Author Topic: Website about customizing Mac OS 9?  (Read 9137 times)

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
Website about customizing Mac OS 9?
« on: December 26, 2016, 06:08:02 AM »
Hey everyone,

been thinking about a side-project for the holidays and the idea that I came up with is to create a Website on customizing Mac OS 9.

I always loved the freedom the classic Mac OS gave me in terms of creating the productive environment I want. Be it changing the entire OS theme to give it a new look & feel or customizing the Apple Menu. Certainly many OS X users coming back to Nine don't even know (anymore) about the vast possibilities our beloved OS offers.

My idea is to shed a light on some of the more popular features along with downloads of popular themes and wallpapers.

I'd write a very low-weight hand-coded page that is fully Classilla-compliant. Possibly even supporting older browsers. Basically, I think it'd be awesome if you could surf the page using a text browser like WannaBe on your old 1996 PowerMac and download a new desktop wallpaper.

Granted, there are several places that host such files. But really, I feel there is a niche for a page that covers all that stuff in detail and allows for ways to explore the capabilities of Mac OS 9.

Now before I'd get working and sink several hours of work into it, I'd like to hear back from ya'll. Is that something that you would be interested in using?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 06:30:05 AM by Bolkonskij »
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Re: Website about customizing Mac OS 9?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 06:21:59 AM »
Yes! It's something i would love to see and use. I'm thinking of making a Mac OS 9 related links and News page with links to everything even remotly pre-OSX related.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 06:34:30 AM »
Thanks for the feedback! It's the old MacDomain gang that keeps things going, eh? :-)

I love your idea of creating what could basically be the "Home Page" of every classic Mac OS user. This definitely deserves another a thread of it's own! Go ahead and open one :-)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 06:51:21 AM »
Thanks for the feedback! It's the old MacDomain gang that keeps things going, eh? :-)

Indeed ;)

I can't do the site on my own though. There's too much work keeping up with all the new stuff happening and maintaining everything. I am a part of Macintosh Garden nowdays as well, but I would love to make the Mac OS 9 home page come true and I don't think there will be too much work if I can assemble some dedicated and interested people to join me  ;) *wink* *wink*

I know that Mat here on the forum is interested in something like this.
Maybe the "home page" can be combined with your customizing page in some way?
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 07:07:40 AM »
This seems to call for an e-world 2.0, huh? :-)

Count me in! Can we somehow branch this into another thread to continue talks on how we'll be proceeding?

« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 07:25:50 AM by Bolkonskij »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 08:42:38 AM »

I love your idea of creating what could basically be the "Home Page" of every classic Mac OS user. This definitely deserves another a thread of it's own! Go ahead and open one :-)

and we thought that is MacOS9Lives.com
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 02:50:04 PM »
I'm still waiting for someone to re-write our site :(

www.macos9lives.com

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 03:57:50 PM »

www.macos9lives.com

Yeah. It looks like we need an entire reference section with like, charts and shit stuff.
Hell, we still don't even have a file index for all of the little bits and pieces of invaluable drivers and such.
What started out as a forum has become a kind of "OS9 Central" where one finds (if one can) the most advanced and esoteric information available regarding all aspects of our beloved old OS.

I would do it if I could but I'm just not the coding kind.
What we need is a sane Chris…

OR…

What do you think it would cost to get somebody with skills to create such a beast? Someone smart enough to "get it" and young enough to do it for less than the gig is worth?
Maybe we could run a private Kickstarter thing here to get it happening. I'm good for 50 bucks or so…

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 04:02:51 PM »
Thanks Gary,

I like the idea of it being Forum based and having the actual downloads as read only boards with links... but many cannot find what they need quickly.  Every-time we make more boards at the main site, I get complaints that the main forum page is "too long"

But with many child boards, people don't know where to find things...

Do you guys think we should move more boards at the root level ?

This will make main page grow longer

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 06:17:05 PM »
what i sometimes miss is an option to have all post in one big list, sorted by last activity, because it is actually hard to refind posts.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 01:52:26 AM »

www.macos9lives.com

Yes, but iirc you wanted it just like it is now, just a more modern look. This is not what's being discussed :)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 02:04:06 PM »
Yes, but iirc you wanted it just like it is now, just a more modern look. This is not what's being discussed :)

I welcome any ideas, a complete re-write with a vintage or modern look is fine :)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 04:13:04 AM »

I welcome any ideas, a complete re-write with a vintage or modern look is fine :)

Look, yes, but we want different information/data on the site compared to macos9lives.com. This is what you wanted to keep like it is IIRC. So then theres nothing else to do than starting another site for that :)

Offline WolfpackN64

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 05:28:44 AM »
What I wouldn't mind is a more centralized and clear location for the projects that want to extend further OS9. While discussion about it on the forum here is good, information on these projects is scattered and downloads are too. Though I wouldn't mind seeing such information on the MacOS9Lives website, but maybe under a different tab?

