Author Topic: QS vs DA  (Read 5883 times)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
QS vs DA
« on: September 13, 2016, 07:26:09 AM »
Either I'm crazy, there is a placebo effect going on, or I'm not crazy.
I was recently gifted two QS (2002) Dual 1GHZ and one 733 MHZ DA.
I know that OS 9 and dual processors seems to be not the best combination (Please correct me if I'm wrong).
So I booted up the first QS installed 9 and it was slow (this is just observation based off my experience with other machines I have).
So I removed the drive and put in a brand new SSD with adapter to IDE. Still the same slowness. (the actual level of slowness is not important at this point).
Swapped around to the other QS.  Put the same RAM from the first (one of them came with no ram at all in it) and put the ssd in this one.
Still felt just as slow.
So I moved the SSD and RAM to the DA and it performs much faster.  Am I just crazy or were the QS that screwy? Or am I just imagining things?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: QS vs DA
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 07:34:53 AM »
Only idea I had, when I read your posting, is that perhaps the ATA controller of the QS set back to any slower and former ATA standard? Maybe because of the SSD controller or the converter?

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 07:58:17 AM »
Possible I guess. Not my area of expertise i guess. I just thought it odd using the same converter and ssd in all three machines.
Since it happened with two QS I assumed it was a QS thing or i managed to get two screwed up machines. 

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 03:53:30 PM »
  I have a QS and have found it to be extremely tempermental.  It was also very picky about pata-to-sata converters.  Even when it behaves itself it seems inexpliably slow.  It has a dual 1.8GHz cpu upgrade and a 7800 video card and it still is sluggish.  This is on OS X mind you, but it still doesn't make sense.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 07:40:11 PM »
So I gather I'm not crazy (ignoring what the doctors say).  The QS are just kind of finicky machines that are, well, finicky.

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 08:25:06 PM »
Something is wrong... the 733 DA is a great unit, but should NOT feel faster than the dual 1 Ghz in OS 9. 

The 733 DA will destroy a 733 QS since it has 1 MB backside cache and the QS only has 256K, but the Dual 1 Ghz has 2 MB level 3 cache and a faster CPU, something is not adding up...

Check Video card drivers and other extensions that are enabled

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 06:00:34 AM »
Will do.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 06:08:35 PM »

Bingo.  Video card.  I swapped the video card with the one from the DA and now the QS is very happy.

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 04:46:27 PM »

Bingo.  Video card.  I swapped the video card with the one from the DA and now the QS is very happy.

Ahhhh... now the universe is back in order... you were worrying me there for a little while :)

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 06:03:23 PM »
both another user + myself have remarked on hwo much faster our quicksilver units feel when using them installed with the matched specific 4 cd install/restore disc installation of 9.2.2 (as well as its original shipped video card which i believe was a geforce 4 mx 440)

i would reccommend you try using that with the machine and making your own observations contrary or likewise

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 01:25:34 PM »
Specifically, the 733 QS will not be able to playback as many tracks as even a 533 Mhz. DA, so it is wise to replace the CPU Board with something else, you can get a replacement for probably $10.  even overclocking the original DOG 733 Board will not increase the cache, so it's best just to swap it out and spend $10 or $20