Author Topic: MDD wont boot from HD  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
MDD wont boot from HD
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »
I just messed something up big time. Did a system update of Tiger on my freshly installed MDD.
Now the damn thing wont boot directly from the hard drive! I can boot from it if I boot from the Tiger DVD and start "startup disk" utility and choose my internal HD. When it reboots it starts up just fine. If I shut down the machine and cold boot it im back to the questionmark and need to boot from the DVD again.

I have one drive on the ATA133 controller and nothing more. I'v never experienced anything quite like this before.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Re: MDD wont boot from HD
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 10:43:35 AM »
May or may not help, but I had a similar issue once before.
What ended up doing was booting from the DVD and setting the start up disk (just like you already have done).
Then reboot.  Once booted off the hard drive, I set the start up disk again and rebooted.  From then on it worked fine.
In my case it was actually the drive starting to fail so not too long after that everything went to hell.

I believe it's also possible that the battery on the motherboard maybe bad.  You can try replacing that as well. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this).
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 10:47:12 AM »
Thanks nanopico, I'll try that. Just "zapped" the PRAM without it getting better.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 11:02:13 AM »
It works! Thanks nanopico! I think i'll buy that SATA-card and SSD I was thinking of buying, just to put my mind at rest. Don't want a hard drive crash on my hands.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 01:11:33 PM »
Glad I could help.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!