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 06:29:35 AM »
What I wouldn't mind is a more centralized and clear location for the projects that want to extend further OS9. While discussion about it on the forum here is good, information on these projects is scattered and downloads are too. Though I wouldn't mind seeing such information on the MacOS9Lives website, but maybe under a different tab?

That's exactly what i feel as well and want to create. I have no problem with it becoming the new main site of Macos9lives.com, but I strongly feel that it cannot be just another forum, the information would simply just get lost.

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 11:25:58 AM »
Maybe we can combine our efforts? It'd be sad if the remaining Mac OS 9 would further scatter. There must be so many more OS9 users left we need to gather under one roof.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 02:33:57 PM »
Look, yes, but we want different information/data on the site compared to macos9lives.com. This is what you wanted to keep like it is IIRC. So then theres nothing else to do than starting another site for that :)

The Digital Audio Aspect can just be another TAB/Location. I NEVER said or claimed I that I did NOT want to change the main site and open it up to all Mac OS 9 users.  Chris was the "Audio Only" advocate, but we don't have to worry about that anymore :)

I have no problem re-arranging the forum and/or changing the main site to have a landing portal for all OS 9 users.  Also, a direct link to the garden.  There is always a better way

Offline Apfel

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 02:56:58 PM »

www.macos9lives.com
I like this landing page very much and am happy that it hasn't changed since a long time back and I know some quick info I sometimes need to point someone in other forums to are found there, because I don't have to fight with a new design or something, where the content has been rearranged completely.

RE the opening post.
Hey everyone,

been thinking about a side-project for the holidays and the idea that I came up with is to create a Website on customizing Mac OS 9.

I always loved the freedom the classic Mac OS gave me in terms of creating the productive environment I want. Be it changing the entire OS theme to give it a new look & feel or customizing the Apple Menu. Certainly many OS X users coming back to Nine don't even know (anymore) about the vast possibilities our beloved OS offers.

My idea is to shed a light on some of the more popular features along with downloads of popular themes and wallpapers.

I'd write a very low-weight hand-coded page that is fully Classilla-compliant. Possibly even supporting older browsers. Basically, I think it'd be awesome if you could surf the page using a text browser like WannaBe on your old 1996 PowerMac and download a new desktop wallpaper.

Granted, there are several places that host such files. But really, I feel there is a niche for a page that covers all that stuff in detail and allows for ways to explore the capabilities of Mac OS 9.

Now before I'd get working and sink several hours of work into it, I'd like to hear back from ya'll. Is that something that you would be interested in using?
You mean like a teaching site which explains people how they can change the look of OS9 in the preferences that are in OS9 from stock?

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 03:09:52 PM »

The Digital Audio Aspect can just be another TAB/Location. I NEVER said or claimed I that I did NOT want to change the main site and open it up to all Mac OS 9 users.  Chris was the "Audio Only" advocate, but we don't have to worry about that anymore :)

I have no problem re-arranging the forum and/or changing the main site to have a landing portal for all OS 9 users.  Also, a direct link to the garden.  There is always a better way

Then we're on the same page Jerry. I must be thinking of Chris somehow. Sorry :(. Me and Bolkonskij are working on a new design and we will let you know when we have something to show you :)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 06:41:28 PM »
guys, dont get lost in design and content questions ^^ - the first choice which has to be made is what concept the site should have and who and how should decide things.

i personally wouldnt mind if we add photoshop plug-ins (because i still lack 3 or 4) but we must be careful that we dont end up collecting BeOS distributions or discussing nitendo games.

i can tell you from my experience that it wont work out to install anarchism and take it for democracy. if the site owner lets everyone join the team of decision makers, this only starts a neverending dicussion about possibilities instead of someone actually working on things.

about the start page, i dont like it. but the point is, i dont mind that i dont like it, it is not my business. it is not my site, and i am free to bookmark the forums only.