Author Topic: Logic 2.5  (Read 13783 times)

Offline Lordgiffnock

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
Logic 2.5
« on: August 05, 2016, 09:55:01 PM »
Hello guys ,thanks for having me.
I've been a long time Atari Notator user,over 20 years.
I've recently purchased logic 2.5 audio for Mac with both dongles and a Yamaha cbx d-5 and I have the logic cbx extension.
I have no experience with old macs but I've also purchased a Performa 6360
The Mac appears to be working fine but when I try to open logic it freezes and I'm left with the logic start up screen,actually if I leave it for about 30min it does eventually open.
I wondered if it had some thing to do with audio part of logic so I reinstalled the midi only part but same problem?
I haven't installed a midi interface yet so I was wondering if this had something to do with the problem .
Any ideas?

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Re: Logic 2.5
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 06:45:12 PM »
If it opens after 30 minutes it could mean there is a problem with your midi equipment. So the app stalls and is looking for something or trying to activate a interface ?
have you tried a start without anything hooked up and started to narrow it down?

Offline Lordgiffnock

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 03:46:49 AM »
I don't have anything installed (re midi)
I'm wondering if it is looking for a midi interface and can't find one?
I do have an opcode x64 that I have never used so maybe I should try and find the Mac drivers for that and install them.
I have no prior Mac experience so does this make sense?

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 05:24:19 AM »
i'd start tracking down the problem. of course if you start a midi sequencer and there is no midi equipment hooked to it, there might be the issue. anyway go in your system settings and verify that appletalk and networking aren't running. it could cause headaches too.

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 11:13:39 PM »
Lordgiffnock..I started on Atari too....Lucky you to find those dongles. You can run versions 3 and 4 with them.I think those versions should launch on your Performa. I would suggest try launching 4.7, so you can watch the initialization sequence at the bottom of the startup logo window. I don't have 2.5 handy, but I just launched 2.02 on my G4 MDD dual 1.25 (with errors, of course) and 2.02 doesn't show that info.  Does launching 2.5 show that info?  Try version 4.7 just to read that info where it might be sticking. That might tell us something. I wonder if a PCI card or any other expansion card is confusing Logic. I suggest temporarily pulling out all OMS extensions (from the extensions folder in the system folder) onto your desktop and let Logic use its builtin drivers for the time being. OMS 2.3.8 installer should contain the X64 driver, however Logic's builtin drivers can find that interface. I doubt no connected interface would cause what you are experiencing. You could also disable ALL extensions by holding down the shift key on startup. Logic 2.5 should still launch with no extensions. That would be a starting point. Keep us posted what happens.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:36:04 PM by coachla »

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 09:40:34 AM »
shouldnt this post be in the emagic logic section :)

i think its definately a problem related to OMS midi network file versions
specifically using a version of OMS that is too modern/new and was produced at a later date
then the ones originally intended for use with logic 2.5
logic 2.0 comes from around the end of 1993 - early 1994.
oms

the oldest version archived on the web archive is this one from 1997:
http://web.archive.org/web/19970513102357/http://www.opcode.com/downloads/oms/mac/
but at least u can see from this that the version in 1997 was version 2.3.2
so for version 2.5 of logic.. u will probably want a version lower then 2.3.2 of oms driver
as version 2.5 of logic is from 1996 or possibly even 1995 (as far as i know)

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 10:13:53 AM »
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1094.msg10970.html#msg10970
looking here it shows a pic of oms v1.2.3 (which logic 2.5 may require??)

and looking at this page:
http://web.archive.org/web/19980624115400/http://www.opcode.com/downloads/oms/mac/
it can be seen that version 2.3.3 is from 11-Dec-97
and that version 2.3.4 is from 12-May-98

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 11:53:07 PM »
id really like to get version 2.5 installers of mac + windows, both floppy installers!
i have dongles for pc + mac i have the 2.0 installers --  just dont have the 2.5 installers.

Offline Lordgiffnock

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 03:47:19 AM »
Please excuse me but what is OMS ?

I've only acquired this logic 2.5 audio with a Yamaha cbx -d5 as a bundle.
I was originally going to use the cbx -d5 with my Atari Ste setup but that's not as easy as I thought as I've found I need a dma to SCSI adaptor which I can't find.

