Author Topic: Can OS9 send midi clock / notes over modern USB MIDI Devices?  (Read 3382 times)

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Hi there,

I was looking at the Beatstep which is a cost effective CV/Gate solution that I'd like to have.. but the problem is that MIDI-wise it only supports MIDI OUT..  in order for it to send CV from a DAW (in my case Digital Performer 3 under OS9 of course) the Beatstep would have to get it's information via USB.

I'm eager to know because I found it locally for sale and I want to jump on it, but not if I can't send a MIDI clock to it. 

Thanks,
Caleb

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Can OS9 send midi clock / notes over modern USB MIDI Devices?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 06:09:57 PM »
Asking the same question in multiple categories may get you multiple answers but they're likely to be the same answers.

FreeMIDI may or may not recognize this thing as something to send anything to - let alone clock.

You're going to have to buy it and try it. If it doesn't do it for you, resell it.

Mixing brand-new modern hardware with the old stuff is always going to be a trial-and-error proposition.

Offline part12studios

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Can OS9 send midi clock / notes over modern USB MIDI Devices?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 06:43:13 PM »
yea i really think it's going to come down to just testing it..  the guy selling it isn't close so i really don't want to put him through all that for something like this.  nice enough guy..  but yea I can get by without it.  I don't own any heavy CV gear..  mostly just triggering percussive type things / noise gates which I can fake with my K2500R or SR-16.. 

Thanks!
Caleb