Author Topic: Allow processor cycling  (Read 7046 times)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Allow processor cycling
« on: September 15, 2016, 11:21:06 AM »
Hi!

Just booted up my 1GHZ TiBook for the first time in months and opened up the Energy Saver control panel for some reason. Looked through it and found something I'v never noticed before under Advanced Settings; the option "Allow processor cycling".

I clicked it and continued using the machine regularly. Suddenly the fan stopped!
The TiBook is notoriously hot and allways starts the fan eventually. I have never seen it stop after it has come on, though.

I wonder if the "Allow processor cycling" feature is similiar to the "NAP" feature you can enable in OSX on MDD's. IF it does the same thing, it might help MDD's getting more quiet under OS 9 as well. It shure as hell keeps my otherwise HOT PowerBook running cool and absolutley silent (thanks to the SSD too).

Any ideas if this feature exists in the Energy Saver panel on MDD's?
If not, I wonder how hard it would be to enable it.

Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Allow processor cycling
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 03:11:41 PM »
The panel you're looking at, as configured, is for powerbooks only. That's why it's under "power adapter" settings and has "turn off built-in display" etc. I suspect it would be very hard (and possibly dangerous) to fool the OS into enabling it since it undoubtedly depends on temp sensor(s) in the book and the fact that the MDD has two procs.

As for the NAP in OSX, while I do seem to remember that from a while back with my original 2x1.25Ghz procs, I think it's also proc-dependent because it's not available at all for my Sonnet 2x1.8Ghz in either 10.4 or 10.5.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 10:27:08 PM »
You need to install CHUD Tools in OSX to get the correct panel. I don't think It would be dangerous, at least someone has to try.
Will give it a shot as soon as I get the old studio MDD home.

More info on the NAP feature here: https://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=/hardwareandnews/chud/chud.html
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 05:39:12 AM »
I'v never noticed before under Advanced Settings; the option "Allow processor cycling".

Maybe the poor processor just wants to take a bike ride?? ;D ;D

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 11:28:55 AM »
You need to install CHUD Tools in OSX to get the correct panel. I don't think It would be dangerous, at least someone has to try.
Will give it a shot as soon as I get the old studio MDD home.

More info on the NAP feature here: https://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=/hardwareandnews/chud/chud.html

I read that article. It's fascinating and certainly worth trying.
Unfortunately, I fail to see how it will help at all in OS9.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 01:07:30 PM »
I read that article. It's fascinating and certainly worth trying.
Unfortunately, I fail to see how it will help at all in OS9.

I'll just quote myself then.

I wonder if the "Allow processor cycling" feature is similiar to the "NAP" feature you can enable in OSX on MDD's. IF it does the same thing, it might help MDD's getting more quiet under OS 9 as well. It shure as hell keeps my otherwise HOT PowerBook running cool and absolutley silent (thanks to the SSD too).

The OSX NAP feature will not help OS 9 in any way. My concern was if "Allow processor cycling" does something similliar in OS 9 to what "NAP" does in OSX.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 03:24:36 PM »
Knez, we're just going around in circles here. Let's go back to the top.

When you first posted:
Just booted up my 1GHZ TiBook for the first time in months and opened up the Energy Saver control panel for some reason. Looked through it and found something I'v never noticed before under Advanced Settings; the option "Allow processor cycling".

Were you in OSX or OS9?

I thought (possibly mistakenly?) that you were talking about OS9 and "Allow processor cycling" was appearing in an OS9 control panel - hence my wondering about how running CHUD to enable anything in OSX could help anything in OS9.

So, again… what the hell are we talking about? How are you going to enable "Allow processor cycling" on an MDD in OS9?

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 08:59:49 PM »
  If you temporarily change the machine type ID in open firmware to that of a valid PowerBook might that make the option available in the OS 9 control panel?  It probably won't have any effect but at least this might allow you to try.

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 10:21:49 PM »

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 04:38:49 AM »
Knez, we're just going around in circles here. Let's go back to the top.

When you first posted:

Were you in OSX or OS9?

I thought (possibly mistakenly?) that you were talking about OS9 and "Allow processor cycling" was appearing in an OS9 control panel - hence my wondering about how running CHUD to enable anything in OSX could help anything in OS9.

So, again… what the hell are we talking about? How are you going to enable "Allow processor cycling" on an MDD in OS9?

I was in OS 9. I thought that was clear (since I even posted a screenshot of the window in question), but I guess I wasn't clear enough.

I tried to explain NAP in OSX with the article I linked since you didn't seem to have heard about it before and my main question was if "Allow processor cycling" in OS9 was comparable to "NAP" in OSX.

Let's just drop this now. The answer is clearly NO, it's not the same thing.
I'll compare some benchmarks on my TiBook and call it a day :)

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 03:57:05 PM »
Jeez Knez, I'm more than happy to drop this. Just do me one favor: Go back and carefully read your first post where you said:
I wonder if the "Allow processor cycling" feature is similiar to the "NAP" feature you can enable in OSX on MDD's. IF it does the same thing, it might help MDD's getting more quiet under OS 9 as well.
||: So, your question was "Can you run proc cycling on an MDD to make them quieter in OS9?"
And I answered "No, proc cycling is for Powerbooks"
And you went off into stuff about CHUD and OSX.
And I said "That's interesting. What good will that do in OS9?"
And you said "my main question was if "Allow processor cycling" in OS9 was comparable to "NAP" in OSX."
But that's not what you asked… :||

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 10:17:44 PM »
But that's not what you asked… :||

I just thought that I didn't have to put in "Mac OS 9" in my question since I posted a screenshot of an OS9 window, was talking about a feature only present in OS9 (Allow processor cycling) on a Mac OS 9-only (or Classic only) part of the forum.

I'll edit it to make it more clear then:

Hi!

Just booted up my 1GHZ TiBook in Mac OS 9.2.2 for the first time in months and opened up the Energy Saver control panel for some reason. Looked through it and found something I'v never noticed before under Advanced Settings; the option "Allow processor cycling".

I clicked it and continued using the machine regularly. Suddenly the fan stopped!
The TiBook is notoriously hot and allways starts the fan eventually. I have never seen it stop after it has come on, though.

I wonder if the "Allow processor cycling" feature in Mac OS 9.2.2 on my PowerBook is similiar to the "NAP" feature you can enable in OSX on MDD's. IF it does the same thing, it might help MDD's getting more quiet under OS 9 as well. It shure as hell keeps my otherwise HOT PowerBook running cool and absolutley silent (thanks to the SSD too).

Any ideas if this feature exists in the Energy Saver panel on MDD's in Mac OS 9.2.2?
If not, I wonder how hard it would be to enable it.

Everything bold is edited in.

BUT, this is a non-issue since I got my answer :)

EDIT: Sorry Gary. I read the whole thread and some of the things I'm writing seems a bit unclear.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 03:11:00 AM by Knezzen »