Anyway I thought I'll try and get it all working with an old Mac Performa .
I can certainly send the installers for Mac if I know how to do so

Offline Lordgiffnock

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 04:05:43 AM »
Coachla, thanks for your info.
I've tried holding the shift and all extensions are disabled. The computer boots much faster but same problem with logic freezing.
Where can I download version 4.7 and can I download it on Pc and open on the Mac ?

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 06:50:21 AM »
Lordgiffnock...Go to Members Downloads..... then to DAW Downloads Host Applications for Logic Anthology. Your dongle will run up to 4.8. Then to Hardware Drivers for Classic OS9 Audio/MIDI drivers for OMS 2.3.8. Don't install OMS on the Performa yet. Try 4.7 or 4.8 like I suggested booting with shift key down disabling all extensions. Have Logic just on your desktop, doubleclick it and watch the text at the bottom of the launch graphic. Let us know what it freezes at. You should be able to download to PC....Then we'll go from there...

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 09:50:58 AM »
Please excuse me but what is OMS ?
Anyway I thought I'll try and get it all working with an old Mac Performa .
I can certainly send the installers for Mac if I know how to do so

the program diskcopy creates .img image file from an actual floppy disk that can be mounted on the desktop and used as a virtual disk to install from

its a small utility file that can be downloaded from many different places online
i think it matters which version u run?
http://www.macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=23402 version 6.3.3
http://www.macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=23410 version 6.1.3
http://www.macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=23405 version 4.2

maybe someone else can further instruct u on how to create disk images from the disk
that will work for someone else to install logic 2.5 (provided they have the hardware key dongle or emulator)

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 10:00:17 AM »
Hi
I have the Mac installer only.
Sure I can send it to you.
I've been using Atari st for ever and I've no idea what I'm doing with this old Mac ,so I'll need help.
I still haven't been able to get logic to work yet,it's still freezing when I try to open it but I haven't given up.
Can I download Mac files on a pc then open them on the Mac?

Let me know how to copy the files and I'll send them to you

u can download mac files on a pc, then open them on a mac..
but only if the files are encapsulated in certain file formats that are binary
such as .bin or .sit (or .sit.bin) which is stuffit format (.sit) and macbinary format (.bin)

so basically its a two step process u would have to first create the image with disk copy (.img format on the mac) and then encapsulate it by using stuffit to "wrap it" inside of a .sit archive (which is similar to .zip format) and or finally encode it to macbinary .bin format https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBinary
creating a file that ends like this "disk.img.sit.bin" where u had started out with disk.img first, then stuffed it, to .sit then macbinary'd it to .img.sit.bin
or u can just do stuffit..  img.sit is ok enough i think

there was a post made explaining how to do this on a modern mac os x OS here: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2472.0 - can anyone explain more clearly? how to create a disk copy image that is in macbinary or stuffit format?? so that lordGiffnock can share his logic 2.5 installer with us? so that we might run a MIDI only updated version 2.x of logic???
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:46:00 PM by geforceg4 »

Offline Lordgiffnock

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 07:59:19 PM »
Thanks for all the help,
Maybe I should have mentioned I'm using a Performa 6360 with os7.5 not os9, could this be an issue?

I'll try some of the suggestions later today

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 08:37:43 PM »
Thanks for all the help,
Maybe I should have mentioned I'm using a Performa 6360 with os7.5 not os9, could this be an issue?

I'll try some of the suggestions later today

i have a Performa 5200CD (1995) with os7.5!

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 10:58:12 PM »
Ideally you would want to run a minimum of 7.6.1 with Logic 2.0 or 2.5. Yes, 7.5 limits the possibilities for later versions. It's necessary to start with barebones minimum system and hardware peripherals to figure out the cause of this issue. Go to System Folder/Preferences and drag Logic Preferences to the Desktop, just so you know where you put it.  See if anything in the Logic Anthology, starting with the oldest version, will launch normally. A new preferences will be generated.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:05:49 AM by coachla »

Offline cyberish

• Veteran Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 04:41:36 AM »
I would love to get that ancient Logic 2.5 for Mac as it should work with a serial number.

Offline Lordgiffnock

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2016, 02:03:21 AM »
There is 2 dongles and 2 very nice manuals one for logic 2.5 and logic audio 2.5

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 07:29:53 AM »

wow cool - i didnt know there was a cbx extension boxed product
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 12:12:06 AM by geforceg4 »

Offline Lordgiffnock

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2016, 06:41:41 PM »
Here are some pics of what's going on.
I start computer with shift held down and it says no extensions.
I click hard drive and click logic 2.5.
Now it doesn't start at all even after 30min .