Author Topic: Install mac OS 9 with the CD "Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install"  (Read 4979 times)

Offline Patrick Philipot

• Valued Member
  • new member from France
Install mac OS 9 with the CD "Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install"
« on: December 08, 2016, 04:28:03 AM »
Hi,

I have a CD with the "Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install". I've already used it to install mac OS 9 on a PowerMac G4 QuickSilver.

On the PowerMac, the task was quite easy. I've add a new disk to the one previously in place which I kept unchanged. This disk was for Mac OS X. Now the PowerMac boots mac OS 9 with the other disk.

My problem now is with another machine. An imac G4 flatpanel with a 40 Gb disk booting Mac OS X Tiger.
I have copied the mac OS 9 "System Folder" from the CD to this disk so I can use the Classic Mode.

I would like to go further and remove Mac OS X Tiger and install mac OS 9 instead. Will the CD provide all that is required for that task ?

Besides I would like to avoid accessing physically the disk, because it's quite difficult to get to it.

Regards from France
patrick
pat

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Install mac OS 9 with the CD "Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install"
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 01:32:03 PM »
Are you able to successfully boot off the system folder you use for Classic? If yes, then you know your installer is ok.
I would back-up, format and partition your drive into two (not forgetting to install OS9 drivers if doing it from X) , restore your back-up to one partition, then install fresh OS9 onto 2nd partition.

Offline Patrick Philipot

• Valued Member
  • new member from France
Re: Install mac OS 9 with the CD "Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install"
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 12:04:24 AM »
Thank you

I did it and it worked gracefully. I did not kept mac os X to save disk space (The disk is only 40 Gb). From what I got from here, mac os 9 is the best OS for this machine.

On verra bien !

Regards
patrick
pat