Author Topic: the many different types of synthesis  (Read 4678 times)

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
the many different types of synthesis
« on: July 05, 2016, 07:38:48 AM »
trying to make a list of different types of synthesis (by software or hardware etc)
if anyone would like to help me complete this list!?

Analog (moog, juno)
FM (dx7)
Vector Synthesis (wavestation, yamaha SY)
Linear Arithmetic Synthesis (d50,d550, d110)
Phase Distortion (casio CZ)
sample-based synthesis (jv880, u110, u220, akai, e-mu etc)
Physical Modeling Synthesis (Korg Prophecy, Lounge Lizard?)
Granular Synthesis (maelstrom?)
Subtractive (ensoniq esq1, subtractor? )

combinations
Digital Sample-based Subtractive (Korg m1, JD800, JD990, korg 01/W)
Analog Subtractive (Juno-106,Juno-60, Jupiter, SH101, mc202,JX8P)

is there any other type i've missed here in this list?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:13:29 AM by geforceg4 »

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: the many different types of synthesis
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 09:09:08 AM »
It's more complex than that. You can set a few theoretical categories but in the practice, most virtual or real synths are a combined set of categories.
I'll put you an example: The famous Yamaha DX7 or its virtual counterpart NI FM7, its based on a digital, additive, non lineal, phase modulation engine.
... and not based in frecuency modulation as it's name suggest :(
and can be used to do basic additive synthesis (lineal)  or even sustractive synthesis (in the NI version only)...

... so, we can discuss about each synth into what category it can be included. And it's no easy usually.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 10:03:15 AM »
... anyway ...
I have tested most of the  VST instruments that work on Mac Os 9 and I can make a short list with the main ones, as a guide to newbies:

Additive synthesis:
Cameleon 5000
Virsyn Cube

FM synthesis
NI FM7
Crystal
FM Heaven

Wavetable synthesis
Waldorf PPG Wave
Steinberg PLEX
Steinberg Xphraze

Multiple synthesis
Virsing Tera
NI Absynth

Subtractive Synthesis
GMedia impOSCar
NI PRO-53

Samplers:
NI Kontakt
Steinberg HALion

ROMplers:
NI Kompakt
Sampletank

NOTES: there are dozens of Subtractive Synths also called analog synths. But in virtual format those are always digital :) I had choose only the best ones. I left all the Arturia stuff (minimoog, moog modular and CS 80) because it's low quality sound.
I recomend to try  reFX Junox2 ( Roland Juno Emulator ) because it's the best for PWM ( pulsewith modulation ) and it have a superb sound.
GMedia impOSCar can do Additive synthesis.
Cameleon 5000 can do resynthesis.
There's dozens of ROMplers too. But most are based on Kompakt, Halion or UVI engine (Mach Five). I usually prefer the sampler libraries to be used with mi favourite sampler than those  " one library only " limited  ROMplers.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 12:21:54 PM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 03:33:29 PM »
really cool list!  8)
a greatly usable reference guide if compared to the list i posted........ to clearly show the actual plugins available here and how they compare with hardware counterparts

for example:
Sybtractive VSTs: impOSCar, pro53 can be compared to:
other software: the subtractor in reason as well as
real hardware synths that do subtractive  synthesis  such as the junos + jupiters etc
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:50:34 PM by geforceg4 »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 08:22:19 PM »
There's dozens of ROMplers too. But most are based on Kompakt, Halion or UVI engine (Mach Five). I usually prefer the sampler libraries to be used with mi favourite sampler than those  " one library only " limited  ROMplers.

If you are a true Keyboard enthusiast, then the VI versions of these famous synths will be what you want with knobs, Filters, and dozens of other sculpting tools; however, if you are in need of say a "Moog Bass" or an FM7 lead patch quickly, then the sampler route is sometimes a better choice since it is usually a very high quality recording of the original instrument.  This approach will be less versatile, but some great sounds are instantly available without the need for tweaking.  Since I am a guitarist by nature, I like this sampler method these days.  I used to spend hours creating a sound I thought was incredible and unique with Absynth, only to load a HALion or EXS24 patch, compare it to my "killer sound" and the sampler synth patch sounded better and cut thru the mix much clearer.  I am sure this is not true for the users that spend days or week to really craft some great and unique synth patches, but I urge the newbies to learn to use the samplers in and out first... then as time permits, attack one VI at a time.

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 05:04:11 AM »
the oberheim synths called "matrix"  use something called "Matrix Modulation"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberheim_Matrix_synthesizers

a historic product line of analog synthesizers from Oberheim featuring a method of synthesis which Oberheim called "Matrix Modulation" as a method of defining preset and user patches.