Author Topic: OS 9 stability after power outage  (Read 3675 times)

Offline ClairelyClaire

• new to the forums
OS 9 stability after power outage
« on: October 18, 2016, 06:08:05 PM »
I have a Pismo G3 PowerBook that was on (and plugged in) before, during, and after a short power outage in my neighborhood this morning. I don't believe the outage lasted long enough for the battery to have drained, but I'm not sure, since it happened after I was at work for the day.

Since I got home tonight, the thing has been crazy unstable. I've had to hard reboot multiple times, and at least twice was greeted with a broken folder icon after hard rebooting. Option+Boot to make it boot the OS 9 volume works, at least.

I've reset the PRAM, as well as pulling the battery + power and letting it sit for about ten minutes without power. I haven't had problems with this machine at all, so I'm wondering if the power blip was responsible for something getting corrupted in the OS.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Re: OS 9 stability after power outage
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 06:47:01 PM »
Depending on what it was plugged into and the reason for the power outage there could have been a power surge that screwed some hardware.
I had the same thing happen on an iBook.  Same instability. Turned out that it wrecked the RAM.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline ClairelyClaire

• new to the forums
Re: OS 9 stability after power outage
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 07:46:13 AM »
Blergh, I hope that's not what happened here.

We have a LOT of computers that are on all the time, and this is the only one that's been having problems since the outage. At least my TAM wasn't damaged. :O

I might swap out the RAM and see what happens.