Author Topic: having a hell of a time with two different monitors with OS9 on Sawtooth  (Read 11808 times)

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
Re: having a hell of a time with two different monitors with OS9 on Sawtooth
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2016, 04:14:50 PM »
  I believe the Mac Edition ATI Radeon 8500 AGP card is another candidate, with the same port configuration as the 9200LE.

radeon 8500 is one of the best cards for the g4 in my opinion because of its 100% solid drivers.. and its like 3rd best in performance next to the ti4400 + ti4600 cards

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2016, 05:39:31 PM »
so yea i did get the other card installed and it seems to work, but i have had trouble getting the 2nd video card to show anything but 1024x768 as an option.. there is only "recommended" no "all" option. 

When I copied over the drivers from this page http://howfunkel.com/ and drag them over (i had to extract the hqx file since i didn't have a native OS9 app to unzip these) but it made a folder of files.. more than 6-9 files..  but when i did it.. it messed things up again..

but another OSX reboot as instructed and i was back in business..  so yea at this point it feels like using the drivers provided a the link are bad as they mess up the Rage 128..  so anyway it's minor for now since i don't have room for a dual monitor setup in the music studio.. too much other gear competing for precious table space..

Thanks for the tip on the card.. i'm not doing any 3d gaming and such so the rage is plenty for me.. and i only have one agp slot so replacing it seems like a bad idea, unless you're saying cards like the 8500 themselves do support dual monitor from that single card.  That could be a game changer. 

Thanks,
Caleb

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 08:44:15 PM »
  Just a quick follow-up to something I said earlier - I've now tested the Radeon 9000 Pro AGP card with two DVI monitors attached.  The first screen is 1920x1080 and the second is 1920x1200, both the native resolutions of these LCDs.  I prefer to use pairs of monitors in a vertical stack configuration so I can have roughly a page-proportion view spanning the two monitors.  (I have this config on two PCs with stacked 1440x900 monitors making for a combined resolution of 1440x1800.)  This gave me a combined resolution of a 1920x2280!  I can fit almost the entire length of the MacOS9Lives.com forum home page in view without scrolling.  This is the largest OS 9 desktop I've ever had working - Pretty damned awesome!  I'm going to have to buy more of these cards since they seem like a good OS 9 2D solution for dual-digital and are probably much easier come by at better cost than dual-digital Geforce cards.  I should also mention that the 9000 is fanless - that combined with the screen area I can achieve is going to make for some extremely pleasant DAW usage.  It also seems like the most sensible card to permanently install in my OS 9-on-Xserve machine because it will physically fit in the available space and doesn't require an additional power input.

Next I did something I've absolutely never tried.  Leaving the 9000 in as described above, I then added the Radeon 7000 PCI back in and hooked up the 1024x768 LCD as a third display.  That worked too and seems to have been accepted perfectly fine simultaneously by the ATI Displays control.  This now makes me wonder what the physical permitted limit really is for number of monitors on OS 9.  I love experiments in maxing out hardware, so this will encourage me to try some very ridiculous configs.  I'll report back on my findings later.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 09:01:25 PM by MacOS Plus »

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2016, 01:13:21 AM »
yea that's really cool.  i've done the vertical stacking before too and it's really nice for things like you said.. forums.. and pdfs.. and spreadsheets. 

I will look into those cards.

the question of how many.. i bet there is no real limit beyond the physical number of cards you have.. each card handles the workload of displaying so it's not likely to tax the OS significantly.. and it's all digital management so i imagine more

I did an OSX test with a program called "air display" which allowed me to hook up to 4 iOS devices to an OSX machine..  so it was a macbook pro and a 26" vertical monitor.. plus an ipad and two iPhones.. all working as extend monitors.. heh..  good times

Caleb

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2016, 06:08:07 PM »
yea that's really cool.  i've done the vertical stacking before too and it's really nice for things like you said.. forums.. and pdfs.. and spreadsheets. 

I will look into those cards.

the question of how many.. i bet there is no real limit beyond the physical number of cards you have.. each card handles the workload of displaying so it's not likely to tax the OS significantly.. and it's all digital management so i imagine more

I did an OSX test with a program called "air display" which allowed me to hook up to 4 iOS devices to an OSX machine..  so it was a macbook pro and a 26" vertical monitor.. plus an ipad and two iPhones.. all working as extend monitors.. heh..  good times

Caleb

That Air Display thing sounds right up my alley!  I'm definitely going to try that out some time.