of them :P j/k

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 12:20:20 PM »
Whatever you come across, consider the RAM - the usual 64M is rather restrictive for OS9 if you want to actually do some work with it. I've not stumbled across anything to fit in my Blueberry, but it's working pretty well as a server...a

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 09:20:02 PM »
The third "gen" of the Clamshells had half the L2 cache, but are you saying they're faster due to the combination of higher CPU clock rate and faster (PC100 vs PC66) RAM? I saw that, but I don't have much experience comparing and calculating 2 different systems, so I thought that maybe the more cache would actually let the CPU do more work without waiting.

But if there's a noticeable difference, then darn! I've always wanted a Clamshell, and a Tangerine one, but I also want the fastest one I can get lol. I guess I'll have to get all of them :P j/k

Yes a larger cache is better, but because of the CPU clock speed being faster, the cache running faster and the RAM being faster, it's noticeable. 

Honestly though, they are both fun, good machines. Allow the the performance difference is noticeable, I would pick the one that feels more fun when it comes to the clamshells even if it was slightly slower.   That's just my opinion though. ( I tend to get a bit of an emotional attachment to certain computers, thus the reason my indigo sees daily use)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline s0s

• Enthusiast Member
  • I love my 4.0GHz wife
    • Tech Stuff Only
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 11:03:40 PM »

Yes a larger cache is better, but because of the CPU clock speed being faster, the cache running faster and the RAM being faster, it's noticeable. 

Honestly though, they are both fun, good machines. Allow the the performance difference is noticeable, I would pick the one that feels more fun when it comes to the clamshells even if it was slightly slower.   That's just my opinion though. ( I tend to get a bit of an emotional attachment to certain computers, thus the reason my indigo sees daily use)
;D totally understand. Well, I would get one, but they're so expensive on ebay! The PowerBooks are almost cheaper, which makes no sense (I didn't search for a PowerBook until after the Clamshells, because I figured they'd be more expensive).