Author Topic: original version of MOTU Machfive supports mac os 9 but needs ILOK:(  (Read 5152 times)

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 06:33:38 PM by geforceg4 »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: original version of MOTU Machfive supports mac os 9
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 11:09:27 PM »
I went to the 1 hour demo at Mac World 2000, but went with HALion since I was in the Steinberg camp

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 01:55:54 AM »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 08:34:30 AM »
so it requires iLok...

Probably why I went to HALion, I hate iLok and have avoided it for all these years.  I have about 40 iLok plugins, but nothing that is so good, that I can't live without it.  Every time I use an iLok Plugin and then go to another unit at work or on the road (and I forgot to bounce the track), I have a plugin that won't load. So I curse and remind myself to ebay all the iLok stuff

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
Re: original version of MOTU Machfive supports mac os 9 but needs ILOK:(
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »
apart from the ilok issue (which i agree is stupid) im more worried if this software is 1st class performance or not.. has anyone any experienced opinion to share?

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
Re: original version of MOTU Machfive supports mac os 9 but needs ILOK:(
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 12:22:35 AM »
This space-age wild-blue-yonder GUI was a stumbling departure from MOTU's signature Jackson Pollack aesthetic. MachFive 1.05 will not show in either Cubase VST 4 or 5. It runs in Logic 4.7 but will not preserve settings when saved with song. It does, however, preserve with Logic 6.3.4. You can run this simultaneously on more than one computer, as the Ilok is only required on launch. This would not be my first choice in the (ease of use) performance category, i.e. clumsy keymapping, as compared to Kontakt.  In terms of sheer efficiency, Unity DS-1 (likewise not fun keymapping) in 32-bit mode with it's system level engine, 32 sample buffer and ability to run soley on the 2nd processor would outfly this dirigible. With OSX on the horizon, the heat was on for MOTU to have a broader appeal. A MOTU exec told me that no one would have left OS9 if it were not for the pressure and agenda of Apple to do so.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:45:51 AM by coachla »