Author Topic: Perverse Mac build idea  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Steve_W

• Enthusiast Member
  • 88 MPH
    • UK Mac Files
Perverse Mac build idea
« on: October 17, 2016, 04:45:28 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of building a PC and running it as a Hackintosh to replace my daily driver (2014 Mac Mini).

This, in itself is not perverse, but I then thought about building it in a G4 tower case.  Then I thought about getting it up and running in latest OS X, but then getting OS 9.2.2 working inside that as a VM.

I thought it would be funny to invite a fellow old mac enthusiast round and show an old G4 graphite or something running 9.2.2 but not tell them about the guts in it and see how long it would take for them to twig.

But, it then got even darker... I wondered if you could then set up a VM inside 9.2.2 running Windows 95!  Which then made me wonder if I could go one step further & run OS 7 or something inside that! So that's a PC dressed as a mac running OS 7 inside Windows 95 inside OS 9.2.2 inside OS X.

How far could one go??
Powermac MDD dual 1.25ghz (9.2.2/10.4.11)/Powermac MDD 867mhz (9.2.2)/12 inch Powerbook G4 (9.2.2)/15 inch Powerbook G4 (10.4.11)/Powermac G5 (10.7.5)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Re: Perverse Mac build idea
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 06:09:01 AM »
I did something similar on Windows 98 a while back (when 98 was still current).
I ran something (wish I could remember) that made windows look like System 7.
You could not tell them apart. I then ran Basilisk and actually ran System 7, but I didn't go any further than that.
Performance sucked, but that's probably more related to the hardware of the day and me not being able to afford even good hardware at that time.  Still it was super fun to mess with people.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!