Author Topic: Is there an official Diehard instant DAW thread?  (Read 13872 times)

Offline Steve_W

• Enthusiast Member
  • 88 MPH
    • UK Mac Files
Is there an official Diehard instant DAW thread?
« on: September 22, 2016, 11:07:18 AM »
Hi all, after successfully installing the great instant DAW on my MDD Powermac 3,6 I'm really keen to start messing with it and adding stuff, installing various bits and bobs and I wondered if there was an official thread to discuss anything related to it?

My first question is can you drag all files from the boot volume to another volume and it'll just boot exactly the same?  I guess CCC would do that?

Admin please move to relevant thread if need be, cheers!
Powermac MDD dual 1.25ghz (9.2.2/10.4.11)/Powermac MDD 867mhz (9.2.2)/12 inch Powerbook G4 (9.2.2)/15 inch Powerbook G4 (10.4.11)/Powermac G5 (10.7.5)

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
Re: Is there an official Diehard instant DAW thread?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 12:16:35 PM »
u dont need an official thread.. its just a save point to save u the trouble of having to install all that basic stuff to get u up and running fast..... whatever u need to talk about now, address it specifically and discuss that specific program or plugin !

theres more than enough software specific zones in the forums site here
ie: if talking about cubase , make a post in the cubase section etc
diehard obviously is firmly rooted in the steinberg camp.

congrats on your instant DAW + good luck ;)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 10:37:42 PM »
My first question is can you drag all files from the boot volume to another volume and it'll just boot exactly the same?  I guess CCC would do that?
Admin please move to relevant thread if need be, cheers!

No, Draging the files will give you a bootable OS 9 Volume, but the authorized plugins will NOT work; the beauty of the ASR (please search the forum) is that it will recreate details of a volume so precisely, that the copy protected audio plugins still function :)

Offline Steve_W

• Enthusiast Member
  • 88 MPH
    • UK Mac Files
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 02:12:58 AM »
Excellent, I ended up using the full restore as I had done first time round and all worked great!!!

I installed Pro Tools last night and tonight is the final stage before I start getting those old songs up!  I'll be installing Logic and all my old VST instruments and plugins, then it's just a case of loading a song up and telling Logic where to find all the audio files and I'm away!

I'm hoping to get some old projects fully up and running and I'll post some video and share in here when I'm done.

Thanks guys! Salut!
Powermac MDD dual 1.25ghz (9.2.2/10.4.11)/Powermac MDD 867mhz (9.2.2)/12 inch Powerbook G4 (9.2.2)/15 inch Powerbook G4 (10.4.11)/Powermac G5 (10.7.5)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 02:38:59 AM »
Most excellent!! ;D

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 01:11:08 PM »
party on wayne  8)
party on garth  O0

Offline Gaz

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 01:12:47 AM »
Hi there

I'm trying to install Os9 via the instant daw, but It seems I'm having problem downloading uncorrupted files.. The setup gives me a checksum error , the system is bootable but half the programs are kinda croppy..
I've uncompress everything on osx with stuffit 10, it is correct?
The link provided in the download section is always not working\busy for me now, and so I cant re-download everything..

Thank you in advance!

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 08:21:41 AM »
Un-encode (take off Mac Binary) on all the 4 "img.bin" files using Stuffit; do NOT extract these in any way, they are not ".sit" files

Then remove mac bin encoding from the "Apple Software Restore.sit.bin" file using stuffit and then uncompressed using stuffit 7.0.3, place all files in same folder and read instructions; nothing is corrupt and it has worked for many;  I suggest you get an OS 9 system up with a basic install first and do NOT use OSX to assemble the DAW install

Offline Gaz

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 09:01:43 AM »
Thanks for the advice! Sorry, I'm a total apple-noob ;D  I'll try to install Os9 from cd this week ! It's just me, or the downloads from adrive has stopped working? I get always the same "server busy error" + something about turning on javascript that on my browser should be already active!  ???
Tested on 2 pc, with different internet connection + 2 different browsers (Chrome and Edge Windows10)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:21:26 AM by Gaz »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 12:07:29 PM »
Really ?  No one else mentioning issues, where are you located ?

Offline Gaz

• Valued Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 12:09:55 AM »
Yep, just tried again on another file, maybe is my area...  :o ( North Italy, near the Austrian border)

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Instant DAW - WOW!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 12:22:39 PM »
Instant DAW… just add water?

All joking aside… it’s freakin’ great!  Recently installed it on an SSD destined for someone else’s QS
and it was a complete and total breeze. Did same on another QS here and have yet to have time to
investigate it much further, but I'm really looking forward to it.

(Complete DAW noob here… yet with my most recent intro to ProTools, hoping Cubase might be just
a bit more “user friendly”.)

Great job!!! (Even sans Farfisa or Vox organs.) ;)

Download and install this now!
This Must Be The Place

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 02:01:29 PM »
PT just looks frightening initially - my first thoughts on (version 5 was: omg, THAT's the standard in digital audio ???).
It then revealed rather quickly and there are quite some productivity features up it's sleeves.
Imho it's worth the initial struggle. ;)
My secret weapon is USB Overdrive programming the wheel of a mouse to zoom in/out and the right button to start/stop playback. As PT keeps the playhead centered it's extremely fast to hop to different positions in a track with minimal mouse movement. Tbh I couldn't live without that feature.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Instant DAW - WOW!
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 07:48:36 PM »
Instant DAW… just add water?

All joking aside… it’s freakin’ great!  Recently installed it on an SSD destined for someone else’s QS
and it was a complete and total breeze. Did same on another QS here and have yet to have time to
investigate it much further, but I'm really looking forward to it.

(Complete DAW noob here… yet with my most recent intro to ProTools, hoping Cubase might be just
a bit more “user friendly”.)

Great job!!! (Even sans Farfisa or Vox organs.) ;)

Download and install this now!

Haha! Instant DAW is so cool, it's worth installing just for the installation itself!!!  ;D ;D

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 08:18:27 PM »
Recently installed it on an SSD destined for someone else’s QS
and it was a complete and total breeze.

I went years without knowing about Apple Software Restore, but it has changed the whole game.

Offline autologic

• Valued Member
  • pro tools is my day job
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 06:29:59 AM »
I went years without knowing about Apple Software Restore, but it has changed the whole game.

Does anyone know if using the "Clone" functionality of "Disk Copy" is just as good, or is ASR preferred around here?

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 09:10:21 AM »
Does anyone know if using the "Clone" functionality of "Disk Copy" is just as good, or is ASR preferred around here?
It does not keep authorized plugins working, if you don't need that feature, then should be just as good

Offline autologic

• Valued Member
  • pro tools is my day job
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 09:26:01 AM »
It does not keep authorized plugins working, if you don't need that feature, then should be just as good

Thanks for the clarification, and thanks again for the hard work put into the Instant DAW.

macStuff

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 04:27:09 AM »
would have been nice if i had gotten some type of credit for being the one who layed the groundwork and ENABLED the instant daw to become possible.
but hey, welcome to planet hell err i mean earth ;D

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 07:30:01 AM »
would have been nice if i had gotten some type of credit for being the one who layed the groundwork and ENABLED the instant daw to become possible.
but hey, welcome to planet hell err i mean earth ;D

I think that most of us that have been around here awhile realize that both you and MacTron played major roles that lead to the creation of the DieHard Instant DAW... so maybe you're not Diana Ross but you're certainly one of the Supremes!! ;D ;D