Author Topic: B&W and Tempo ATA133 hate each other and should seek therapy.  (Read 4033 times)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
B&W and Tempo ATA133 hate each other and should seek therapy.
« on: November 28, 2016, 08:02:53 PM »
I have that Sonnet Tempo ATA133 I had acquired for testing things related to the G4 Xserve.
So it works in my working MDD and my DA, but the thing will not work in the B&W.
Try as I may, if it is installed it will not do anything beyond chime. Take it out and it boots fine.
Try all the PCI slots, with and with out drives plugged into it, with and without a drive on the built in ATA controller and every combination known to man.

I'm not ruling out some issue with the B&W, but is it common for those machines to be picky about cards that are installed?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: B&W and Tempo ATA133 hate each other and should seek therapy.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 07:14:58 AM »
I have had some nonsense troubles with some PCI and AGP cards also. Some of them where related to the insertion point issue, ie: some cards need to be inserted half a millimeter or so before the full insertion point. :o
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 09:58:08 AM »
I have had some nonsense troubles with some PCI and AGP cards also. Some of them where related to the insertion point issue, ie: some cards need to be inserted half a millimeter or so before the full insertion point. :o
I'll mess around with it a little more. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has had goofy issues like this.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »
So playing around some more and now the card is not working correctly in any machine. It will allow a boot half the time and the other half it locks the machine.
It also won't recognize known working drives.  So I believe in my poking and prodding at the card in my research, I have totally messed it up. 

So now I'm looking for a pci ide controller.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 02:21:56 PM »
Problem solved!!!!

So it is/was a very simple solution.  The bracket on the card that allows you to screw the card in place was not exactly on there correct.  It was off just enough and bent in just the right way that secured or not the card would not sit right.  Not sure why it worked when I first got it though.
So I took the bracket off and it works fine.  Bent the parts back into shape and adjusted the mounting to the actual card and still works great.

Pretty damn pleased with this now.

Of course this is after I bought a new card (oh darn now I have two.)