Author Topic: A small introduction of me and some thoughts  (Read 5537 times)

Knez

A small introduction of me and some thoughts
« on: November 23, 2013, 04:52:37 AM »
Hi!

It's really nice to have found this forum. My name is Theo and I run a small music production company with a friend (http://www.session80.se).
I have a long time love affair with the Mac and the pre-OSX versions of Mac OS. I am also the founder of the Mac-related site MacDomain if anyone has heard of it.

It's great to finally have found some people interested in music production on these old machines.

Right now im using a PowerMac G4 "MDD" with dual 1.5ghz G4's, 2gb RAM, one 80gb drive for the system and apps, 500gb harddive for recording and various files, Radeon 9000 graphics. My primary computer is my PowerBook G4 "Titanium" 1ghz with 1gb RAM. Really great machine. In the past i primarely used a B&W G3 in my studio with Logic 4.81, a Digidesign Project II PCI-card and a 882/20 interface.
Made alot of productions with this setup until it died on me. Now im back and I'm really into trying to learn Pro Tools, since I bought a 24 MIX system for the MDD.

Now for my thoughts...
It would be great to have a "introduce yourself" part of the forum, as well as some area to request software. The forum cathegories are a bit messy right now in my opinion.

Well, it's fun to be here and I hope I can contribute alot to this site! Sorry for my bad english, it's not my main language.

supernova777

Re: A small introduction of me and some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 10:02:50 AM »
heya knezzy did u check the downloads i added the 5.1!
 ;)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 11:26:08 AM »
Welcome Knez. Thank you for your suggestions. Each new member is added value to this forum, especially professionals like you. Don't worry about your english, mine is worst :(
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Knez

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 02:46:33 PM »
chris9Lives: Yes, i saw that. Great! :)

MacTron: Thanks for the kind words. I have pretty much unlimited hosting on a 500/500 line that I can contribute with If you guys need it.
For hosting the site, the downloads etc. I don't like the unstability of Macintosh Garden very much, with the off-site servers etc.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 05:37:43 PM »
Welcome Knez... looks like another brother from a different mother  :D

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 02:26:02 PM »
heya knez im originally from germany so my english is worst case :D i like some of your tracks. they all have a lot of punch. what plugs have you been using to mix and master

Knez

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 02:51:02 PM »
heya knez im originally from germany so my english is worst case :D i like some of your tracks. they all have a lot of punch. what plugs have you been using to mix and master

No plugins at all ;)

I guess the secret to the "punch" is using hardware synthesizers and some light compression when recording to audio (not a compression plugin in your DAW). Making the sound go outside your computer makes ALOT of difference as well. Like just playing back your finished song through a mixing desk and then back to a stereo track in your DAW before bouncing gives the song some patina and dynamic you wont get if you just bounce your software synth's right out to MP3's for instance :)

The songs on the site are mostly done on an old Atari 1040STe in Logic 2.5 with some hardware synthesizers (Kawai K4r, Novation Supernova, Yamaha DX7, some samplers etc) and then mixed and added effects etc in Logic on the MDD before bouncing it out.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »
thanks for taking the time to answer. i tend to use a limiter on the master to avoid the red levels at all times. thats how i started with studio one before i downgraded to os9. today i have a mdd with a perfectly working media 100i xr and some audio apps on it. used to be top of the line back in the days. downside is i have to start over for the most parts because certain things dont apply to this year so you have to play around to create or recreate a certain effect.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 08:10:14 PM »
My weekend cover Band is "The Stingers"

https://www.facebook.com/SocalStingers

Under "Stingers Music" are our demo songs

All tracks recorded in Mac OS 9 with Cubase VST / 32 @ Truetape resolution, then dithered down via built in Apogee Dithering...
TC Master X3 with powercore was used for final multiband compression