Author Topic: NEW TO ME  (Read 5427 times)

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
NEW TO ME
« on: June 21, 2016, 02:45:41 PM »
Yay, I just got a new-to-me G4 Sawtooth to add to my collection.

G4 450Mhx 2 GB RAM 80GB HDD. Case is in excellent shape.

Now, I have issues: No usb keyboard seems to be able to issue any commands to it until after the OS boots (no target mode, no open firmware, no option boot). So that leads me to think that perhaps there is some hardware problem, although the USB works fine in OS 9 and X.

That internal firewire 400 port, now that gives me an idea of putting a firewire hard drive in there.. . .  .

Or even moving my more modern G4s ( The QS? The MDD?) into it's housing......because the housing is in near new condition---and not that "only colour you can have is silver....."

Thoughts. . . . .

15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: NEW TO ME
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 03:20:54 PM »
Now, I have issues: No usb keyboard seems to be able to issue any commands to it until after the OS boots (no target mode, no open firmware, no option boot). So that leads me to think that perhaps there is some hardware problem, although the USB works fine in OS 9 and X.
Methinks you're probably not using an actual Mac keyboard…? Nothing else sends a Mac command or option key signal, so no "Command-anything" until after the kext has loaded to translate. Did you have to "identify" the keyboard to the OS the first time you used it?

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 04:45:29 PM »
Methinks you're probably not using an actual Mac keyboard…? Nothing else sends a Mac command or option key signal, so no "Command-anything" until after the kext has loaded to translate. Did you have to "identify" the keyboard to the OS the first time you used it?

Mac keyboards are all I have! Nope, never needed to identify it at all, I just plugged it in. I have both a 2007 wired keyboard (white and aluminum) and a standard black Pro keyboard. Using one each time, I tried and no result--it just booted straight into OS 9.

So let's hope I do not ever need to get into OF or do a reset of NVRAM! Although funny enough, Option boot is working after all, but any of the letters pressed it seems to ignore them.

15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 10:59:28 PM »
Okay… you've got me stumped. I can't think of one good reason for this.

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 01:36:46 AM »
Neither can I. But I have pressed the reset button on the system board and still does not work (that was the last idea I had). It does not make any sense to me, but alias it appears that this Mac just does not like the letter keys at boot. Sigh.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 01:47:22 AM »
So USB is working well, but not during booting, right? Not at all? Really strange issue!
I expect that you already tried all different USB ports? And that you have no 3rd party hub inbetween or similar.

I would start deattaching everything that is possible.  RAM, PCI cards (if present), Airport card, CD/DVD drives, ... everything thats possible.

Subsequently I would take some different HD, and start to install the system from scratch, and see if the behavior changes.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 05:58:50 AM »
Or even moving my more modern G4s ( The QS? The MDD?) into it's housing......because the housing is in near new condition---and not that "only colour you can have is silver....."
The MDD motherboard doesn't fit into a Sawtooth case in any way. The Digital Audio and QuickSilver can, but take care of the fine print like audio connectors, and heat sinks  ...
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 06:30:23 PM »
dont gut the system.. sawtooths can accept many different cpu upgrades.. they are worthwhile to just leave as-is.

if u are having strange problems with a sawtooth..  i suggest u download and use the system-specific installers for the sawtooth AGP systems that i have posted about MANY times + posted download link to find .. u can use the search engine on your own i wont google it for u

or ignore what i said completely ;) i really dgaf ;)

Offline Steve_W

• Enthusiast Member
  • 88 MPH
    • UK Mac Files
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 03:41:09 PM »
I had this problem (no keyboard access during boot) on a G4 many moons ago.  The problem was a 3rd party mouse plugged into they keyboard, in turn plugged into the Mac.  I disconnected the mouse and it worked OK.

You've probably got a genuine mouse though!  Only other thing would be to remove mouse fully and only have the keyboard plugged in.

The only other thing I can think of, is somehow the kext is not loading properly when POSTing.

I'm n ot a programmer so that's the end of my tech support!

Good luck!
Powermac MDD dual 1.25ghz (9.2.2/10.4.11)/Powermac MDD 867mhz (9.2.2)/12 inch Powerbook G4 (9.2.2)/15 inch Powerbook G4 (10.4.11)/Powermac G5 (10.7.5)

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 03:32:11 PM »
Solved the issue, and it was the one Steve_W noted--third party mouse in keyboard USB port.

So just plugged the 3rd party mouse into the Mac monitor (23" ADC) and now everything is fine and dandy.

Thanks to Steve_w for that!