Author Topic: What's the last thing you bought for your PowerPC Macs?  (Read 81806 times)

usrrnaime

Re: What's the last thing you bought for your PowerPC Macs?
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2017, 09:57:21 PM »
Sonnet Crescendo G3 Card.

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2017, 12:17:00 AM »
44pin KingSpec 16gb PATA DOM drive and a Lucent WaveLAN Gold 802.11b card for my PowerBook G3 Kanga. I absolutely love that machine, but it's in desperate need of more RAM to be really useful (32mb doesn't get you far when using Classilla). It's awesome either way :)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2017, 01:37:17 AM »
As of just a few hours ago for my MDD FW800 DP 1.25 Ghz:

1. New Noctua fans for both the power supply and the main case. One quiet machine now!

2. 3 and 4 pin to molex power supply lines for said fans.

3. Apple DVI to HDMI adapter--to run my DVI 23" Cinema Display. Sure, I still have a beautiful 23" ADC display, just not enough room on my desk for both it and the 34" IPS LED monitor.

4. IDE to SATA adapter, so I can use my extra 500GB SSD.

5. Extra Noctua fan to add at some point, which will take a mod of the case to do. Would love to put it above the heat sink given Apple's poor cooling decisions with this MDD--- and have it blow OUT of the case.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2017, 11:32:45 AM »
I bought my MDD DP 1.25 a G5 cheese grater "companion" that came with an Apple 20" Cinema Display. The Display has GaryN's previously described herein "impending magenta death" knell, so I utilized the "blades of grass" desktop to visually compensate for the overall 5-10cc magenta hue. (Hell, it's going to be a palette monitor anyway so it isn't color critical.) After sleep, the monitor wakes with the two short flashes and one long flash sequence of the monitors' power light. Shutdown, remove/replace power cord, reboot... and monitor is stable once again. Haven't connected it to MDD yet to see if this might be otherwise. Whatever the case, it'll be here simply until it's not. ;)

G5 wouldn't boot from install discs so I replaced the 104 PB optical drive with a 106 PB and voila, boot-o-rama. Now it's wiped and clean installed with 10.5.8. (Of course, not before I toasted it completely with Norton and had to start from scratch all over again.DO NOT USE NORTON.) Repairing disk permissions via Disk Utility has now become my replacement OCD effort, but I miss that pretty, colorful, organized picture that Norton Speed Disk provided.

And now, instead of the MDD being schizophrenic, it's quadrophrenic with 9.2.2 drive, a 10.3.8 drive and two drives with 10.5.8. It's slated to be the heart at the center of all my networked Macs. (And that, after I tackle a severely clogged nozzle on my Epson 10600 and park the MDD where the old G3 was previously.)

There's been an over-abundance of (sloth-like) Firewire 400 target disk restores 'round here lately.

Who says time travel isn't possible? Considering my absence from Macs and where I left off, I am actually traveling slowly forward in time, from my old Smurf G3. 
This Must Be The Place

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2017, 03:14:16 PM »
(And that, after I tackle a severely clogged nozzle on my Epson 10600 )
OMG You are an absolute glutton for punishment!! After all you just went through with the MDD, now you're just asking for more!
I have 3, count 'em THREE Epson Stylus Photo printers that are about to go to the great printer trashcan in the sky thanks to permanently, irreparably clogged nozzles. I'm not saying it's impossible, but know that if the clog is so bad that the only way to clear it is to disassemble the printhead, the odds of successfully reassembling and re-calibrating the damn thing with the very-hard-to-find-runs-on-Windows-only Epson service software are slim at best.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2017, 04:42:54 PM »
As a small child (oh no, not the small child story), I was given all things broken, or items that no longer functioned. These were my “toys”. More often than not, these “toys” were disassembled and reassembled, somehow to be brought back to functioning status once again by that kid with a dirty face. Now currently... having more time than money, this aspect of my “behavioral genetic en-coding” is once again coming to the front.

Of course, while not always successful, I still rather stubbornly chase such dragons / tilt at these windmills and pursue what many may deem merely as lost causes. I have resurrected many of the much smaller varieties of the oft nefarious Epson Stylus printer line (with opti-visored eyes). But, the 10600 is a much larger beast altogether and thusly, perhaps easier to handle in my now not-so-nimble-as-before fingers… and now with my not-so-very-sharp eyes. (Besides, it won’t fit in a normal trashcan anyway, it would require a dumpster and two very stout individuals to lug it up out of my basement cave.)

The MDD project was merely a warm up.

