Author Topic: Development Library to private undocumented methods and libraries.  (Read 3619 times)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Development Library to private undocumented methods and libraries.
« on: September 10, 2016, 01:02:52 PM »
I've put together a little something based some output of the work being done on advancing OS 9.  It's nothing spectacular at the moment, but it may be of interest to some of you.

What this is, is a set of C Headers and stub libraries that can be used with MPW or CodeWarrior in OS 9.  This is an extract from every library in the Mac OS ROM. (I will be adding the same thing from the System file before too long as well).
I have not cross referenced any of this with the public/documented methods and interfaces so there is definitely duplication that has not yet been cleaned up.
As none most of these are not documented, I am not sure what the parameters or return values of any of the methods are, thus everything has no parameter and a return type of int.  Also some of the items listed as methods are intact global variables or pointers.  This again hasn't been cleaned up and right now everything found is treated as a method. 
If it is a method and you know the parameters you can update the header file and it will work.  The stub library has no knowledge of the parameters, so those will not need to be modified.

I will be updating this as I progress with it and it will become more useful.

Although this may not be useful to most people here, I'm sure a lot of people would at least find it interesting to sort of see what is on the inside.

http://gnerder.com/files/DevLibs.sit
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Re: Development Library to private undocumented methods and libraries.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 10:04:44 AM »
I've now compared the methods I found against the actual c headers provided by Apple and have now reduced the set of undocumented methods.  I should be able to go through and compare to similarly named methods in known headers to try to figure out the method signatures.
I'll try to upload the revised private methods undocumented methods some time in the next few days.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!