Author Topic: sound diver was originally known as "sound surfer"  (Read 6960 times)

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
sound diver was originally known as "sound surfer"
« on: July 20, 2016, 02:18:41 AM »
just read this in an article on the tweakheadz site
http://tweakheadz.com/vintage-sequencers/

does anyone know anything about whether or not that software was also on macintosh platform?

it also mentions MOTU Unisyn was originally called "XoR"
the original of which i think was for Atari?

is it possible that perhaps "Sound Surfer" was also for the Atari? or maybe the Apple II?

the names kind of make sense, that the program exchanged hands legally and was renamed "diver" instead of "surfer"

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
Re: sound diver was originally known as "sound surfer"
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 11:17:03 PM »
In 1994 I used SoundDiver 1.4 and 1.5 on my 7100. SoundSurfer is the librarian only, SoundDiver is the librarian with editing. Emagic USA was then in Grass Valley, California. Around that time MOTU released Unisyn, which I acquired. Diver was hands down the best as you could write your own adaptations to edit synths, though when checksums fail Unisyn might be prove successful.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:17:17 AM by coachla »

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 01:41:28 AM »

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 05:36:09 AM »
To surf is to  audition, to dive is to edit....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 05:55:46 AM by coachla »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 08:29:25 AM »
Wow... that helped.  I remember that program from back in the day (but never personally used it); "sound surfer" / "Sound diver" I never connected the 2, thanks guys :)

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 09:20:06 AM »

awesome post Coachla :) thank you!

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 12:29:04 AM »
More nostalgia...Sounddiver 1.4 California surfer bag

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 12:53:23 AM »
Apple bought Emagic which had distribution rights to Sounddiver and resposibility for the customer support. Apple did not buy Sounddiver. But Apple's business conduct does not allow Apple employees to develop software in spare time which might compete with Apple's current or future products. So, their contract now with Michael Hayden, owner of Sounddiver, precludes him from continuing with the program. I'm certain he would be enthusiastic (and flattered ) by everyone continuing to use what he so dedicated his time to perfecting to make life easier for electronic musicians.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:39:31 AM by coachla »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 08:11:14 AM »
Apple bought Emagic which had distribution rights to Sounddiver and resposibility for the customer support. Apple did not buy Sounddiver. But Apple's business conduct does not allow Apple employees to develop software in spare time which might compete with Apple's current or future products. So, their contract now with Michael Hayden, owner of Sounddiver, precludes him from continuing with the program. I'm certain he would be enthusiastic (and flattered ) by everyone continuing to use what he so dedicated his time to perfecting to make life easier for electronic musicians.

Yes, it seams that for everything Apple acquires, there is a double edged sword.  I cannot be any happier about Logic Pro 9... I think it is the pinnacle development of any Apple absorbed product.  The speed, stability, and features are amazing.  Logic Pro X on the otherhand, which seams to have less of the "magic" left in it from emagic. has great features, but remains, after many updates, riddled with critical bugs and issues... ohh well... time marches on