Author Topic: Wanted: PCI SATA card for my G4  (Read 18157 times)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Wanted: PCI SATA card for my G4
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2017, 08:23:51 PM »
Only problem I have found with these is that my 2001 Quicksilver dosen't like them, but I don't know if that is the cards or my quicksilver that is the problem, I have used the cards in my MDD, Sawtooth and B/W G3 just fine

Are still early quicksilvers out? IIRC Eyoungren from MacRumors had troubles with non Sonnet SATA cards on his QS on 10.5 too.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Front 424

• Enthusiast Member
  • not exactly new to the forums
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2017, 09:17:53 PM »
Only problem I have found with these is that my 2001 Quicksilver dosen't like them, but I don't know if that is the cards or my quicksilver that is the problem, I have used the cards in my MDD, Sawtooth and B/W G3 just fine

Are still early quicksilvers out? IIRC Eyoungren from MacRumors had troubles with non Sonnet SATA cards on his QS on 10.5 too.

Mine is a QS 933.  Running OS 9 btw.  I take it there are no issues with any of that?
I'm trying to clear up the details so I don't end up spending money in the wrong places..

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2017, 09:49:29 PM »
Dont get me wrong. Maxx1 cards are unique and state of the art. And they boot OS9 IIRC. They are just delicate/finicky  with some QS.

The easiest solution is to buy a G4 Digital Audio motherboard (they have been reported as working) and exchange it, using with IDE drives with less than 120 Gbytes and the SATA big ones with the Maxx card.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XG4+digital+audio+motherboard.TRS0&_nkw=G4+digital+audio+motherboard&_sacat=0

Mine is a QS 933.  Running OS 9 btw.  I take it there are no issues with any of that?
I'm trying to clear up the details so I don't end up spending money in the wrong places..

Check https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/pci-sata-cards-what-is-the-state-of-compatibility.1650568/ for general PowerPC Mac X use and for Mac OS 9 this http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,306.0.html
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Front 424

• Enthusiast Member
  • not exactly new to the forums
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2017, 12:21:58 AM »
Dont get me wrong. Maxx1 cards are unique and state of the art. And they boot OS9 IIRC. They are just delicate/finicky  with some QS.

Meant to reply a day or two ago..
Yeah, they boot OS 9, because Knezzen specifically inquired about it as a must in his first post!  I paid attention to this thread, but forgot some of the specifics and had to reread.

It appears that Max is the only one (that I can see) who reported having troubles in the 2001 QS, another person has it working in their 2001 model and mine is a 2002 QS.

Thanks for the links btw.  I have read that disk upgrade thread before on this site, more than once.  I don't know whether I dived into it, or drowned in it!  :o Lots of divergent info there, very easy to get lost in some of that.

Maybe I should just take a chance and buy the card and see what happens?