Author Topic: emagic waveburner (2001)  (Read 15776 times)

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: emagic waveburner (2001)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:59:50 AM »
... oops!
We completely forgot to add this one to the downloads.
... this would be fixed soon.  ;)

Anyway, Waveburner is only useful for a task: when you have to burn a big audio file and it need to be splitted on to CD Audio tracks without actually splitting the file.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 09:24:39 AM »
This is a great App. for CD Project Burning.

It was included with Logic Studio V2 (Logic Pro 9); then was mysteriously ripped out of the Apple Download version of Logic Pro 9.  This bummed a bunch of users out, but it was done since it's stability on anything higher than 10.6 was an issue and Apple did not want to fix things to make it compatible.  So again, prices lowered for the masses... and the big picture was "Ahh... CD Burning... who listens to audio CDs anyway" and "Yeah... we are removing optical drives from our new macs anyway"

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:35:32 AM »
Lastly, a modern "Wave Burner" alternative and probably the Best CD burning software for Musicians is...

http://www.dsp-quattro.com/dspquattro/Site/DSP-Quattro.html

DSP-Quattro was created from the same guy  Stefano Daino in Italy who programmed "Spark" under OS 9 !

Hands down, it has the best features, power, and ease of use (but also complex features) of ANY Audio Burning applications with full plugin support for Spectrum Analyzers and EQs, etc 

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 05:42:33 PM »

Anyway, Waveburner is only useful for a task: when you have to burn a big audio file and it need to be splitted on to CD Audio tracks without actually splitting the file.

Usefull enought. Did it supported ASIO or plugs?

This is a great App. for CD Project Burning.

It was included with Logic Studio V2 (Logic Pro 9); then was mysteriously ripped out of the Apple Download version of Logic Pro 9.  This bummed a bunch of users out, but it was done since it's stability on anything higher than 10.6 was an issue and Apple did not want to fix things to make it compatible.  So again, prices lowered for the masses... and the big picture was "Ahh... CD Burning... who listens to audio CDs anyway" and "Yeah... we are removing optical drives from our new macs anyway"

Yeah, it had several OS X versions, but it had its roots on OS 9.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 05:05:45 PM »

true, and even that seems more elegant in adaptec jam. (i am not even sure if in waveburner it fully complies with the redbook specs)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 08:31:43 AM »

true, and even that seems more elegant in adaptec jam. (i am not even sure if in waveburner it fully complies with the redbook specs)

I think is time for someone to explain the Coloured Books.

There is a post asking to burn 24/96 audio on DVD-A that has me spent 2 hours trying to domumentate if is posible and ended up  revisiting MacWorld 2001 and missing old times.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 08:44:10 AM »
CD is dead, today we needed to educate young colleagues in vinyl mastering. :)

but btw, some version of toast also does not force you to have 2 seconds of rests between tracks or a minimum length of 4 seconds per track. you can even create oversized images with some programs.

better to know things by heart...

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 08:57:53 AM »
CD is dead

No way. It is still the way for bands to get the gasoline to come back from gigs.  ;D

Spotify is more used than CD players, surely.

But I still prefer listen to CD than to Spotify.

today we needed to educate young colleagues in vinyl mastering. :)

Vinyl is a format way more dead than CD. It sounds better undoubtly than a CD, but is less convenient.

btw, some version of toast also does not force you to have 2 seconds of rests between tracks or a minimum length of 4 seconds per track. you can even create oversized images with some programs.

better to know things by heart...

I have to admit that all mastering tools I used to tweak are Windows only. Wavelab from XP age for the mastering itself +  CD Architech from Sound Forge.

Then another more modern software that created a 3 letter file for the CD factory. Sorry, cant be more acurate at the moment
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Online robespierre

• Veteran Member
  • malfrat des logiciels
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 09:22:24 AM »
but btw, some version of toast also does not force you to have 2 seconds of rests between tracks or a minimum length of 4 seconds per track. you can even create oversized images with some programs.
I thought the 2 second gap was an orange book requirement when tracks are written one at a time?
I don't have chapter and verse to quote it.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 09:29:35 AM »
Vinyl is a format way more dead than CD.

you think so? :P

CD

Vinyl

current waiting time to press records is 12+ months.

only thing why i like CDs is the size, longevity, and because of that they are also better for the enviroment. but the market is really gone now.

(edit: oh, and of course your share is bigger bc CDs cost almost nothing in production)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 09:48:40 AM by IIO »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 09:41:55 AM »
I thought the 2 second gap was an orange book requirement when tracks are written one at a time?

i dont think that track-at-once ever would have been compatible with making proper masters.

the normal way to send send masters to a printing house is to make a mac/pc readable data CD and put an image file of the audio volume into it. the question of DOA vs TAO is then irrelevant.

the requirement to create proper audio CDs at home if only physical CDs are accepted as format was limited to the period between 1988 and 1991 i think.

when i remember right it is also against the specs to have track IDs and titles during the audio plays (beginning with the 2 sends gap rule) - but many albums still do that and it works with 99% of the CD players.

but this is so long ago, i might mix CD authoring up with spaghetti carbonara or chevrolet corvette.

orange book... is CD-R! it has its own rules.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 09:54:34 AM »
so well, to sum it up, toast 5 is of course not exactly meant to create industry masters, it is made for burning CD-R.

which is on the one hand concludent and normal for such tools, and i only have a wrong perspective on it - and should pull my criticism of waveburner.

but otoh they could as well allow to create proper masters as additional feature. the first time they did that was in the JAM program, which is OSX only.

Offline ivanshpak

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 02:25:44 PM »
so well, to sum it up, toast 5 is of course not exactly meant to create industry masters, it is made for burning CD-R.

which is on the one hand concludent and normal for such tools, and i only have a wrong perspective on it - and should pull my criticism of waveburner.

but otoh they could as well allow to create proper masters as additional feature. the first time they did that was in the JAM program, which is OSX only.

And what about creating a DDP master in os9?

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2022, 05:52:10 PM »
MasterList CD
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2022, 08:56:31 PM »
hm, digi was offering burning since around 1990, before sonic studio or pyramix. but it required a digi I/O solution for many years and was only supporting specific burner models. :)

i think if you have OSX installed you would prefer jam or dsp quattro, which create actual DDP files and not only burn discs.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2022, 12:19:52 AM »
Is there a big difference between toast and jam? I thought toast could burn audio CDs so jam would be unnecessary but maybe that's only on older versions.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2022, 11:27:41 AM »
Is there a big difference between toast and jam? I thought toast could burn audio CDs so jam would be unnecessary but maybe that's only on older versions.

Huge difference.  Jam has more CD text features, crossfades and other features that toast does not have

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2022, 11:46:54 AM »

at the times of the first versions of masterlist CD people were writing DDP data exclusively to tape, because it was the only medium big enough to hold that data while beeing portable with physical mail services.

it was already called "DDP" but nobody would have thought that later you were going to export "image files" to hard disks or transfer the data via FTP upload.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2022, 03:00:54 AM »
just sourced a sony spressa scsi locally
to be compatible with masterlist CD total madness 🤣
will dedicate a quadra 950 for masterlist cd because i get 1-4 clients a year that want a cd master
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts