Author Topic: Portrait video modes  (Read 7956 times)

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
Portrait video modes
« on: October 20, 2016, 08:32:50 PM »
  Other than the really ancient, low res portrait CRTs and the Radius Pivot hardware, is there any way to perform screen rotation under OS 9?  I know this has to be supported by the video card but I've not heard of anything in the later generations that could do it.  I'd like to be able to use 16:9 resolutions on a rotated LCD in a portrait orientation.  Did Matrox ever make any cards for classic Mac capable of this?  There must have at least been some professional hardware for publishing or medical facilities that could do it.

Edit:  I just read about a utility called MacPortrait 6.2.5 which is supposed to work up to OS 9.x.  There's also a method described for hacking it to make it work on higher resolutions, as described here:

http://www.robertgpatterson.com/techtipsfaq.html

Does anyone know where I can download this program?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:43:29 PM by MacOS Plus »

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: Portrait video modes
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
Have fun. Sadly it is quite slow for recent graphic speeds. See here what I did this summer with 3 displays: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3237.msg20587.html#msg20587

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 10:36:29 AM »
Try this link: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8794 -discussion and possible file resources that might be of some use. Hope this helps.
This Must Be The Place

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 10:52:38 AM »
Or this: http://robertgpatterson.com/tech-tips-faq/#anchor#MPRT Although the elusive "Pivot Pro for Mac" v6.2.5 is not linked on this site. Will now search for "MacPortrait Driver". Happy hunting.
This Must Be The Place

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 11:22:09 AM »
I dropped Robert Patterson an email asking if he might provide a copy of his MacPortrait driver. We'll see.
This Must Be The Place

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 11:25:03 AM »
Oh duh, just noticed that Mat provided a link for the file. Never mind.
This Must Be The Place

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 09:07:03 AM »
Awesome, thanks for that, Mat!

Here's my experience so far with it.  I first tried it in my FW800 under OS 9.2.2 with Radeon 9000.  After an initial bomb-crash at startup, which seems to have occured for absolutely no reason, it worked there.  Also tested in a Sawtooth with a Rage Pro and then Radeon 9200LE PCI under OS 9.1, which worked immediately without any bombs.  Performing the hack to allow max resolution also worked properly, and I'm typing this message right now on a 'precariously sideways' 1080x1920 screen propped-up for the test.

One limitation I found is that the software is only capable of rotating whichever video port the operating system deems to be "1".  If you have a two-port card with multiple monitors you have to find out which port is treated as "1" and ensure your intended portrait monitor is connected there.  The same limitation applies with more than one video card present - only the very first port out of all of them will be the one handled by the portrait driver.

What started my thinking about doing this was I just got hold of a large LCD for free and I know I can make it most useful somewhere in my studio if it is in portrait orientation.  It's a bit of an odd-ball thing - Intended for commercial use for public information screens and video walls, it's a 1360x768 resolution but at a 32" diagonal size.  The image quality is great and it has a very wide viewing angle.  This would allow me to see what's going on from a distance if I'm using multiple computers synced together on a particular music project.  At the simplest it's great for my preference for viewing webpages and any documents, especially PDFs, at reasonable scale without constant scrolling.

Perhaps this software can get the kinks worked out as part of our project to extend the capabilities of OS 9.  I don't think it would take much to polish off the user interface.  There really must also be a way to get more than one monitor handled as portrait orientation.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:00:59 AM by MacOS Plus »

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 11:24:22 AM »
Nice! :D
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 05:40:52 PM »

that´s nothing, my mom is running her monitors diagonal.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline jt

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 08:59:39 PM »
Couldn't find the link Matt provided.

I'm trying to run a 19" LCD at 1024x1280 for the boot screen/menu bar and menus next to my 20" LCD workspace (Illustrator8) at 1600x1200.

BTW, your mom is onto somethingI I've been running the 19" LCD in diagonal mode while I try to sort out this schniznit. It's waaay easier to translate the cursor movements back to up/down/left right while tilting my head and wrist to match the LCD' list as opposed to whatever the heck was going down with the desktop in landscape mode on an LCD posed in portrait mode. :P

Any suggestions for my particular situation?
jt - old school vector graphics type - Sound/VidCap n00b.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 03:04:45 AM »
the driver is the the attached file under mats post.

to summarize the info from that website:

- you can patch the max screen resolution of the driver by with a resource editor.
 - you can ignore that the faulty controlpanel will not display this resolution correctly.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 03:17:13 AM »
oh btw, did you see he is using it for sheet music... that makes sense.

http://www.robertgpatterson.com/-fininfo/zpix/SRStudioFron.JPG
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 03:40:54 AM by IIO »

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 09:26:45 AM »
oh btw, did you see he is using it for sheet music... that makes sense.

http://www.robertgpatterson.com/-fininfo/zpix/SRStudioFron.JPG

I really must set up a monitor that way on the digital piano in my studio.  I'd forgotten about that.

Offline jt

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 01:25:26 PM »
OOPSIE! Posted this in the wrong thread, copied it over here as requested.  :-[

Dunno, I'm not used to the user interface over here, maybe that's why I don't see the link in Mat's post that you're talking about. I got the link to the other thread which is very helpful. I see the paperclip, which I'm guessing means there might have been an attachment? A howto for finding that or linkage to the MacPortrait driver would be much appreciated.

Using it for sheet music is a great application for Portrait orientation, especially with a tall format aspect ratio. Brilliant!

Snagged a Macintosh Portrait Display for $20 back in the day. It was fab for writing on the dedicated IIci and later for displaying PDF DevNotes and ServiceSource references from the DuoDock+ while I did maintenance on the growing collection or evil hackage in my spare time on the production machine and it's 21" Radius PrecisionView desktop. I'm intending to do that and more with the new LCD setup. Space constraints and the fact that the 19"/20" mismatch in size with both in landscape mode next to each other disturbs the harmony and balance of my workspace. :o

@part12studios/caleb: did you buy that PCI card and if so, how did it work out for you?

Bright side: found the link here!  :D  Thanks gang!

jt

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 01:56:08 PM »
found the link now? yes it is the attachment under his post. (what browser are you on?)

Offline jt

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 07:58:48 PM »
Firefox 50.1.0 (says it's current) under Win7.

Dunno why, but all I saw was the paperclip yesterday. I just had to force a shutdown because Firefox got wonky, so it was probably already starting to go batpoop yesterday.

THX for the help,
jt