Author Topic: Website redesign?  (Read 5712 times)

Offline Chefsessel

Website redesign?
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:19:43 AM »
Hey there,

I've been mailing with Jerry a few month ago (yes, I excuse ... I've been really busy lately as I married, changed job and moved to a new home) about redesigning the website. I do code a lot of web stuff at my day job and while I'm not too keen on spending more time in front of an editor, I do believe that it would be fun to create a Mac OS 9 lives website with Classilla as lead browser on my good old TiBook!

According to the Classilla FAQ, we're talking about HTML 4.01 and CSS2 (ah, no css box shadows alas! :D ) in terms of compatiblity and I think it would be fun to code away just like we did it a few years ago. Might add in some leightweight Javascript if necessary (though I prefer it clean & quick).

As for the design, I am no designer (maybe someone would help me out on that?) but I'd really love to recreate sort of a platinum style theme. One that makes visitors think "oh my god! I remember the look, it was sooo uber cool!".

Now, I don't want to force something upon anyone, so I'd be interested to hear what y'all think about it first?

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: Website redesign?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 12:51:03 PM »
From my point of vie a "Paltinum Design" for a website is not that good. Have a look at http://www.ppcmla.com/ It is nice for the first 2-3 visits, but than it is very nasty. I see my desktop every day so I don

Offline Chefsessel

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:54:16 AM »
nah, I don't take it as an offense, don't worry :)

I can see someone already recreated the platinum style ... nicely done! I like it.

After reading up in the Classilla FAQs I think it would be best to use HTML4.01 / CSS2 for the styling and avoid javascript until it gets further improved.

Any more opinions on that?

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 11:16:52 PM »
I welcome any help in re-vamping the Mac OS 9 Lives site... and even a complete re-write... (I would like to keep some of the graphics I did in photoshop).

The current site was slapped together in just a few days... and I did not expect any interest... I am glad I was wrong... as far as the forum goes... I like the Simple Machines format and we have been able to avoid the spammers so far. My day job at the computer store, wife and kids, and my weekend gigging with the band keep my schedule packed so I apologize for the lack of time I have had to expand and/or modify the site.

Offline EVWeb

• Newcomer
  • My Brain Runs on Mac OS 9
    • Galactic Software
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 11:38:38 PM »
I agree it should be in the platinum look.

A few other notes:
I think a link to the forums should be in the menu bar.
It would probably also be nice to have links to the Macintosh Garden as well as Emaculation for running Mac OS 9 in SheepShaver.
Programming Vaporware Since 2002

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 09:42:50 AM »
A complete re-write is welcome by any who want to contribute.... although I cannot pay you for your time... hopefully, your interest in keeping Mac OS 9 lives is enough

I can be contacted directly at 951-658-9200

- Jerry

Offline Chefsessel

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 01:34:46 PM »
Today I've had some time at work to invest into a design for os9 lives. My boss was ill so I could spare some hours and wrote a basic design in the old style. My goal was to keep it very lightweight and compatible, with Classilla 9.3.2 as target.

That means using tables for layout (yikes!) and no fancy CSS3 / JavaScript stuff. Tinkering with the old ways was fun though. I am not yet ready and it still bears my employers logo everywhere (in case one of my collegues would ask what I do ;) ). So I have to get it out and get the content integrated. May take this weekend until I can post some screenshots or upload it somewhere for some real live testing.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Awesome...
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 09:43:35 PM »
That is the best news I have heard in a really long time  ;D

With 2014 knocking down the door.... I am so happy that the re-write may actually happen... it is much appeciated

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 12:09:02 PM »
is it really neccessary to use tables for layout with classilla? surely it must support even the most basic of css?
i must come clean, although i havent admitted it openly as of yet. my background is in webdesign (moreso then audio production! ha!)