Author Topic: Mac Beige G3 doesn't recognize USB CD writer  (Read 5744 times)

Offline stratman009

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Mac Beige G3 doesn't recognize USB CD writer
« on: August 13, 2016, 07:11:51 PM »
Hi Community,
Until recently I have been as happy as a Robin in a birdbath recording songs on my Beige Mac G3 w Mac OS 9.1. I use Cubase VST/24 4.1 with a Digidesign Audio Media 3 sound card. I have a Seagate Medalist Pro 3452ON external HD that recently went out on me but that's another story. My big problem is my SCSI CD Writer (Glyph Yamaha4416SX) no longer writes. As of this date I haven't found a used one that I would buy. I've been using Adaptec Jam 2.6.2 to write CDs . I also have Toast 3.5.7. I keep getting a hardware error message when I try to write. I'm not sure if the problem lies with the software or hardware. I've tried the usual stuff like re-blessing the preferences to no avail.
I purchased a new Belkin 5-port USB 2.0/1.1 PCI card on eBay that is supposed to work with my Beige G3. The computer recognizes the card in system profiler, however, when I plug my external CD writer in (Samsung SE-S084) nothing happens. The Samsung uses two USB ports. I'm hesitant to re-install 9.1 in hopes it will install the proper USB drivers because my Cubase and plug ins are old and I may have a difficult time re-authorizing them upon re-installation. If anyone has any advise it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Stratman009

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
Re: Mac Beige G3 doesn't recognize USB CD writer
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
have u tried searching for USB updates for the os you are running?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 11:09:02 PM »
Your problem is simple. Unfortunately, it sucks. The Samsung writer operates at USB2 speed (it has to naturally, otherwise you could grow a beard waiting to write or even just read a whole CD) and you're hoping the Belkin card will feed it.

It won't. Belkin claims the card is "OS9 compatible" - it isn't.
Although it is seen in System Profiler and it's supposed to work at USB1 speed in OS9 - it doesn't.
Even if it did, it wouldn't work for you because the Samsung requires USB2.
Actually, don't be surprised if the Belkin doesn't work at all on your G3 at any speed.

There is no, repeat no way to get USB2 data transfers in OS9. That's why they still had SCSI in the G3's.
You didn't say exactly which beige Mac you have, but generally, you should be able to install either a SCSI or an ATA CD-RW drive internally (assuming you have an ATA connection open - if not, itsa SCSI onna de-outside-a for-a you)

There was some discussion of this here that will only further sadden you:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3332.msg21441.html#msg21441

But HEY!
There's an external SCSI drive at: Headgap.com (model  cd4x) that should work for 50 bucks.
We're nothing if not helpful around here! Good luck.

Offline stratman009

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 03:26:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. They were very helpful. I will return the Belkin tomorrow and see if I can buy the SCSI Drive on headgap.com. If not I'll keep looking for one. I kind of thought trying the USB thing was an exercise in futility but thought I would give it a shot. Thanks again.

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 10:19:51 PM »
tbh usb with mac os 9 should be last resort following use of Firewire, SCSI/SATA
unless u are just transfering a small file such a driver or something.

check this out:
http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/fiandusb20co.html
if u already have an IDE CD-Writer kicking around (as many people do?) it might make sense to throw it in this enclosure and connect it via Firewire?

Also that way u could use the enclosure for a harddrive if u wish aswell

the page even lists compatibility with mac os 8.6 / 9.0
because they know it works!

u would still be able to use the drive or writer with modern Mac operating systems via the USB connection, this is the best-case scenario for you imho.

then again your g3 might not even have a firewire addon card then u might aswell simply get another SCSI burner as you had before.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:37:39 PM by geforceg4 »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 11:12:14 PM »
FW enclosures that support modern SATA hard drives are a great resource

Offline stratman009

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 01:33:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful. No firewire card. All things considered I think I should go with what has been working for years and keep looking for a suitable SCSI writer. Is it possible to have my current Glyph/Yamaha 4416SX writer fixed/cleaned? It has been sitting around in the ocean air for a long time.

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 04:04:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful. No firewire card. All things considered I think I should go with what has been working for years and keep looking for a suitable SCSI writer. Is it possible to have my current Glyph/Yamaha 4416SX writer fixed/cleaned? It has been sitting around in the ocean air for a long time.

yea probably a good idea to stay with the connection type thats always worked....
firewire is incredibly useful with mac os 9 though!! and reliable i think in most peoples experiences? at least for hard drive storage... but pretty sure for dvd writers aswell.

re: 4416SX
from that model number i see these specs:
http://www.cnet.com/products/yamaha-crw-4416sx-cd-rw-drive-scsi-series/specs/

which means its not even a DVD writer its only a CD writer..
in which case u should be able to find an exact duplicate on ebay to replace it with..?
but really u could get any SCSI CD writer and it should work
http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_odkw=SCSI+CD+%28burner%2C+writer%29&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XSCSI+CD+%28burner%2C+writer%29+%28external%2C+ext%29.TRS0&_nkw=SCSI+CD+%28burner%2C+writer%29+%28external%2C+ext%29&_sacat=0

but those prices are terrible..
in most cases external drives are really just external enclosure with an IDE or ATA device mounted inside.. in which case u may be able to open it up and see what interface the writer is exactly .. and if so just slide a generic IDE/ATA writer back in in its place??
you would have to open it up and make sure that it accepts an IDE/ATA device inside.. most external SCSI devices i ever seen
were IDE/ATA devices inside.. and i also have a Yamaha external SCSI burner (24x10x40, Silver). i had two of them originally but i only had one powersupply so i opened up the other one to see what interface the actual drive was inside and of course, it was IDE/ATA drive inside.. connected to a IDE to SCSI adapter of some sort which was the external enclosure part.

http://office.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/yamaha/crw3200sx.html

yours: http://www.cnet.com/products/yamaha-crw-4416sx-cd-rw-drive-scsi-series/specs/
mine: http://www.cnet.com/products/yamaha-crw-3200-cd-rw-drive-scsi/specs/

Offline stratman009

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 10:44:07 AM »
Thanks geforceg4. I'll check it out. You guys are way smarter than I am.

Offline Texas_RangerAT

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 11:02:37 AM »
Huh? I've never seen an external device with a SCSI/ATA converter inside, only true SCSI! They only started using external ATA devices when USB became popular I think. However, all the beige G3s should use an internal ATA CD drive so you should be able to replace that. You might have to live with a hacked-up or removed front bezel though if the replacement drive's tray doesn't fit the hole. The rev. A models had two ATA busses, one for the hard drive and the other for the CD drive, B and C revisions too but allowed for two drives per bus, e.g. CD and internal ATA ZIP drive on one channel. Caveat: some drives might refuse to boot MacOS so if you need to boot from a CD it could be a good idea to keep the original drive in storage.