Author Topic: Installing 5 disks in a B&W  (Read 4316 times)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Installing 5 disks in a B&W
« on: November 08, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
So I have this Sonnet Tempo ATA controller. (this was talked about with the xserve stuff)
So i am finally getting around to actually using it rather than just poke at it. So I got a bunch of drives. Six actually, but two are tagged for other things since the Sonnet only takes 4 drives.
So I have this B&W I use as a file server so my thought was to put the four drives (250 GB each) in the B&W with the Sonnet.
So problem on is that I'm leaving the existing drive in for the system and application files so these new drives will be completely for file shares.
So two questions.
1. Any good idea's how to physically install 5 drives in a B&W?
2. Is it a really bad idea to use splitters for the power as there are only two open connectors in my system.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Re: Installing 5 disks in a B&W
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 01:22:10 AM »
calculate the power consumption of the 4 extra devices. you might have to find a stronger power supply. can you fit one from a newer machine ?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 01:19:07 PM by devils_advisor »

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 02:04:17 AM »
The on board PATA controller in the B&W G3 can't use drives bigger than 128gb either. Well, you can use them, but only the first 128gb of the drive. Just so you know. Might be a good idea to source one more Sonnet Tempo and keep the on board PATA for boot and apps.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't get that you won't be using the internal PATA for the big drives until the second time I read your post.

I can recommend using a DOM SSD for boot and apps if you want something small that don't use a lot of power.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 06:16:54 AM »
calculate the power consumption of the 4 extra devices. you night have to find a stronger power supply. can you fit one from a newer machine ?

I will have to check on that one for sure.
The pinout for the powersupply for B&W and for a standard ATC PC supply are identicle except for pin 18.
Do you know if any one has used a standard PC supply in the B&W.  I know it is done in the Beige G3 by switching a jumper.

The on board PATA controller in the B&W G3 can't use drives bigger than 128gb either. Well, you can use them, but only the first 128gb of the drive. Just so you know. Might be a good idea to source one more Sonnet Tempo and keep the on board PATA for boot and apps.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't get that you won't be using the internal PATA for the big drives until the second time I read your post.

I can recommend using a DOM SSD for boot and apps if you want something small that don't use a lot of power.

I'll check on a DOM, but most of the one's I've seen are tall enough that the the case won't close based on the location, but the current drive works well.  It does appear there is room for all 5 if I get a second drive sled.  I was more curious if any one had done it. But thank you for the input. I will definitely check it out as an option.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 03:10:50 PM »
I was able to get 5 disks in. Though I switched to a G4 AGP, but same space as the B&W
It is a very very tight fit.  I just have to figure out how to get some sort of power to the fifth drive.