Author Topic: CD tray problem on a powerMac G4 Quicksiver running masOS 9.22  (Read 10530 times)

Offline Patrick Philipot

• Valued Member
  • new member from France
CD tray problem on a powerMac G4 Quicksiver running masOS 9.22
« on: October 23, 2016, 03:34:02 AM »
Hi,

I did a fair amount of research but did not find anything yet. Hope someone here will help me.

The CD tray opens under OS X 10.4.11 using the dedicated key on the keyboard.
When booted in Mac OS 9.22 the key has no effect.
I tried Eject with the DVD player app, with no effect too.

However the CD tray opens if I boot mac OS 9 with the mouse button down.

After booting, if a CD is present, I can use it, but I can't eject it.

Basically I need to reboot to install a new CD.

I am suspecting the keyboard which I think is not the original one. It's a white plastic keyboard (numeric and AZERTY) serial is KY71701B9W1UA.

Thanks

pat

Offline paule

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: CD tray problem on a powerMac G4 Quicksiver running masOS 9.22
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 06:45:10 AM »
Hi,
maybe you should test different "Apple CD/DVD Driver" system extensions. As far as I know there have been some complications with special system extension. I am switching between these "Apple CD/DVD drivers when I have problems with my system. Most of the time I am using 1.3 or 1.4 or 1.48. As far as i can remember there was the problem special apple CD driver didn't let me eject it from my keyboard.

Maybe this helps,
paule.

PS: You get different drivers here: http://www.panix.com/~dac/macdgm/

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 07:05:40 AM »
I am suspecting the keyboard which I think is not the original one. It's a white plastic keyboard (numeric and AZERTY) serial is KY71701B9W1UA.

You are using this keyboard, I guess:

... and it's not fully supported by Mac Os 9. Typically the Eject key and probably the volume keys don't work.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Patrick Philipot

• Valued Member
  • new member from France
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 09:43:27 AM »
Thanks !

Yes this is the keyboard attached to my G4. I will now try to get an original keyboard.

ps - I'm amazed how fast I get an answer here.
pat

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 10:14:48 AM »
yep alot of clueless people mix + match parts that dont go together.. unaware of the subtle differences such as the eject key
apple is notorious (was? still is?) for changing things EVERY time they release a new system

Offline Patrick Philipot

• Valued Member
  • new member from France
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 12:53:22 AM »
I've found something new. This article explains how to open the CD/DVD tray of Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver) :

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2286

The most interesting part for me is the Eject application found in the Eject Extras folder. The Eject Extras folder is located in the Apple Extras folder on the CD. I did not test it yet though.

Il y a de l'espoir, as we say in France.

pat

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 06:44:04 AM »
I've found something new. This article explains how to open the CD/DVD tray of Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver) :

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2286

The most interesting part for me is the Eject application found in the Eject Extras folder. The Eject Extras folder is located in the Apple Extras folder on the CD. I did not test it yet though.

Il y a de l'espoir, as we say in France.

Is this the control strip module you are talking about?  I use this regularly on my QuickSilver as right now I'm stuck using a windows keyboard.  If there is a disc in there you can drag it to the trash and that always ejected it for me, but the control strip module works too.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline Patrick Philipot

• Valued Member
  • new member from France
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 08:38:36 AM »
It might be but (well it's embarrassing) I didn't know what the Control Strip was. Now I know. Amusant, non ?

I will check if mine has the little CD in it like here : http://www.macoptions.com/tips/images/csm7.gif

Thanks for the tip !

pat

Offline Patrick Philipot

• Valued Member
  • new member from France
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 12:24:37 PM »
Back home, I've found the Eject application (found in the Eject Extras folder. The Eject Extras folder is located in the Apple Extras folder on the CD.).

It's working fabulously. I've been able to set the  F12 key to open the CD drive, and there's also a Control Strip Module to do the same.

Tout est bien qui finit bien !

Again thank you for the wonderful support.
pat

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 08:12:40 PM »
u can also use the eject button built into toast 4 or toast 5 applications
they will work just the same!

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 06:09:34 PM »
http://web.archive.org/web/20021204215010/http://www.griffintechnology.com/software/software_imate.html

theres another eject tool posted here for download from griffin tech
Eject Key 1.0 - Freeware
This small OS 9 application allows you to assign any Function key to act as a Macintosh "Eject" key. This is great for people who have older keyboards without the eject key including ADB keyboards used through the iMate adapter.

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 12:26:55 AM »
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2641.0

You also have the built into solutions from apple.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 06:40:31 AM »
it should be the keyboard

forget about that DVD app, this program has no idea how to do things.

there are dozens of other methods how to eject a disc. if the CD is mounted you´d just unmount it, if it is empty or unreadable programs like toast or utilities like third party control strips or contextmenu items will do it.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 08:43:02 AM »
  Perhaps we should handle this better as part of our project to update the OS.  It's silly that a non-keyboard method wasn't available by default as installed by the OS installer/restore.  The "Extras" method shouldn't have to be copied manually after the fact.  That's a very simple fix which will help a number of users trying to piece together 'Classic' systems from whatever parts are still available.

This situation could have been completely avoided if Apple hadn't insisted on removing the physical drive button from the case bezel on the QS and MDD.  It was purely ideological, driven by a desire for form over function, and is one of their decisions that drove me the most crazy as it was completely unnecessary.

One other thing we should be able to very easily do for improving the OS is graceful handling of a few more later keyboards.  I have one of those white keyboards which I very much like the key action on so I'd appreciate full compatibility with all the extended keys.  I also have one of those thin aluminum keyboards which is very common and worth fully supporting.

Feel free to discuss the best approach to the issues I've raised.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 12:07:04 PM »
@MacOSPlus:

i was about to say " you only need to modify your keyboard layouts" ... but uh, of course the volume and eject keys were never anything close to keyboard codes and signs. :)

so where is the interface you could modify them?

extra driver extensions, one per device, would be ideal in my opinion, but i am afraid problems are even deeper than possible with INIT level add-ons to the system folder.
insert arbitrary signature here