Author Topic: Setting up a 867 DP MDD advice please....  (Read 4439 times)

Offline JohnT

• New to the forums
Setting up a 867 DP MDD advice please....
« on: October 03, 2016, 12:00:54 PM »
Hi All,

New to the forum but used Macs on and off for years and wanted to ask for some advice about what I need to get my new MDD set up.

A bit of background might help first, I do some work with Community projects relating to music and had the idea that if I could set up a stable DAW that the Studio could use (Not heavy use) and/or set those up with something that can't afford what everyone keeps telling them they 'need'....which obviously involves spending loads of money they don't have.

So with that in mind I bought what I thought was a 1.25 MDD but it turns out to be a 867 DP MDD (Wrongly advertised) but still perfectly usable of course but just need some pointers as trying to keep cost down to £50 for each Mac (If it can be done we'll be trying to set people up at home with similar setups).

So I'll ask away....

I want to use the Audiophile 2496 as they can be bought for £15 - £25 here BUT I noticed there are 2 different Rev's, so my 1st question is will either version work out of the box in the 867?

Would it be better to use OS9 or OSX (Have access to all up to Panther) for stability due to the DP's?

As the Mac will probably/mainly only need to have a Mic/Guitar/Midi KB used with it would it be a worthwhile investment to get mixer (then > 2496) or direct into the 2496?

Appreciate any pointers/advice.

Cheers - John

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Setting up a 867 DP MDD advice please....
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 12:59:41 PM »
I want to use the Audiophile 2496 as they can be bought for £15 - £25 here BUT I noticed there are 2 different Rev's, so my 1st question is will either version work out of the box in the 867?
Never had any issues with any revisions of the 2496 under OS 9... but it would be wise to go with the older rev just in case they "cheap-ed out" on some component

Would it be better to use OS9 or OSX (Have access to all up to Panther) for stability due to the DP's?
Dual Processor is stable in OS 9, just runs a little hotter, there is a complete DAW here for OS 9:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2716.0.html

Or you can do Panther.

As the Mac will probably/mainly only need to have a Mic/Guitar/Midi KB used with it would it be a worthwhile investment to get mixer (then > 2496) or direct into the 2496?

Well, you will definitely need a small mixer... or if you can find the Holy Grail for small solo/project studios...
HOLY GRAIL MindPrint Trio SPDIF

You can connect via S/PDIF into your G4 mac (if you have a an Optical In Soundcard) with No drivers at all needed for the Mindprint. Or if you are using an Intel MacPro, iMac, or Macbook Pro, directly into the Apple stock digital I/O.  Note: Newer iMacs Audio inputs double as an Optical in (Just need a $3 adapter).  Your tracks will sound unreal for such a small interface (considering it is a Mixer, an interface with Talkback and 2 headphones outs).  Also you can connect 3 different Speaker sets (Monitors) by hitting the  buttons on the mindprint (3 Speaker outs). Another route would be connecting the TRIO with the analog IN/outs simultaneously to a 2496 in a G4. The quality of the Mic Pre, Guitar In (with built in compressor), and Line In are equivalent to Top end Pro gear.

Midprint Trio... Ultimate small DAW Miracle: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may05/articles/mindprinttrio.htm

Offline JohnT

• New to the forums
Re: Setting up a 867 DP MDD advice please....
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 02:09:18 PM »

Thanks for the prompt reply and heads up about the 2496, good to know what to keep an eye out for.

The link to the DAW is much appreciated, saves a lot of time getting things together and although used OSX since the start it never felt as comfortable as 9, to me anyway.

One of those MindPrints would definately be an addition for my own set up and something to keep my eye open for, shame they are hard to get hold of cheaply.

On the hunt now for a small, decent mixer.

John