Author Topic: Chicken and egg... I want to upgrade but 8.0 won't read extended format...  (Read 6225 times)

Offline jamey777

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Current setup:

Powerbook 1400c
OS 8.0
Boots up fine
Compact flash adapter for pcmcia

I would like to install 9.1, however it looks like 8.0 cannot read extended (it came in 8.1 from my research)

I tried to burn a bootable 9.1 from the ISO but as it turns out my cd drive is the 8x and cannot read burned cds, only manufacured cds.

So I can't install from cd.... can I install from the compact flash?

Would I just need to extract the ISO contents from 9.1 and run them?

Not sure how to proceed.

Thanks,

Jamey

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
Take care. I think if you finally can find a way to boot a 9.1 installer CD you have to choose custom install and uncheck the update hard disk driver options. If not unchecked the installer would not finish.
I would have to find the documentation about this but I just read some articles about older apple laptops and if memory  doesn't fail me I think I read about this problem.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline jamey777

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
So my problem is I can't even get the files onto the laptop. Can't read burned cds, and can't read extended format compact flash.

Are these my only options?

1. buy > 8.0 mac os off ebay (my cd can read manufactured)
2. buy a different cd drive and put it in
3. get a pcmcia network card and move files on it that way

Jamey

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
I can't help with your problems but here is the article i mentioned.

http://lowendmac.com/2008/whats-the-best-mac-os-for-your-ibook-powerbook-or-macbook/

PowerBook 3400c
The 3400 originally shipped with Mac OS 7.6, but these machines will comfortably support OS 8.6 and up to 9.1, any of which will work well provided you have enough RAM installed. You can apparently install OS X on a 3400 using XPostFacto, but I would advise against it. The old 603e just doesn’t have the muscle to run OS X decently. However, OS 9.2.2 should run fine via installer hack if you need it for application support.

Note that if you are installing Mac OS 9.1 on a PowerBook 3400 running Mac OS 9.04, you must perform the installation without updating your hard disk drivers or your computer may stop responding during installation. To prevent the Installer from updating your hard disk drivers, click Options in the Install Software panel of the Mac OS 9.1 Installer and deselect the option to update your hard disk drivers.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline jamey777

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
ha Phil, I totally did it anyway even though you warned me.... I am installing it the update now but definately you have to uncheck the disk drivers...

thanks!

Offline jamey777

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
got it!

for future users, here is what I had to do:

1. ms dos formatted cf card with real xp machine (not vm)
2. downloaded 8.1 update in .bin format to card
3. put .bin on hard drive of mac
4.executed, it unstuffed to hd on mac
5. installed 8.1

now the computer can see the extended volume format

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
sounds like a tight squeeze.  ;D

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
Great. Thanks for writing this up to all of us.

But i'm confused. You originally wanted the 9.1 or was it a typo ?

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Why do you need 9.1? - I much prefer 8.1.
I hope you've maxed out the RAM!

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
In the article I linked the author also recommends 8.1 for the 1400 model for speed though he is using 8.6 mostly.

Offline jamey777

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Well, I was using PCs back in the day so this is all new to me.... I figured 9.1 was the latest os so why not use it (for the 1400 anyway)

As it turns out I only have 16mb of ram so I can't install 9.1 etc. I stopped at 8.5...

My goal with this machine was to run sounddiver (a synth editor / librarian) and opcode vision. Sounddiver is ok but Vision wants more ram.

Oh well :-) At least I have the editor.... I will probably have to pick up a wall street at some point (using a serial midi interface)

Thanks,

Jamey

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Sounddiver is ok but Vision wants more ram.

Have you actually crashed Vision using less RAM? Have you tried reducing the memory allocation in the info box? Vision will likely run with far less than its recommended memory.