Author Topic: question mark at restart but not at normal start!!!  (Read 3535 times)

Offline MauserMan

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
question mark at restart but not at normal start!!!
« on: June 12, 2016, 11:39:57 AM »
Hi guys!

I'm trying to get my old PowerMac G4 933 Quicksilver up and running again using Mac Os 9.2.2.

All is almost ok, I have a few problems still, but one of them is this. My computer seems to not find the system folder if I do a restart, or if the computer itself does a restart after an install that requires restart.

BUT. If I shut down the computer via the shut down menu in the finder menu, then it has no problem finding the system folder.

The things I've tried so far is:

Erasing the prefs folder
Rebuild desktop
reset PRAM

I have two 40 GB HDD:s on the ATA66 ide cable. Does it matter if the master hdd or slave hdd has the system, could that be a problem?

If anyone have experience on how to solve my problem, Im all ears.
I really would like to have my old system up and running again.
Thanks a lot :-).

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
Re: question mark at restart but not at normal start!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 01:33:12 PM »
Whether this will do anything, but worth a try if nothing else is working.

Open up startup disk control panel and click on OS9 disk and restart the computer. Watch to see on start up if anything changes from previous experience.

This is called blessing the System Folder - some old Mac Talk.

Any other OS's on the 2 disks?

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 04:34:00 PM »
What are you "Brands" of the 2 drives, Western Digital drives also have a "Single" jumper setting (No Jumper at all) for a master drive when no slave is present on the cable, but do require a jumper if you are using a slave drive or if the WD drive is configured as a slave a jumper is also needed.

I recommend configuring the Main OS drive as "Master"

Lastly, a 3rd hard drive can be but on the slower IDE controller under the optical drive (in the ZIP drive bracket) if needed :)  Use it for Project backups :)

Offline MauserMan

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 11:46:23 AM »
Thanks guys for your input. Sorry for the late comment on this but i've been quite busy for a couple of days.

Anyways, I think I'm going to try another systemdisk. I'll try to find Mac Os 9.2.2 (the Swedish version), since that was what my Quicksilver came installed with when it was new.

Bugs me that I can't find a driver for my "Logitech Cordless S530 Mac" Keyboard and mouse, but one problem at the time, right ?

I'll update you on my progress.

Thanks!!

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 03:27:51 PM »
So, should we take that to mean you actually checked / tried the previous to people's suggestions and they didn't work, or that you're convinced your computer only speaks Swedish?