Author Topic: Wanted: MDD Power supply  (Read 5035 times)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Wanted: MDD Power supply
« on: June 13, 2016, 06:28:58 AM »
So my FW800 dual 1.42GHZ took a dump over the weekend.  Kind of bummed as it was on of my test machines.
So if any one has a power supply that will work with it let me know.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Re: Wanted: MDD Power supply
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 08:40:36 PM »
Ignore please.
I swapped the PSU with another MDD I had so all is good.

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 09:49:46 PM »
  I'm short one MDD power supply.  (Three machines, two power supplies.)  I'd like to find one for a reasonable price.  Shipping always gets expensive on these.  I also need a replacement FW800 case rear plastic panel because one case came to me with a chunk busted out where the power supply screw goes through the back.

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 10:27:38 PM »
I don't have an extra, but what I did was use an ATX extension cable, and rewire it for the MDD power connector. This way if I come across an MDD and suspect PSU issues, it is easy to test. Now that I think about it, I never did make a +24-28V line, but the units I have powered worked without it. Of course, a typical square-ish ATX supply will not fit in an MDD case!

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 05:04:50 AM »
I don't have an extra, but what I did was use an ATX extension cable, and rewire it for the MDD power connector. This way if I come across an MDD and suspect PSU issues, it is easy to test. Now that I think about it, I never did make a +24-28V line, but the units I have powered worked without it. Of course, a typical square-ish ATX supply will not fit in an MDD case!

They will run fine without the 24v rail.  You just won't be able to use an ADC monitor as there will  be no power for it.

Offline will9

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 08:42:39 AM »
I wonder what the average power draw actually is, and whether the PSU could be replaced with something smaller/different, not requiring fans at all? (think console power-packs)

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 10:11:18 AM »
  Nearly every AGP video card I have is ADC-type and I do have one ADC monitor, so I'd prefer to get an original power supply.  I'd rather keep all my configuration options open.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 03:21:32 PM »
They will run fine without the 24v rail.  You just won't be able to use an ADC monitor as there will  be no power for it.
I have successfully helped preserve my PSU by running my larger Cinema display with an external power brick. The large ADC displays put a serious load on the MDD PSU.