Author Topic: Reccomended method to installing OS 9 on an eMac?  (Read 5086 times)

Offline KiritoSwordArtONLINEfan

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Reccomended method to installing OS 9 on an eMac?
« on: November 08, 2016, 05:00:12 PM »
Hello all! I've been trying to install OS 9 on my eMac G4 and at first i tried installing it to my USB HDD but no matter what I couldn't get it working. So now I decided to install to Macintosh HD instead (which has OS X tiger already installed but with no OS 9 drivers).

So right now I am booted into the Mac OS 9 Rescue & Install CD and i'm wondering if I should use drive setup to initialize Macintosh HD and then re install Tiger followed by installing OS 9. Will it work this way?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Reccomended method to installing OS 9 on an eMac?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 07:39:58 PM »
When you say "G4 eMac" you are hopefully referring to one of the first two eMacs that originally were capable of booting OS9 natively.
If not, you're probably SOL. Booting OS9 on unsupported eMacs is still wishful thinking
    See here:http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2466.0.html

If so, fine. Keep reading.

If you want to keep Tiger and have a dual-boot machine, you'll have to start by re-formatting the entire drive. You can do this in OSX (I'm assuming you have the Tiger Cds or DVD).

From the Tiger install disc:

1. Initialize the HDD with "OS9 drivers" checked
2. Partition the HDD in two. (What sizes I can't say - I don't have any idea what you'll be using. If it's big enough, cut it in half)
3. Install tiger into one partition.

Note: Installing OS9 Classic is optional. You CAN have both OS9 classic and a full OS9 on the same machine. While Classic basically sucks for anything audio, it can be useful for other small things in a dual-boot setup. If you're unsure, leave it out - you can add it later if you want.

4. Go to >>System Preferences / Spotlight / Privacy<<  and prevent spotlight from searching the other entire soon-to-be OS9 partition.
     This is important - Spotlight will repeatedly frack up your OS9 files otherwise!

Then: Download the Universal 9.2.2 image from here: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,305.0.html

Follow the directions to use Disk Utility to install OS 9.2.2 into its partition.

Enjoy.

Offline KiritoSwordArtONLINEfan

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Re: Reccomended method to installing OS 9 on an eMac?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 08:10:21 AM »
Hey! thanks for the reply! I unfortunately have the 1.25 ghz model which is not supported under OS 9. I did manage to get it working using the "Mac os 9.2 for unsupported G4's" install. however this is the roadblock. It can only run in 256 color mode and games look weird :( thinking about maybe just picking up a Power Mac G3 tower