Author Topic: URL Manager Pro  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
URL Manager Pro
« on: June 21, 2016, 06:48:10 PM »
URL Manager Pro is a bookmark program, that let´s you manage, store, group, import, export, exchange, sync, ... all of your URLs. It is nicely integrated into your webbrowser, ftp program and more.

As I got a real mess here with all my URLs, I needed to find some solution. And URL Manager is really great.

http://www.url-manager.com

Sadly the download for the latest Mac OS 9 version from 2003 is not working anymore there. So I searched the net for an other source. I also had in mind that there have been localized versions. And after a quick search I found the 3.1.1 for Mac OS 9 in German, Spanish, French, Italian and Russian (!)

ftp://ftp.smsmac.com/url-manager.com/pub/

You have to go to the folder osx - as URL Manager Pro 3.1.1 works also with early X versions, and download the .hqx files there. Previous versions 2.7 also exist there in Japanese and Swedisch. Also you can download tons of addons, 100 page manuals in different languages and much more.

Get this stuff from the ftp, as long as it is online, sadly all the localized versions and additional programs are not offered anymore directly at the webpage! And even the english download link gets you just to the latest 4.4.5 dmg for X 10.6 and up.

MY personal plan now is to have the URL Manager database at a WebDAV or FTP and so have all my URLS in the "cloud" and can access them from everywhere. ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 08:10:11 PM by Mat »

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: URL Manager Pro
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 08:44:30 AM »
Yep, if you use a lot of URLs/browsers/machines bookmark management can be a problem.

Importing and exporting between web browsers is ok, but things soon get out of sync.

With Netscape, you can have an alias of the prefs ƒ i.e. Preferences:Netscape Users:Your Profile can be an alias to another folder. This is useful if you have several system folders on the same machine - they can all point to and share the same prefs ƒ. I've not tried this across a network yet.

With Classilla, I have a couple of profiles set up. One uses a preferences set which is stored on my server, so whichever Mac I use I have a common set of prefs and bookmarks. However, this technique slows down Classilla.

Another technique is to just make web page(s) full of your links and store it on your web server. You can then access it from anywhere on the internet. It's a bit more effort to create though.

Anyway, I'm trying out URL Manager Pro 2.7.1 ( ftp://ftp.smsmac.com/url-manager.com/pub/url-manager-pro-de.hq ) right now.

Looks like when URL Manager is open, it adds an extra couple of menus to Netscape/IE/iCab.
One is for bookmark management - add a bookmark in one browser and it will be available in another. This bit seems to work well so it is worth looking at.
It doesn't work with Classilla, but maybe 3.1.1 does (I couldn't expand the download of that version).