Author Topic: Sonnet Crescendo software for OS 9 and earlier  (Read 7391 times)

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
Sonnet Crescendo software for OS 9 and earlier
« on: October 23, 2016, 09:23:21 PM »
  I have a number of different kinds of Sonnet CPU upgrades running happily in various systems.  Content that they were working, I never really looked into whether or not I had the latest available version(s) of the Crescendo installer for OS 9 and earlier, nor the OS 9 versions of the various firmware updaters and NVRAM patchers.  At some point much of this dropped off the Sonnet website leaving OS X-only stuff.

Here's a quick summary of what I own:

- Nubus G3 (Several versions from 225 through 500MHz)
- Nubus G4 360MHz
- L2 G3 (240MHz I think, currently reporting such in a Performa 6360)
- ZIF G4 1GHz (One good, one possibly dead)
- MDX G4 Dual 1.8GHz

I got thinking about this because I need to get the ZIF G4 working in a B&W on OS 9, but this machine had only ever had OS X installed.  The system crapped out when the first ZIF G4 apparently died, at which point I reverted to a standard CPU for a while.  The OS X installation has since gotten damaged beyond repair, and I don't have any intention of re-installing OS X on it because it was painfully slow compared to some other machines I've acquired since then.

Please post download links if possible, thanks.

Offline ClairelyClaire

• new to the forums
Re: Sonnet Crescendo software for OS 9 and earlier
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 10:28:58 AM »
I have some stuff. I'm not certain this is what you need, but here's the installers for 2.3.1, 2.3.1b, 3.1, and something I have called "Driver 2.3.1" - it might be identical to the software installer.

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 02:14:06 PM »
it makes me cringe to see mac users posting ZIP files :o theres been a few threads on these basic mac topics,
theres no need to place a .sit file inside a .zip file!!
.sit is already a binary format and is safe enough. it doesnt need to be further encapsulated

i personally prefer to use .img files encoded to macbinary .bin format heres a thread written explaining how to do that from any intel based mac for the purpose of uploading files that are eventualy destined for a mac os 9 machine:

creating img.bin file from OSX for transferring over the net to mac os 9
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2472.msg14126.html#msg14126

a note on expanding:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3173.msg20344.html#msg20344

id love to try a ZIF 1Ghz G4 in my B+W G3 but its so tempermental
i probably would want to track down a yikes machine........ (which ive been meaning to do anyway as the yikes is compatible with some cards that dont work in the G4 AGP versions)

Offline Whhzap

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 09:37:56 PM »
Yikes G3 zero force insertation G4 upgrade  yes they will work provided you have the right firmware  installed Apple originally promised they would be & they were! Then Apple released a upgrade (firmware patch) which ended upgrade to a G4.I know from personnel experience!
If I can find my old G4  processor upgrade zif? You can have it.
It iis Iin a 12 By 16 ft computer shed /doghouse.
But it is a nice doghouse, air conditioned heated &  1/2 bath.Unfortuitously it's primary occupant is a tad  bit messy it will take considerable time to locate it.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 10:54:19 PM »
Well, as geforceg4 is no longer with us (last active November 4, 2016) ;)
I'd be glad to receive that G4 processor upgrade zif, should you ever find it...
and if MacOS Plus doesn't mind. I had actually just been reading the following
when I saw your post...

Wikipedia: "Revision B 350, 400 and 450 MHz units use the same motherboard as the first "Yikes"
version of Power Mac G4 systems at 350 and 400 MHz ("Sawtooth" AGP-based G4s used a different board)
and processor cards for these models are interchangeable. Note that if a G3's firmware has been upgraded
(a required update for installing Mac OS 9), it won't accept G4 CPUs until patched with a third-party replacement
firmware. A Blue and White G3 that has been upgraded to a G4 is able to run Mac OS X 10.4 Leopard."

BTW... welcome to the forum. Great entrance!
This Must Be The Place

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 08:06:09 AM »
Well, you're welcome to it, FDB.  I already own two of them, as well as an OWC (PowerLogix) Mercury G3/1GHz!

I've read about supposedly requiring a specific minimum revision of the Sonnet G4 CPU to be compatible with the B&W G3, but my own experience with the two different ones I have directly contradicted that information.  One word of warning - these things can be a royal pain if the machine has been sitting around without power for a while.  I thought one of mine had failed because the machine would refuse to power on.  The solution was to plug it in and try once to turn it on, unplug it for five to ten minutes, plug in and power on again, and then it would magically 'rise from the dead'.  Also note that the Sonnet G4 has to slow the B&W bus speed to 66MHz due to some weird glitch in the motherboard logic.  The 1GHz G3 does not require this limitation.

macStuff

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 11:06:27 AM »
i had a chance to grab the powerlogix 1ghz few years back for like 70 bucks or something
i passed on it, only becuase of my own experience with overclocking + cpu upgrades being a royal pain in the ass to deal with..

doing MIDI on a G3 doesnt require 1ghz anyway
if doing audio lets hope people have the common sense to go for MDD or Quicksilver Machines or DA at the very least. (or even a hackintosh i7 for that matter)

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 12:34:28 PM »
Thanks MOS+.

Should this ZIF ever materialize, it would be interesting to implement.
(Attempted, future brain-picking may ensue.)

And no, McStuff… no DAW here. “I just do eyes” (graphics). Not ears.
This Must Be The Place

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 07:49:29 PM »
  I definitely do DAW stuff, but I do upgrades more for the 'technological' challenge.  Hence the fact I have dual 1.8 GHz in my Sawtooth, Quicksilver, one MDD and one Xserve!  (I could go on to all my older machines, but I'm going to stop talking now before it sounds like I'm showing off. ;) )

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 08:17:27 PM »
but I'm going to stop talking now before it sounds like I'm showing off. ;) )

Show off!! ;D