Author Topic: How to get my Desktop Printer Symbols back?  (Read 4331 times)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
How to get my Desktop Printer Symbols back?
« on: December 21, 2016, 03:56:58 PM »
After a backup of the entire disc that I did by dropping the whole disc to the new one, all my desktop printer symbols are gone. I do not remember how I get all that symbols (most are PPDs used from within Laserwriter 8) back to the desktop.

Can you explain it to me? Also I do not completely get why these printers can only exist once at a Mac, and are automatically deleted from the original place when I copy them to another,  ... ?

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: How to get my Desktop Printer Symbols back?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 01:30:57 PM »
Nobody any idea?

Come on, the knowledge is at some brain here! ;)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 09:45:00 PM »
i never really got a hang on desktop printers, desktop accessories or the suitcase file format because i dont think these things belong to how a macos should work.

but when i remember right, a desktop printer symbol is something like an alias... which is automatically created whenever you choose a new printer in the chooser utility while the printer is connected and running so that the driver finds it.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 10:22:18 PM »
After a backup of the entire disc that I did by dropping the whole disc to the new one, all my desktop printer symbols are gone. I do not remember how I get all that symbols (most are PPDs used from within Laserwriter 8) back to the desktop.

Maybe re-building the desktop?
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4