Author Topic: Mouse won't move when Universal 9.2.2 ISO booted off CD on 700 MHz eMac...  (Read 6534 times)

Offline thetommyboy2k

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Hey!  I downloaded the Universal 9.2.2 ISO for all G3's and G4's from here.  I burned it on a CD and booted my eMac from it to put OS 9 on it.  It currently has Mac OS X 10.4.11 on it.  When I boot it, the mouse won't move at all.  This is the 700 MHz model eMac that can boot OS 9.  Am I doing something wrong?  Please help.  :-)

Thank's in advance!
Tommy

Offline widdly

• Enthusiast Member
  • Beige G3, Alchemy, Turbosynth, Sounddiver, K2000r
Re: Mouse won't move when Universal 9.2.2 ISO booted off CD on 700 MHz eMac...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 06:01:45 AM »
Could you try a different mouse?

I have the same emac and successfully installed using that cd image.

Offline thetommyboy2k

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 09:55:31 AM »
I tried a different mouse and all of the USB ports.  Nothing.  I did burn the ISO in Windows 10 using FreeISOBurner. 

I can click the buttons and they will work, but the mouse won't move at all. 

What else can I do?

Thanks,
Tommy

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 11:23:12 AM »
Can you move your mouse at any point during the startup process? You might be able to tell if something loading is breaking it.

I had a strange problem on my 8500 the other day where the mouse button would not work. I could move the pointer but button clicks were ignored. Tried a different port/different mouse/different settings but it continued to ignore my frustrated clicking.
To fix it I had to shutdown the machine, and on the next restart it was ok. A warm restart was not sufficient. Never had the problem before or since, so it remains a mystery.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
Three questions:

1. Is it an Apple mouse?
2. Is it wired or wireless?
3. Does it work in OSX?

Offline thetommyboy2k

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 10:01:17 PM »
ovalking... not that I can tell.

GaryN: It's not an Apple mouse.  They are both PC mice.  They are both wired mice.  They both work in OS X. 

I really appreciate everyone's help with this.  I really want to put OS 9 on this eMac.  :-)

Tommy

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 10:33:40 PM »
perhaps the mouse u have isnt properly supporting usb 1.1??
a pc mouse should work... ive used a logitech mouse for pc with scroll wheel + two button
it works fine for me

have u verified that the usb port works for any other usb1.1 only device?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 11:52:35 PM »
You can do all of this from OSX

Verify that the mouse OS9 control panel is present in the Control Panels Folder.
If it's not there, look in the Control Panels (disabled) Folder.
      A:If it's in there, move it into the Control Panels Folder and reboot. Should be problem solved.
      B:If it was in the Control Panels Folder, go back to the ISO download, grab that panel again, swap it out and reboot.
           (Just in case it got corrupted - not likely, but easy to try)
If that doesn't work, go to Macintosh Garden and download "USB Overdrive" (a universal USB mouse driver) and install it…

Oh wait…you can't because you don't have a working mouse… so

Go spend 10 bucks on ebay and buy a real Mac USB mouse. Should be problem solved.
If you must use a PC mouse, use the Mac mouse long enough to install "USB Overdrive"

Offline thetommyboy2k

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 08:39:43 PM »
 :D  The problem is solved!  Thank you to who suggested starting without extensions.  The mouse moved once it booted into the desktop on the ISO.  It moved erratically, but it was enough to get it installed.  9.2.2 installed without a hitch. 

I have another question and if it needs to be moved, please feel free mods.  I have an Airport card in this eMac.  Is there any way to get it to connect to my WiFi network or is it out of the question?  As it stands, I can't get on the internet.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out!  :-)

Tommy

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
I have another question and if it needs to be moved, please feel free mods.  I have an Airport card in this eMac.  Is there any way to get it to connect to my WiFi network or is it out of the question?  As it stands, I can't get on the internet.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out!  :-)

Tommy

someone needs to write a tutorial for connecting to wireless B router
i think u might have to change setting on your router to allow for a lesser security protocol (WEP?) and it only supports wireless B which isnt that fast. the best way to connect wirelessly these days is to get a wireless ethernet bridge device for 20-30$ and connect it to the mac with a ethernet cable and let the external wireless device handle all the wireless networking, that way u can connect with wireless G or wireless N + a higher Ghz band like 5 Ghz. makes a huge difference in speed.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1056_1058&item_id=098578

most of them allow u to configure the device via http browser