Author Topic: All desktop icons gone. HD and everything. Help  (Read 4332 times)

Offline nickmt

• Valued Member
All desktop icons gone. HD and everything. Help
« on: November 25, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »
This is on top of the post I just posted re keyspan twin, and also, neither,  Iogear usb to serial adapter able to communicate to serial device.

I was enabling a disabled extension for the Keyspan.  I updated and restarted, and boom, no more icons on my desk top.

Anyone know how to get them back?

thanks
Nick

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Re: All desktop icons gone. HD and everything. Help
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »
if its os 9 hold ctrl when you see the apple logo and select a base config and see if it works. after that enable one by one and find the culprit. i know its tedious but unless you got that app which could do the job for you there is no other way to my knowledge.

best regards chris

supernova777

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »
i think u may want to look up how to "rebuild your desktop file"

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2344

^^ read this page
it will tell u to:
Restart your computer while pressing the Command and Option keys
and has further instruction

Offline nickmt

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 07:12:35 AM »
Holding control when I see the apple logo first appear (little smiling computer), or holding command option while starting makes no difference.  No matter what it starts up normally, but shows zero menu, or icons on desktop.

I may have a boot disc, as it says boot disk, and someone wrote MDD on it.  It may have come from Headgap, the guys who sold me this tiger per loaded hard drive. Maybe there's a way to boot from it, if it is the right thing?  Not sure how, but I'll keep searching, and any other advice would be much appreciated.

As noted in the other thread (Keyspan) Chris9lives thoughtfully suggested, if I understand properly,  I put a downloadable, from this site, copy of OS9 into a different drive, and then use it to start this G4, but I don't really understand how to do that.  I'll look for step by step instructions.  Any other suggestions are so very much appreciated.

Offline nickmt

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 08:44:24 AM »
Good news. I've restored the desktop, and saved the current extensions in the extensions manager. The boot disk worked. I used first aid.  Then restarted, holding down shift, to turn off extensions.  Then selected the locked base set of extensions in the extensions manager and restarted.  It worked.  Then I save them with today's date.  Credit also goes (a lot of credit) to Cheryn at Headgap systems.  They sold me this 9.2 hard drive and are very patient with me.  Thanks! Now back the the previous problem on the other thread.  Thanks for all your support!!

Nick

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »
sorry my bad i was talking about shift not ctrl or option.