Author Topic: trouble moving instruments in FreeMIDI (solved)  (Read 6247 times)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
trouble moving instruments in FreeMIDI (solved)
« on: July 13, 2016, 03:06:37 PM »
Hi Everyone,

This feels silly to ask but for some reason I add instruments to FreeMIDI (it's working great) but for some reason it seems like there is no way to move the instruments around..  i can reroute the "wiring" from a device..  but the icon itself for each one seems locked and i can't find a key combination or option to change this..  any left or right click makes the instruments patch list appear.. 

I'm using FreeMIDI 1.48 with Digital Performer 3..  hardware I have hooked up to it are two MTP AV's networked together and one of them is connected to the G4 Sawtooth running the latest stable build of OS9.  Everything is going great other than this one minor yet kinda crippling problem because it really makes it hard to wire up 20+ midi devices and make sense of it all. 

Thanks!
Caleb
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 10:32:21 PM by part12studios »

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
trouble moving instruments in FreeMIDI
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 03:16:57 PM »
I found the manual for DP3 here https://www.adrive.com/public/WTtyv3/Digital%20Performer%20v3.0

going through it it reads like you just drag the instrument icon around as you like.. but for me.. left or right clicking on the icon results in the "patch list" appearing showing what patches I can select and this works..  but it's keeping me from being able to drag the actual icon around and I can't figure out why it's being like this.

Thanks,
Caleb

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: trouble moving instruments in FreeMIDI
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 07:33:15 PM »
I don't know man, this sounds like a Homer Simpson D'oh!

There's an item in the MIDI menu: "Popup Patchlists"
If it's checked ON, that's what you get.

Don't feel bad - this stuff happens to everybody…

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 10:00:22 PM »
@GaryN and that was EXACTLY IT!  heh heh..  yea i must have clicked it by accident at some point not even knowing i messed with it... or it was some default setting in the install i got.. but yea that did the trick!    Resolved! :)

Now I have to google how to get back to an acceptable resolution for my monitor.. seems the 720p screen didn't like the lower rez I wanted to go with..  the monitor is 26" but its kinda far back so i want to go lower rez so everything is bigger..

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 03:57:54 PM »
seems the 720p screen didn't like the lower rez I wanted to go with..
When you say 720p it makes me suspect it's a video, not a computer monitor.
Just because it has a DVI or HDMI input doesn't mean it will auto-lock to whatever rez you throw at it. Video screens are all over the map in this regard - some do, most don't.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: trouble moving instruments in FreeMIDI (solved)
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 04:38:54 PM »
well its "more tv" than monitor i think in terms of resolution support.. but it has VGA.. HDMI..  DVI... so it can do all that..  i mean it does have a "resolution" i was just saying 720p as a reference point..  it's like 13xx x 768.. so yea it was working totally fine till i decide to try a lower rez..  but i have other monitors that are normal and should be fine.. i just have been busy with other things (wiring up all the midi / audio for studio) before i need to get back on the computer again to "wire up" FreeMIDI now :)