Glutton for punishment? Perhaps. Yet, there are still many that think OS 9 was dead quite a long time ago... and now, this once-dirty face resides behind a full-white beard. Besides, it’s probably just a "dribble" of cyan ink caked on the face of the print head that a Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol will easily remove. (He typed with great hope and intended levity.)

Now, on the other hand there’s an Epson 3000 down there as well, that you’d probably have to force me at gunpoint to even get me to begin thinking about disassembling it. (That Epson 3000 would fit, in a large trashcan.)

Wish me luck. I might indeed need it. (Said the dirty face, now from behind the white beard.)
[/size]
“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!” -Venkman      "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" -Blutarsky
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:31:32 PM by DieHard »
This Must Be The Place

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2017, 08:41:59 PM »
Got a new battery for the PowerBook G4 (Alu 17" 1Ghz) and also a Digigram VXpocket 440 Laptop Card VX Pocket 440 Sound Card. ;D

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2017, 09:15:55 PM »
Got a new battery for the PowerBook G4 (Alu 17" 1Ghz) and also a Digigram VXpocket 440 Laptop Card VX Pocket 440 Sound Card. ;D

Wow, actual PCMCIA, not CardBus!  I might have to try getting one of these for my Powerbook PDQ (although I already have a Magma PCI expansion chassis for that machine).  Reminds me of the PCMCIA-based Ego-Sys WaMiBox I have for old PCs:

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/wamibox/

It never had Mac drivers though.

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2017, 12:09:03 AM »
New pram batteries from a company from UK for my PowerBook G4.

Only the cells. I had to solder the new onto the little auxiliary board where it sits.
Actually one of the 3 batteries (rechargeable 3,6V lion) came toast but they send me a replacement.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2017, 02:48:51 AM »
New pram batteries from a company from UK for my PowerBook G4.

Only the cells. I had to solder the new onto the little auxiliary board where it sits.
Actually one of the 3 batteries (rechargeable 3,6V lion) came toast but they send me a replacement.

I need to sort the PRAM batteries on my Kanga as well... It's just so aweful to take it apart :P
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2017, 01:27:27 PM »
Just bought a big passive cooler for my GeForce 4 Ti4600 inside my MDD. Hope it sorts out my heat and noice problems at the same time.
Also bought some Kingston RAM for the MDD. 2x1GB PC3200 to replace the no name 4x512MB PC2600 modules there now. They work great, but I payed allmost nothing for the Kingston RAM and was allways curious to how well PC3200 RAM worked (and two 1GB modules) inside the MDD. Will run some benchmarks when I get the RAM, but I don't expect any difference what so ever. I might gain some well needed airflow at least :)

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2017, 04:44:57 AM »
Got the RAM today and did some benchmarks. Pretty much identical speed wise to the RAM that was there before... Well, it takes up less space in the case at least :P

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2017, 03:23:47 AM »
*big suprise* :D ... but glad to hear it at least saves you some space .. lol .. case-space optimisation ...

i once had an external firewire enclosure inside a dual-800 ... connected to the fw 400 port of a PCI card ... space must be used wisely ... reminds me on how some germans pack their car for holidays ... "there is some space left, so we must find something to put there" ...
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2017, 03:24:51 AM »
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Irisman

• Veteran Member
  • each day I am older
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2017, 10:10:07 AM »
A motu 424 PCI card  :D

Offline MysticCow

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2017, 09:13:11 AM »
Mine was a USB 2 card many many years ago.  My trusty DA G4 (the 733 model) still has Ye Olde GeForce 2 (no MX either) on there.  Surprisingly, it's workable for what little I keep hitting my PPC's for.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2017, 07:03:16 PM »
Picked up a MDD to keep my MDD company. 25 bucks.

I actually bought it for the PSU (since you just can't have too many of those) but i also got a USB2 card, an Airport card, and what I believe is an ATA-100 card inside, plus 2Gb of good RAM.

Such a deal…

Offline wilcofan

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2017, 05:40:57 AM »
Picked up a Samplecell II Plus last week.  No idea if it will work or if it will be any use.   :)
G3 400 B&W | Opcode Studio 3 | Midiman Biport | Digidesign TDM Mix

Offline Irisman

• Veteran Member
  • each day I am older
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2017, 03:43:20 AM »

I picked two Jamport to add serial connectivity to my MDD's

I hope to combine USB Unitor8 & AMT8, with two Opcode Studio4, for a total 32 MIDI lines, 512 channels.

8)

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2019, 02:26:16 AM »
I bought Logitech LGT-S120 speakers (3 euro in the second hand store) because they use only 2.2 Watt. My previous speakers were from Juster and they used 25 Watt and they took much space on my desk.