Author Topic: USB 2.0 NEC chipset at 2.0 speed  (Read 15342 times)

Offline Texas_RangerAT

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
Re: USB 2.0 NEC chipset at 2.0 speed
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2016, 03:25:30 AM »
Update: seems like the card doesn't work at all! I tried it in an MDD FW800 running Tiger and got no signs of life from the card. Looking at it more closely I should have returned it straight away - there's what almost looks like a burn mark on the PCB itself (although oddly enough far from any active components that I could see, so maybe it's actually corrosion) and the metal shields around the USB ports are actually rusty!

Offline trag

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 10:04:17 PM »
It's been a while since I had an OSX system running, but might the German guy have been running OSX with OS9 on top of it in Classic mode, or whatever it's called?  That mode where OSX booted the machine and classic is running in a window.  Seems like in that situation the OSX device drivers might be used and the data passed to the classic environment at the higher speed.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 06:43:31 AM »
Update: seems like the card doesn't work at all! I tried it in an MDD FW800 running Tiger and got no signs of life from the card. Looking at it more closely I should have returned it straight away - there's what almost looks like a burn mark on the PCB itself (although oddly enough far from any active components that I could see, so maybe it's actually corrosion) and the metal shields around the USB ports are actually rusty!

btw, are you aware that you might need that extra driver from apple to run generic usb/fw PCI cards without device driver? only in OS9 that is an included feature.
insert arbitrary signature here