Author Topic: Macintosh TV Question  (Read 10014 times)

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
Re: Macintosh TV Question
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2020, 02:35:09 PM »
Hey Nano… is there a size restriction on just how much HD that Mac will recognize or address? Dropped Caleb (part12studios) a note about your need as he recently acquired many SCSI drives from his visit to the Mac Museum and if he can’t provide you with a drive, I may have one suitable for your use. Post your req's here and we'll work forward from that. Cheers!

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2020, 03:24:54 PM »
IIRC, on non PowerPC Macs anything larger than 2GB as boot drive will not be recognized. The trick with 2GB partition on a larger drive will not work. Formatting non Apple drives might be an issue as well.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2020, 07:00:19 AM »
Hey Nano… is there a size restriction on just how much HD that Mac will recognize or address? Dropped Caleb (part12studios) a note about your need as he recently acquired many SCSI drives from his visit to the Mac Museum and if he can’t provide you with a drive, I may have one suitable for your use. Post your req's here and we'll work forward from that. Cheers!

Greatly appreciated.
The system had a 160 MB drive in it and I'd like to keep it roughly in that range just out of the desire to keep it as original as possible. No more than 2gb though due to this comment 
IIRC, on non PowerPC Macs anything larger than 2GB as boot drive will not be recognized. The trick with 2GB partition on a larger drive will not work. Formatting non Apple drives might be an issue as well.
Don't want to tempt fate with that.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2020, 05:32:48 PM »
Collected some likely candidates today and after the SyQuest / SCSI exercise,
I've now a direct "shunt" to easily test them all - possibly as early as tomorrow.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2020, 08:35:53 PM »
Thank you everyone who helped with this.
The good news, is that the Macintosh TV is now restored back to it's sort of original functionality.
The original problem was the hard drive died. 
And in trouble shooting that a capacitor blew.
And in fixing that I accidentally ripped a capacitor off the analog board.
With a few new caps and a different drive, use of a third party tool to initialize and format the drive,
And boom.  It's back to functioning.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!