Author Topic: UAD-1 Confusion/questions  (Read 7862 times)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
UAD-1 Confusion/questions
« on: October 14, 2016, 11:19:24 AM »
So... Interested in a UAD-1 card but not sure how the whole thing works?

When buying a used UAD-1 card....

1) Do they have some sort of 'base plugin configuration' associated with each individual card that comes 'pre authorized' that will work out of the box without UA account/authorization file?

2) Would you need to take 'ownership' of someone's pre-existing account/ authorization file to use the basic plugs associated with that card?

2a) Would you still need the installers for the basic plugs associated with the card or are they somehow imbedded on the card?

3) If you're looking for certain 'optional/purchased' plugs do you need to find a card that they are already associated with and acquire that particular card/ authorization file?

4) As far as multiple card use goes... If you had one card with certain plugs that you wanted and another card that had DIFFERENT plugs, do you need 2 separate Authorization files? How would that work?

5) UAD-1 cards are usable in OS 9 with ProTools using a certain 'RTAS wrapper'? Does that function ok?

Soo as you can see, I don't know JACK about these cards! Haha! ;D ;D

Thanks for any info!

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Re: UAD-1 Confusion/questions
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 11:50:20 AM »
So... Interested in a UAD-1 card but not sure how the whole thing works?

When buying a used UAD-1 card....

1) Do they have some sort of 'base plugin configuration' associated with each individual card that comes 'pre authorized' that will work out of the box without UA account/authorization file?

2) Would you need to take 'ownership' of someone's pre-existing account/ authorization file to use the basic plugs associated with that card?

2a) Would you still need the installers for the basic plugs associated with the card or are they somehow imbedded on the card?

3) If you're looking for certain 'optional/purchased' plugs do you need to find a card that they are already associated with and acquire that particular card/ authorization file?

4) As far as multiple card use goes... If you had one card with certain plugs that you wanted and another card that had DIFFERENT plugs, do you need 2 separate Authorization files? How would that work?

5) UAD-1 cards are usable in OS 9 with ProTools using a certain 'RTAS wrapper'? Does that function ok?

Soo as you can see, I don't know JACK about these cards! Haha! ;D ;D

Thanks for any info!

Here is what i know. If I'm wrong on any points maybe someone can correct me.

1. The installer includes the driver, a utility to add authorizations and configuration and a bunch of base plugins.  Not all of the plugins will be authorized. Some of the plugins are authorized in the card no mater what.  These are hard coded authorizations.  The mackie version of the card has a few more plugins authorized than the non-mackie version.

2. You had to take ownership before, but with Universal Audio dropping support and shutting down the authorization services this is no longer required.  The cards are supposed to hold the authorizations so if you buy a used one and the previous owner did not remove their authorizations then you would get all their plug-ins.  You would still need the plugins though.

3. If they do not remove the authorization then you are good to go.  I'm going to say most people will not provide the authorization files as they may have cross graded to the UAD-2

4. Probably. Unless the authorizations for both set's of plugins are on the same file.  Though if they are both on the cards still, I'm not sure how that works if it will only use the card authorized or since it's an authorized plugin as long as the card is installed it will run on what ever card has resources available.

5.  I can't say personally how well it would function, but based on my experience with what the buffer settings for the UAD-1 card are by it's self I can't imagine that it would be a pleasurable experience.

Hope that helps.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

macStuff

Re: UAD-1 Confusion/questions
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 07:59:51 PM »
https://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2004/april/index7.html

Universal Audio has teamed up with FXpansion to create a special version of their popular VST to RTAS Adapter to work seamlessly with the UAD-1.
This version of Fxpansion’s UAD-1 Adaptor is free to anyone who purchases a Project Pak or Studio Pak.

Once you register your UAD-1 Project Pak or Studio Pak cards at my.uaudio.com, you will be able to download it from our website.
This special UAD-1 version of the adapter will not convert VST plug-ins from other companies.
A full version with support for 3rd party VST plugins is available for sale at the FXpansion web site
and Fxpansion has plans to offer an upgrade from the UAD-1 adapter to the full version later this year.

For over three years, users of VST, MAS, DX, and more recently Audio Unit (AU) compatible applications on Mac and/or Windows, have enjoyed the benefits of the UAD-1. Incredible sounding plug-ins coupled with the host processor saving UAD-1 plug-in accelerator card, are the biggest benefits of using a UAD-1 platform. Excellent product support, non-intrusive copy protection, and inexpensive (but incredible) plug-ins are some of the other fantastic benefits.

Note: If you’re not familiar with the VST to RTAS Adapter software, it adapts the VST plug-ins stored at a location specified by the user, and creates a version of the “adapted” plug-in in the Pro Tools plug-ins folder. The plug-ins appear in the Finder in the same place as the rest of the Pro Tools plug-ins, but these plug-ins are actually special “shortcuts” to the actual VST versions (so don’t throw away the VST versions once they have been adapted!).

To use the plug-ins, you just select them like any other RTAS plug-in. All iterations are supported: mono, mono-to-stereo, and stereo.

You can use any other RTAS plug-ins and other “adapted” plug-ins on the same track as the UAD-1 RTAS plug-ins. They are also compatible with all types of tracks, including audio, aux, and master fader tracks.

-Dave Crane

https://www.fxpansion.com/support/faq/vstrtasadapter/
Will it work with Mac OS 9 VST plug-ins?
No. Your VST plug-ins must be Mac OSX-compatible. *sad face* :(

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/fxpansion-vst-rtas-adapter

it was discussed here: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2504.0
that the RTAS versions of the plugins were not created untill osx reached Leopard/Snow Leopard
with UAD-1 Software v6.10 where mac os 9 support ended sometime earlier around v3.9.0: according to the files posted here: https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/215267203-UAD-Software-Archives
so YES u can use UAD-1 with pro tools, on Leopard (with a G5 ppc) or Snow Leopard (with an intel mac or Hackintosh) but for os9 its alot easier to just use uad-1 with a VST based host like Logic or Cubase

i still have questions myself with how things would work now that the registration servers are offline for uad-1 cards..
ie: if you were to buy one on ebay, i dont fully understand what plugins it would be able to be used with..
or if u are able to 'take ownership' of someone elses plugins.. i dont think you can..

has anyone here got their hands on someone elses uad-1 card and tried this out since the uad-1 registration server shutdown?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:16:09 PM by macStuff »