Author Topic: Sonnet Encore/MDX Duet 1.6ghz vs 1.8ghz  (Read 6319 times)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Sonnet Encore/MDX Duet 1.6ghz vs 1.8ghz
« on: September 20, 2016, 02:47:03 AM »
Hi!

Im curious to what the difference between these two are. Is the 1.6ghz version capable of 1.8ghz or beyond?
How big of a difference in performance can one expect going from a Dual 1.25ghz MDD CPU overclocked to 1.5ghz to a MDX Duet 1.6ghz?
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: Sonnet Encore/MDX Duet 1.6ghz vs 1.8ghz
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 08:31:09 AM »
Hi!

Im curious to what the difference between these two are. Is the 1.6ghz version capable of 1.8ghz or beyond?
That's was questioned several times. Nobody knows the answer for sure. But I think that the 1.6 isn't capable of 1.8. and the 1.8 isn't capable of going beyond. Just my opinion.
How big of a difference in performance can one expect going from a Dual 1.25ghz MDD CPU overclocked to 1.5ghz to a MDX Duet 1.6ghz?
None. In Short. ;D
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 03:55:38 PM »
Yes, some people tell that the original CPU (when overclocked to 1,5 or 1,6 GHz) outperform any faster Upgradecard, because of the 2MB Cache.

And you got a 1,25 overclocked to 1,5 GHz?? That is 20% and it is always stable? Wow, ... my last "heavyly" overclocked CPU was a G3 233 to 291 MHz and 85 MHz system bus.

Nevertheless, regarding Mac OS 9 I still would love to here something from people with one of the 2GHz cards of te 7448 CPUs (note these are also already overclocked, and are originally 1,7 GHz)!

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 08:03:21 AM »
Yes, some people tell that the original CPU (when overclocked to 1,5 or 1,6 GHz) outperform any faster Upgradecard, because of the 2MB Cache.

And you got a 1,25 overclocked to 1,5 GHz?? That is 20% and it is always stable?
I have overclocked seven or eight of them.

Only one of them wasn't stable at 1.5 Ghz.
Wow, ... my last "heavyly" overclocked CPU was a G3 233 to 291 MHz and 85 MHz system bus.

Nevertheless, regarding Mac OS 9 I still would love to here something from people with one of the 2GHz cards of te 7448 CPUs (note these are also already overclocked, and are originally 1,7 GHz)!

I have one of those 7448. The main issue is that this CPU upgrade don't work on MDDs

Do a forum search, I have posted a lot of about this topic .

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 10:03:20 AM »
I MIGHT have stumbled upon the 1.6ghz version. MacTron: If you feel like trying to overclock it I'd send it to you (if I can get my hands on it). Would be interesting to see if it can be pushed to 1.8ghz at least, wonderful if it's capable of even more ;)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 01:51:41 PM »
I MIGHT have stumbled upon the 1.6ghz version. MacTron: If you feel like trying to overclock it I'd send it to you (if I can get my hands on it). Would be interesting to see if it can be pushed to 1.8ghz at least, wonderful if it's capable of even more ;)
I will need a Hi Res picture of the front and back of the CPU module at first. In this way, if the bus multiplier resistors ( and the voltage module ) can be identified, we can consider to perform ( or not ) an overclock ...

... But I don't think that we can obtain more "juice" from this CPU,  because Sonnet sells them overclocked already!!  AFAIK...